Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New BIOS 220 update firmware!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I think the trackpad might be more responsive on 220 than it was before with 214. Seems to be the case on mine.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vboyz103 View Post
    Just wanted to report that I BRICKED my couple-of-day-old T100 by using Easy Flash within bios to up it to 220. Returned it at local store and get a new one in which it does not have the window logo. It came with 214 bios however...so I'm staying put for now I think.
    Why didn't you use WinFlash which Asus pre install on the T100 and everyone else in this thread has recommended to use?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Your tip was right on

Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    Obvious point... did you unzip the BIOS file?
    Ha! That's it. Thanks! (PS I emailed ASUS Tech Support, but no reply.)

I am so used to programs reading their own archives over the last 15 years (e.g. Java .jar/.war/.ear) that I am surprised that their own BIOS update utility cannot read their own .zip archive. I will "drop down" my expectations going forward.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I have two T100 Both worked fine using Win Flash on the drivers page (Windows BIOS Flash Utility Version V2.42.0)

Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS Transformer Book T100

Upgrade from 214 and 216.

Woot!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    I updated my T100 to BIOS to 2.20. It's pretty tedious but from my memory, here's the step by step process as I recall...

Download Winflash.zip file
    Download BIOS220.zip file
    Extract both zip files to a location of your choice. I used the download folder
    Run setup.exe in extracted Winflash folder which will install Winflash
    Run Winflash
    Point Winflash into the folder at the BIOS220 file where it was extracted to and press the INSTALL button
    AFter a second or two... and nothing will seem to happen but a red text message will show in Winflash to press EXIT to install the BIOS
    Press EXIT in Winflash
    Hold your breath cause everything goes black briefly then a blue screen will come on with a progress bar showing ERASING BIOS
    Then the blue screen will show a progress bar showing LOADING BIOS
    Then the blue screen will show a progress bar showing VERIFYING BIOS
    Then you'll see a message showing shutting down.
    When all is shut down, manually press the power button
    After a few seconds, you'll see a screen that shows about 7-8 lines progress down the screen of something happening (goes pretty quick) showing several lines then OK... then it'll power off again
    Press the power button and you should load back into Win8.1

Again this was from my memory, so I may have messed a couple details up but that prety much all of it.
    Great detailed info, thanks.

> see a screen that shows about 7-8 lines progress down the screen of something happening (goes pretty quick)
    It did go by fast. Something about EC out of date. It erases/updates/checks, then powers off as you said.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't usually update BIOSes without release notes but in this case, I figured if they needed to release an update to 214 so quickly, then pulled it for some reason, then released *another* update a short time later, that must mean there's something about *both* 214 and 216 that needed to be addressed. So since I was running the pulled 216, I updated to 220.

Haven't had any problems but I also don't notice any difference. Touchpad is the same as before - I really doubt this is a BIOS thing, I think it's probably a driver thing. My T100 boots fast but it always booted fast. It's possible that charging is a little faster, but I usually don't run it down all the way before charging so it's hard to tell. Still have the speaker crackling with the screen off.

Well, at least they're working on stuff. I noticed they also released a new webstorage desktop client yesterday too.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I can also confirm that update using WinFlash works fine and the 220 BIOS seems to improve the touchpad responsiveness. As for failure to wake from sleep, have not tried charging overnight yet, but so far, all is GOOD.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    30 times
    Successfully flashed 220 with Winflash, then performed a factory restore with full erase.

Asus Live Update actually ran and installed updates this time, unlike my initial experience with a 214 BIOS system. I've verified that all of the drivers for all devices match the latest available on the Asus support site.

No more crashing or freezing, sleep works, as do restarts. Neither of which worked reliably with the BIOS that shipped on the unit.

It's too early to say for sure, but it would appear that 220 fixes most of the issues users have had with the T100. This suggests that a lot of units were returned because of that bad, early BIOS.

After updating to this BIOS, I would suggest that anyone who has experienced freezing issues or frequent crashes to perform a system refresh, at a minimum. A full restore would be even better. If data is corrupted, the new BIOS won't fix it, it will only stop it going forward.
    Last edited by Banise; 12-04-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    For the life of me, I can't get winflash to work right. Kept giving me the "Cannot allocate buffer" error. I wonder now if the clean install of 8.1 does have anything to do with it. I clean installed, downloaded and installed ALL drivers from ASUS site, and checked Device Manager and no yellow icons. Not sure what is wrong here....anyone with same experience?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vboyz103 View Post
    For the life of me, I can't get winflash to work right. Kept giving me the "Cannot allocate buffer" error. I wonder now if the clean install of 8.1 does have anything to do with it. I clean installed, downloaded and installed ALL drivers from ASUS site, and checked Device Manager and no yellow icons. Not sure what is wrong here....anyone with same experience?
    Have you tried running it in safe mode? My next move would be a restore from the factory image.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Ads