Thread: Screen brightness and other misc ramblings

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times

Screen brightness and other misc ramblings

How is the screen brightness, colors, etc.. on the T100? I currently use a tf201 set at about 75% brightness. I very seldom have used the "super brightness" function of the tf201 the 2 yrs that I have had it. I figure the T100 to be more like the tf300. I consider the tf201 to have a very nice screen and is the only tablet I have to compare to the T100. I saw some mentioning of a "dim" screen on the T100 during my readings on this forum.

Really torn on the T100 vs the Dell Venue 11. Tried desperately to get in on the 300 + tax, dollar deal thru the MS Store but it never worked out so I ended up placing an order for a T100 thru Amazon at the 350 price point. Ends up costing about about 30 dollars more. Should arrive one day next week. Looking forward to replacing my tf201 and ditching Android, but I am still uncertain if the T100 is the right choice.

The Venue looks very promising but not sure if it is "worth" the extra dollars(approx 150 more, without keyboard). If I look back now I would be very hesitant to spend the 600 dollars I had into the tf201+ dock (which I can count on one hand the number of times I have used it). 99.9 percent of the time I am just using the tablet. If I bought a venue I would more than likely never purchase the keyboard for it nor do I see myself using the keyboard much that comes with the T100 based on my usage of my tf201. Although the TF201 has been a decent machine I feel that Asus dropped a bomb with the wireless, GPS, and rear camera issues and never put any real effort into addressing those issues, so I am somewhat soured on Asus. The TF700 is what the TF201 should have been all along

Thanks for listening.
    Andy
    Last edited by addoraa; 12-06-2013 at 05:44 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    The screen is definitely dim. But it's completely serviceably indoors and I usually only keep the brightness at 50%. So I think it has plenty of brightness for indoor use.

I got my T100 for $380 (64GB model at Walmart). I've been thinking about the Venue 11 Pro. But that will cost an extra $250. $500 for the tablet and $130 for the keyboard. Though it might be worth it. Since the Venue gets me a higher resolution 1080p display, faster Z3770 processor, better build quality and materials, and a better keyboard with second battery. I probably would have gone with that first if it wasn't so back ordered. I got impatient and picked up the T100. It's nice for the price, but I want something better.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    I work in an office that is really well lit and I have the brightness two levels from full on my T100 and it's more than bright enough for me. I do feel that Asus might have rushed this device to market to compete with other tabs like it. There are a few bugs that still need to be worked out but with the 2.20 BIOS I have seen positive results and hope it continues. I have yet to have any crashes while I'm working with the tab and only one memory error requiring a single reboot and thats it so far after 11 days ownership.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Ravynmagi, did you use to be on the old Everex thread on hardforums, one of the first to tear apart their XT5000t?????? Believe it or not a good friend dropped his "working XT5000t" off yesterday for me to reinstall the OS for him.

Rob thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on the screen it helps.

Anyhow thanks for the insight on the screen, the t100 is supposed to be here Monday so I will get to check it out first hand, and if not to my likings will go back and I will get the Venue instead. If I get the Venue I am really only interested in the tablet for now. I figure if a keyboard is need I can just plug a USB keyboard in. The larger screen, higher res, replaceable battery, full size USB 3 port on the tablet, approx 20% faster processor, 10 point vs 5 point screen, gorilla glass, and rear camera are very attractive. Another one I had looked at was the HP Omni 10, 16x10 screen (1920x1200) which is pretty cool but only 32gb storage ($400) which just isn't enough in this day and age on a windows machine. The price point on the T100 is right on the money and attractive to most, I know that is was sparked my interest in it. If I had been able to snag one at the 299.99 price I would probably be more hesitant in searching other brands\models.

Well I finally got to play with a T100 today, nice unit but damn that screen is dim and the whites are kind of grey, how did Asus manage that with an IPS panel. Unit I played with had the brightness all the way up and auto dimming off. Not sure I can handle that coming from the TF201screen. Really bad fingerprint magnet also, but so is my TF201. Seriously considering rejecting the package Monday and going with the Venue.

Cheers
    Andy
    Last edited by addoraa; 12-07-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    I don't have any complaints about the brightness and color on my T100, especially after I tweaked my color profile using some tips I found here. I rarely run mine at 100% brightness. I'm usually at about 80% or lower if I'm in a dim room. As for whether or not the Venue 11 is worth the extra $150 without a keyboard, only you can answer that. It looks like the Venue has a nicer screen and it's full HD which is nice too. I think the version of the Bay Trail CPU it has is marginally faster too. Not sure whether or not it has more RAM, but if it has 4 GB that is a nice benefit as well.

Overall the T100 was perfect for me because I wasn't 100% sure how ready I was to commit to Windows 8.1 yet, but I really wanted a tablet and Android and iOS don't do it for me. I also knew that we are really just seeing the first generation of useable, reasonably priced Win 8 tablets now. The T100 represented a great value without be getting too invested by spending $5,6,700+ that I could have on the other Win 8 tablets I was looking at. And honestly, the T100 does some things BETTER than those expensive tablets, for example, I found that the speakers are a lot louder and clearer than most of the other tablets I looked at, including the Surface Pro.

Now that I've used it for a few weeks, I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with Windows 8.1 I love it so far and I love the T100. I really learned to love the Metro/tile interface from 2 years on Windows Phone and having the power of x86 Windows apps is amazing. My plan is to stick with the T100 and wait for the next wave of tablets in Q4 2014 or so. By then we should see the first revision of Bay Trail for even more speed and the field of $400-$600 Windows tablets will be full of great, well-vetted choices. I may buy another Asus, just move upscale a little, maybe to a 13.3" or I may go with a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 3.

Who knows?

The one thing I know for sure is, it's a great time to be a tablet fan! With Windows 8 starting to mature and Bay Trail making powerful tablets in the same price segments as Android and iPad, the gloves are OFF. We are going to see some major competition and innovation in the tablet market over the next several years. The tablets we will be using two years from now are going to make these look like TI calculators from the 1980s! What a great time to be a tablet geek!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    By placing my T100 directly next to my work HP laptop...I've found that the display on the T100 is clearly better than the laptop.

Color, contrast, and brightness are all noticeably superior.

In terms of performance, I've actually been amazed at how the onboard Quad-core processor and Intel Graphics unit operate. In reality, when running MS Office on both units side-by-side...the T100 wins every time in terms of loading the Office Professional 2013 versions of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, as well as identical files on both units. Outlook 2013 also loads quickly. I easily upgraded from the Office 2013 Home/Student defaulted version that comes with the T100.

My conclusion is that these small units pack alot of punch, and can handle WIN 8.1, Office Professional, and numerous other common-to-desktop-or-laptop applications as well as or better than my work laptop or even desktop PC.

Last but not least...the WIFI is solid and faster than my laptop as well.

No disappointments here whatsoever to this point....only very pleasant results.
    Swipe likes this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by addoraa View Post
    Anyhow thanks for the insight on the screen, the t100 is supposed to be here Monday so I will get to check it out first hand, and if not to my likings will go back and I will get the Venue instead.
    This sounds like the most practical approach.

If I get the Venue I am really only interested in the tablet for now. I figure if a keyboard is need I can just plug a USB keyboard in.
    If you don't care that much about a keyboard anyway, that might be one more point in the Venue's column..

The larger screen, higher res, replaceable battery, full size USB 3 port on the tablet, approx 20% faster processor, 10 point vs 5 point screen, gorilla glass, and rear camera are very attractive.
    For sure, all nice features. One catch can be that with Windows in desktop mode it can be really tricky to select icons and hit those little red X's, radio buttons and scroll bars and stuff and the higher the resolution and/or smaller the screen, the worse it gets. The Venue has an extra inch of screen to work with, but I can tell you I would not want the T100 to have more than 1366x768 resolution on it's 10.6" screen at least. If it was 1600x900 or 1920x1080 it would be damn near impossible for me to close a browser tab or hit a down arrow with my fingertip. I have a hard time as it is now sometimes and I don't have Vienna sausage fingers like some people. LOL

Theprice point on the T100 is right on the money and attractive to most, I know that is was sparked my interest in it. If I had been able to snag one at the 299.99 price I would probably be more hesitant in searching other brands\models.
    That's for sure. It's an outstanding deal. It was the only thing to get me to pull the trigger after a YEAR of shopping around for a tablet and being unable to decide. I don't like Android or iOS and the Windows tablets with decent performance were all $500+ which was a lot to spend on something I was unsure about. For $375 it was an easy choice once I used it in person, heard the speakers, experienced the responsiveness, saw the whole package etc.

Well I finally got to play with a T100 today, nice unit but damn that screen is dim and the whites are kind of grey, how did Asus manage that with an IPS panel. Unit I played with had the brightness all the way up and auto dimming off.
    I'm actually really happy with the screen, but I'm kind of using my past Asus netbooks as a point of comparison rather than an iPad retina or one of the nicer newer tablet screens. Though Asus had to do some creative cost cutting to come in at this price, I feel like it's more than acceptable for the dough.

Really bad fingerprint magnet also, but so is my TF201.
    This is true, though mercifully, it's only the back lid of the screen. I found a Skinomi carbon fiber skin was the perfect solution for this. Fits like a glove and has a nice grippy texture to it and looks great.

Seriously considering rejecting the package Monday and going with the Venue.
    Well maybe wait and see. I think you will be happy either way. These are two of the best Win 8.1 tablets on the market right now, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravynmagi View Post
    The screen is definitely dim. But it's completely serviceably indoors and I usually only keep the brightness at 50%. So I think it has plenty of brightness for indoor use.

I got my T100 for $380 (64GB model at Walmart). I've been thinking about the Venue 11 Pro. But that will cost an extra $250. $500 for the tablet and $130 for the keyboard. Though it might be worth it. Since the Venue gets me a higher resolution 1080p display, faster Z3770 processor, better build quality and materials, and a better keyboard with second battery. I probably would have gone with that first if it wasn't so back ordered. I got impatient and picked up the T100. It's nice for the price, but I want something better.
    I'm going to want something better too eventually. But the way I see it, it would be silly to sell off my T100 now when it's so close to perfect, only to get another tablet of the same generation with a similar processor etc.

If I hang in there until next fall, by then there will be faster Bay Trail chips and more and better and cheaper Pentium, i3 and i5 options. Now that Win 8 tablets are finally starting to take off and manufacturers have has a chance to work the bugs out we are going to see some really great stuff in this next lineup. I'm going to hang on to my T100 and wait 6-9 months. I waited a year to get my T100 and I had no tablet at all, but I was so glad I waited rather than buying a slow, expensive Clover Trail tablet or paying too much for an i3 or i5 one running Windows 8.0 that was a little buggy. By waiting, I was able to get in right at a sweet spot when Bay Trail dropped and delivered great performance AND battery life at a price that's competitive with other tablets AND when Win 8.1 was shipping with a bunch of improvements and fixes. It definitely paid off.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    The display is only dim if you don't get all the settings right...

See. http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-down-itself-2.

Look for RenoGuy's post

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times
    i keep my brightness settings around 25% ... more than enough .. i tried turning it up and it gets pretty damn bright.
    not sure how people can say it is dim at full power, but then again every set of eyes is different.
    just to note i have better then average vision (knock on wood), no need for glasses and not far/near sighted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links