Thread: T100TA Windows Update problem

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

T100TA Windows Update problem

I suffered from the Windows Update OS corruption problem with my brand new T100TA.

I managed to play with it for an hour or two before the Windows Update killed it, and was quite impressed, considering the price. I intended using this for travel.

Unfortunately, in the brief period that it was working I did not make a recovery disk.

So now I am sort of stuffed. No Reset / Restore or other fancy exercises work.

I can get into the BIOS / Advanced settings, etc, but nothing there works.

I can get a Command Box, and looking in there it seems that the PC generally works, but it is clear that the Windows Installation is totally messed-up and it does not look as if the PC can Reset from the Recovery Partition, which I assume is still there, although I cannot see it, and it may be corrupted.

One solution is to install a new Windows 8.1 on it, but then I will have an issue with the OEM key - is there any easy way to get that from the Command Box ?

BTW, I had a similar issue on a new Sony Duo 11, IMO these issues are caused by Microsoft with bad Windows Updates.

And I have seen many posts on people having this issue with the T100TA, so this is a common problem.

Edit : I have tried Asus Technical Support, but no response.
    Last edited by Swipe; 01-22-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    delete....
    Last edited by sando7; 12-08-2013 at 12:44 AM.
    Asus T100 64GB
    Asus MeMO Pad HD7
    Asus Nexus 7 fhd
    Acer A210
    HP-TP 32GB

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    A number of us have suffered the same issue. Hit F9 on restart until it sends you to the recovery menu. If it doesn't work, keep rebooting and repeatedly tapping or holding down F9 until it does work. Perform a refresh or restore, since it's a new system, I'd recommend a full restore and erase.

After that, update the bios to 2.20.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    A number of us have suffered the same issue. Hit F9 on restart until it sends you to the recovery menu. If it doesn't work, keep rebooting and repeatedly tapping or holding down F9 until it does work. Perform a refresh or restore, since it's a new system, I'd recommend a full restore and erase.

After that, update the bios to 2.20.
    I have managed to Update the BIOS to 2.20 (when Windows briefly worked inbetween crashes).

But the F9 thing just does not seem to work, I have tried numerous times.

BTW, I found the Recovery Partition via the Command Box, seems to be OK. But they have some copy protection, shows as a 1TB drive, so you cannot copy an image.

I formatted a flash drive to NTFS and am XCOPYing all the files to the flash drive.

Any ideas on how to proceed to recover the T100 ?

I will try to point the recovery procedure to the flash drive, but not sure that will work.

Edit : It doesn't, I now have the contents of the recovery partition but cannot do anything with it.
    Last edited by Jola; 12-06-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    There should also be a system restore that's about 8GB if memory serves. It would probably be best to restore from there. Failing access to that, a full install of a fresh copy of Windows would be my next step. You have to gather your activation codes before undertaking the process. There are a few who've documented the process here.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Windows boot manager

I think this was posted in another thread. I had the windows update disaster and managed to get going by disabling the windows boot manager in the bios. After that, I could recover Windows and all has been fine.

I did the 220 update and crossing my fingers renabled the windows boot mgr. I haven't had any problems so far (48hrs and counting) including a couple of reboots just to see....

I could have kept the bootmgr disabled since I don't have a 2nd OS but wanted to see if it's all fixed. . You loose the ASUS logo during boot and instead the cartoon Win logo with it disabled. Either another Windows update or the 220 bios or some combination seems to have fixed it up for me.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rpptx View Post
    I think this was posted in another thread. I had the windows update disaster and managed to get going by disabling the windows boot manager in the bios. After that, I could recover Windows and all has been fine.

I did the 220 update and crossing my fingers renabled the windows boot mgr. I haven't had any problems so far (48hrs and counting) including a couple of reboots just to see....

I could have kept the bootmgr disabled since I don't have a 2nd OS but wanted to see if it's all fixed. . You loose the ASUS logo during boot and instead the cartoon Win logo with it disabled. Either another Windows update or the 220 bios or some combination seems to have fixed it up for me.
    Thanks, tried that but did not work for me.

I am now trying to create a recovery drive on another Win 8.1 computer, but not sure how to get the recovery partition information on there in a format that will work.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    Thanks, tried that but did not work for me.

I am now trying to create a recovery drive on another Win 8.1 computer, but not sure how to get the recovery partition information on there in a format that will work.
    OK, so I created a recovery drive using my Windows 8.1 desktop, but did not include a recovery partition.

Then changed the BIOS setting on the T100 to boot from this. It did so, and ran Windows 8.1, but this was unstable and crashed again.

On a second attempt, I immediately created a new recovery drive from the T100, and also included the T100 recovery partition.

This all worked, just hope that the OEM Windows 8.1 key is still intact.

But whatever I do to the T100, it is still unstable.

Am now trying to to a complete re-partitioning and re-install, without a recovery partition (I now have it on USB drive).

Hopefully this will sort all the issues out.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, the above worked, the T100 seems to be fine now.

I chickened out of deleting the recovery partition, after dire warnings from the install process about losing OEM keys.

Still don't know why the Reset procedure from the Advanced Options boot menu did not work ???

I have the 2.20 BIOS, but in my view this is still a problem, because it cannot reset the PC from the recovery partition.

There is definitely no hardware problem with my T100.

The issues were all caused by bad windows updates, and an inadequate system BIOS.

So I am quite sure that a lot of good units are being RMA'd because of the above issues. Asus, wake up !!!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Just FYI, someone on Venue 8 Pro forum claimed to identify two "bad" updates from Windows.

They are KB2883200 and KB2887595.
    svimes and thespawn078 like this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links