Thread: Keyboard Dock (modding?)

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrickson View Post
    Back on the subject, I'm keen to mod this keyboard too. Using this T100 more than I planned i like it so much. 0 heat and fan noise makes it a good little torrent download machine too. I think if it was possible to wire into the dock an internal usb3 port and add a sandisk extreme 64gb pendrive wit hthe plastic shell removed. (220mbs read and 180mbs write)

I think with a dremel there is space to cut room for a second port. My plan is to get a USB3 dock/hub with the 3 ports and try and mod that.

I have sourced a new dock keyboard from Asusparts.eu http://www.asusparts.eu/en/partfinde...e%20pad/T100TA

Edit: Link to the keyboard dock and part number http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-90NB0451-R30290
    Nice! I'll give it some thought before ordering. There was mention of foreign models having a built in hard-drive (and so keyboards with prewired sata ports). So that would be easier than a solder job, and might be as simple as a sata->usb adapter.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Hi all, new guy here.

That's an excellent idea. Should be possible with stripped down USB hub. All we have to do is to determine where to solder the hub to the existing USB 3 port on the keyboard.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daon View Post
    Nice! I'll give it some thought before ordering. There was mention of foreign models having a built in hard-drive (and so keyboards with prewired sata ports). So that would be easier than a solder job, and might be as simple as a sata->usb adapter.
    My guess would be that the new 500GB dock uses a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter for the hard drive, since the Intel SoC seems to lack SATA support. USB should also be more friendly to undocking.

Very interesting project. I'd like to have some extra, high-speed storage in my keyboard.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrickson View Post
    Back on the subject, I'm keen to mod this keyboard too. Using this T100 more than I planned i like it so much. 0 heat and fan noise makes it a good little torrent download machine too. I think if it was possible to wire into the dock an internal usb3 port and add a sandisk extreme 64gb pendrive wit hthe plastic shell removed. (220mbs read and 180mbs write)

I think with a dremel there is space to cut room for a second port. My plan is to get a USB3 dock/hub with the 3 ports and try and mod that.

I have sourced a new dock keyboard from Asusparts.eu http://www.asusparts.eu/en/partfinde...e%20pad/T100TA

Edit: Link to the keyboard dock and part number http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-90NB0451-R30290
    its a keyboard MODULE and not a full dock... for 50 euro you will get only the keys! the full dock should cost at least twise that...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    SSD's use much higher quality NAND than USB thumb drives. They also have better speed, wear leveling and TRIM support, although I'm not sure how the latter would function through an abstracted SATA adapter.

There are also the smaller mSATA SSD drives intended for use in small form factors. Recently, some 32GB and 64GB units designed for Intel's Smart Response hard drive caches have been selling for very low prices. They can apparently be used as normal SSD's. mSATA SSD's are quite small, rarely larger than 50mm x 30mm x 4mm.
    Last edited by Banise; 12-04-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Be aware that you are going to lose external USB3 port if you implement this mod.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrimoldy View Post
    Yeah, was keeping that in mind. One option would be to solder in a 4-port USB3 hub. Then wire the existing exteral port to one of the ports on the hub. Much easier to say than do, especially in light of contemporary surface-mount soldering and multi-layer PC boards.

It's entirely possible that the internal connectors are already there, just not utilized. It's much cheaper for Asus to manufacture *one* board and just not utilize all of the connectors.
    Yeah, that will do.

It can be a fun project, but for all intents and purposes I ask myself about practicality.
    I have 37GB left on C: after all my favorite programs installed and I can free another 8GB by deleting Restore partition. I have 64GB microSD as well.
    Good enough for all my music, photos and 20-30 movies.
    I can always connect 2TB portable external USB 3 drive, which does not take too much space..

So without quick and easy pattern I probably will not do it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I have been thinking of getting this tablet after bricking my TF201. My nearest amazon is Germany and they have different models with eMMC drive and another 500 GB drive option. Reading around it would seem that instead of the android version of having an extra battery in the dock, there is space for an additional hard drive. I would love to know (if you open your up) if it's possible to fit a drive in there afterwards.
    I guess SATA is not supported so wonder what options you have controller-wise.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotMonster View Post
    Hi, I have been thinking of getting this tablet after bricking my TF201. My nearest amazon is Germany and they have different models with eMMC drive and another 500 GB drive option. Reading around it would seem that instead of the android version of having an extra battery in the dock, there is space for an additional hard drive. I would love to know (if you open your up) if it's possible to fit a drive in there afterwards.
    I guess SATA is not supported so wonder what options you have controller-wise.
    SATA to USB adapter is needed, so you can solder your internal to the external USB 3 port connectors on the keyboard. You probably could fit 7mm SSD or HDD there, although I am not sure. Naked stripped down SSD is your best bet.

But I would just order one w/500GB HDD already inside the kb dock.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Some bare bones SATA to USB adapters can be found on eBay for about $5...

So long as you got a steady hand and can see tiny details then it's fairly easy to solder the pinout to the corresponding internals... but, if you've never done any soldering before then practice on some junk electronics first as it's fairly easy to burn right through and cause permanent damage...

Mind, if space isn't as open as suspected then there's still the alternative of getting something like a mSATA SSD instead of 2.5" drive...

There's mSATA to USB 3.0 adapters that are barely bigger than the mSATA drive, which is typically the size of a full size Mini PCIe card or about 50mm in length...

With the added benefit of using less power as such cards are usually 3.3V while 2.5" drives are typically 5V...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links