Thread: New BIOS 220 update firmware!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_g View Post
    I'm on 216 and have no charging issues even when using it as a desktop replacement hooked up to external HD TFT, USB keyboard and mouse and the system feels great overall so do I gamble and try this....
    Alot of people follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra, but I only follow that with drivers. BIOS is something else entirely, IMO, and if ASUS went through the trouble of making a new one, I think it was for a good reason.

However, if you do decide to do it, make sure that you use WinFlash, because anyone who has flashed any BIOS in any other manner seems to be bricking their machine.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chris41336 View Post
    Alot of people follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra, but I only follow that with drivers. BIOS is something else entirely, IMO, and if ASUS went through the trouble of making a new one, I think it was for a good reason.
    However, if you do decide to do it, make sure that you use WinFlash, because anyone who has flashed any BIOS in any other manner seems to be bricking their machine.
    Haha I'm well aware of that mantra but I'm a geek hence why I'm here looking at threads about BIOS versions

Good advice on Winflash, how do I know it that's at the latest version before trying a flash?

EDIT: Looks like Asus.com is down again for me anyway so maybe I'm not meant to roll the BIOS dice tonight anyway!
    Last edited by andy_g; 12-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    If the problem fixed by this BIOS is NAND eEMC corruption, a system refresh (at the minimum) might be required to resolve any issues.

Since they've provided no release notes, we unfortunately have to speculate about these things. It may not be data corruption, but data corruption would explain a lot of the symptoms that have been seen.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I like living dangerously so I just updated to 220 using Winflash.

No problems seen so far. Booted right up after flashing.

Painless upgrade but would be nice to know what exactly makes my T100 64GB "better" now.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrimoldy View Post
    To categorize judicious and skeptical BIOS updating as a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra is somewhat judgemental and naive.
    I agree, which is why I said that I follow that mantra with drivers but not with BIOS. I was simply making the point that you can't use that mantra for BIOS, and that generally a manufacturer will produce a new BIOS with a very good (and well documented) reason for doing so. This is an exception as we have no idea why ASUS updated the BIOS, first to 2.16 and then quickly to 2.20.

That being said, someone who has a registered account with ASUS and can email their support (mine hasn't arrived yet) should see if maybe support will reply with a changelog, or at the very least a list of what some of the important changes were.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    just updated to 2.20 from 2.14 with winflash.....went pretty smooth, fingers crossed.
    Asus T100 64GB
    Asus MeMO Pad HD7
    Asus Nexus 7 fhd
    Acer A210
    HP-TP 32GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sando7 View Post
    just updated to 2.20 from 2.14 with winflash.....went pretty smooth, fingers crossed.
    Let us know if you notice any differences in performance, or any new bugs.

Did you refresh your system at any point before or after updating? Also, were you having issues with your machine beforehand?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chris41336 View Post
    Let us know if you notice any differences in performance, or any new bugs.

Did you refresh your system at any point before or after updating? Also, were you having issues with your machine beforehand?
    .....i did have to refresh my system after initial set-up several days back after doing the first updates
    don't know if it was Windows or Asus updates that caused my problems...yet after the initial refresh my T100 was running great every-since....only symptoms after refresh were buggy TP & slow charging...tried charging with the Dock off and it seemed to be quicker...uninstalled Asus web storage..... disabled some gestures & the TP seemed better.
    just awhile ago i did just a straight-up flash to 2.20...unzipped & straight to win-flash.... hoping for the best i will report back if prob's occur.
    Asus T100 64GB
    Asus MeMO Pad HD7
    Asus Nexus 7 fhd
    Acer A210
    HP-TP 32GB

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    I can now see the Asus site but only 214 visible to me so guess I will have to wait a bit longer.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    I just updated to 220 using Winflash with no problems. Not sure what it fixed, but since I didn't have any known problems (excepting the damn sleep of the trackpad) hopefully it won't add any.

Funny thing. I had avoided 216 since the reported problems, but when I went to update to 220 Winflash it reported I already WAS on 216. I did some updating when I first got my T100 and 216 must have been live when I updated the BIOS and a few drivers.

Whew! Glad to have that one behind me! (kidding)

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links