Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalikot View Post
    Im sad to say that calibration doesnt really do much in my usecase. I typically only get 6.5-8 hours of use on mine. I do stream twitch (flash player) for alot of hours though. I didnt even play games and I charge at night (at below 30% battery) so that I have full battery for the next day.

Still better than most laptops but I wish it would really go 10 hours
    flash uses a lot of CPU resources. AFAIK it isn't something that is offloadable to the video decode engine, so you'll get a lot worse battery life than "light use". Especially in twitch's case since its both hitting the wifi AND the CPU for the workload. So 6.5-8hrs seems about in the ballpark I'd expect. I get around 7-8hrs of use with light-medium gaming, which battery drain wise is probably on par with streaming twitch. I seem to be getting closer to 10hrs in lighter use, like web browsing, email, etc and closer to 11-12hrs watching movies (stored locally).

Netflix, the bit I have used, seems to indicate I should get around 9hrs, give or take a bit (maybe 10hrs downhill with a tailwind), streaming. Netflix though DOES use the video decode engine, so CPU utilization is low (I can't compare wifi utilization between twitch and netflix, but I'll assume they are roughly comparable).

I also use mine with screen brightness set to about 40%. So if you use it set a lot higher, I'd certainly expect at least an hour+ less run time than set to a lower setting.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Out of curiosity was the game loaded on the HDD? Or internal memory? If the HDD, if you have a fair number of level/scene/resources loads from the HDD I can deffinitely see that kill battery life.

Most 2.5" HDDs burn somewhere in the .5w range with the heads parked and around .9-1.2w idle, but around 2.5-3.5w during disk activity. During disk activity, that is probably as much as the entire T100 uses during light activity.

By comparison, to get roughly 10hrs of battery life under light use, that means about 3w of average power draw over those 10hrs (31whr battery), so disk activity would mean nearly doubling battery drain, not including GPU load or heavy CPU load gaming itself. So just the HDD being pretty active during light use should roughly halve run time.

SSD by contrast tends to be a little less power when in use than a HDD, but it also immediately drops down to a lower power idle (no disks spinning still) and also tend to have even lower power consumption at idle than most 2.5" HDD with the heads parked.

Part of the reason why, even though I am interested in the 500GB dock, I really would yank the drive and slap in a 60/120GB SSD right away. Idle power on most of those are .25-.5w depending on the model, plus the instant it is done with reading/writing it is back to super low power. Probably see half the "extra" power draw with an SSD over a HDD in the dock.

Limited experience, but using the HDD that was in my laptop (Hitachi 500GB 2.5" 7mm drive, possibly identical model to what is in the T100 dock) in a small USB3 enclosure hooked up to my T100, just playing around with a little benchmarking, I managed to burn about 4% battery power in about 10 minutes of use. By comparison, that is around 30 minutes of power use for normal operations.

So HDDs, for the smallish batteries in our T100, can consume a rather inordinate amount of power.

One thing you could try to do, if it is exposed in the power options, is set the HDD to park the heads a lot sooner. I suspect it isn't exposed, as it normally isn't for USB drives, its up to the USB controller to determine things like disk hibernation (which I HAVE to assume is implemented, but at a guess is probably 5-10 minute setting).
    Yes,the game was loaded on the HDD,and it's a new game,the resolution was droped to 800x600 to be playable,with the keybord on,on web browsing i can get 6,5 hours,but the new charger that asus gave it with the tablet(3A),charge the tablet fast,about 3 hours from 0 to 100%

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    http://sdrv.ms/KkURi1

I wonder is this is real wear or wrong readings from it? Ill try to push this down as much as I can...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dare_v View Post

I wonder is this is real wear or wrong readings from it? Ill try to push this down as much as I can...
    What is this battery program called?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_oh View Post
    What is this battery program called?
    BatteryCare
    Ivan_oh likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dare_v View Post

I can't see the image, but probably real. Its what the battery is reporting to the system for wear level. Sure, it could be inaccurate, but it is based on a few different metrics, AFAIK.

Figure it is accurate +/- 3% from the reading.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    My wear is now only 2%, thats why im guessing if thats correct. I plan to keep tablet plugged and see how far it Will drop. If it goes under 0% we'll know its not real

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lefteris82 View Post
    Hello. My battery is reducing through the night 12:00 until 9:00 a.m. . It loses 20% . Is it normal ????

I unchecked the keyboard wake up option in device manager.

(all latest updates and 2.20 bios)
    I'm on 2.14 bios, have not updated anything, I left it at 100% last night and in airplane mode without keyboard... after 6 and a half hours I'd lost 2%.

If I update the bios is my battery life going to drain like that?
    Last edited by Carmel; 01-17-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    In hindsight Carmel I would stay on 214 bios as my issues started around bios 220 I think.

Does anyone know if those of us on 223 can roll back bios versions?

EDIT: I have just forced a bios downgrade from 224 to 216 (don't want to post how - yet) and will let you all know if that improves connected standby!
    Last edited by andy_g; 01-17-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the warning... the one issue I have with 2.14 is if it is charged for a prolonged period it sometimes shuts off... is that damaging the battery? I heard that gets fixed in later bios updates?

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links