Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

Sleep and wake up times

Hi, I'm considering picking up one of these tablets soon to use while at Uni. Mostly for fun more than work.

One of the places I plan to use it is my train journey (back and to from uni) which is relatively short. I originally was going to get an iPad but this seems a much better option. My question is, what is the sleep and wake up times on these things? I want to be able to pull the device out of my bag, use it for 15 minutes and then put it away again. I don't want to be waiting for boot times that you'd expect with a laptop. I don't expect it to be as fast as an iPad but I hope it's close. Can anyone offer me advice on this?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    Cold boot is 10 to 15 seconds. Wake from sleep is on par with iOS and Android. Obviously in you need to enter a password that will take longer.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply, that's really good. I assume putting it to sleep is as fast?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Also, another quick question. I live in the UK which means only the 32GB version is available to purchase. I've seen that someone has figured out how to make an microSD card appear as a folder within the C drive which means that in theory you can make this tablet have around 75GB of storage for the user.

I don't know if I should wait, issue is the 64GB version isn't coming for another 2 months and when it arrives its going to have Windows 8 Pro. I'm guessing this means that it will be priced very high (It's already 330 for the 32GB).

What do people think is the best to do? A good microSD card should be quite fast. I wish the prices weren't so high in the UK for this device, not that there is anything at this price range to match it at the moment.
    Last edited by Orren89; 12-04-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Putting it to sleep is the same as Android/iOS as well. Press the button, it goes to sleep. If you have the dock connected, you can just close it and it'll do the same, then wake up instantly when you open it.

As for storage, remember this is a Windows machine - one of the ways Windows is miles ahead of both iOS and Android is in file and drive management. An SD card just shows up as another drive; I don't even know why you'd need to make it a folder on the C: drive. You can do anything with your D: drive that you can with your C: drive.

Android, by contrast, treats SD cards as second class storage, and I don't know if iOS even supports them at all (I don't know of any iOS devices where you could even try it).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    The reason I said that was because I heard that some programs had an issue installing to a removable drive. I think I'll pick one up soon.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links