Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

T100 Tablet USB port power capacity

Hi all,

This is a general question that will help me greatly in selecting (if at all) a tablet, or sticking with PC's. I work in places where Wifi signals are very weak. With PC laptops, I invariably need one of those external USB High Power Wifi Adapters, such as this one below, purely for illustration:
    150Mbps High Power Wireless USB Adapter, WN7200ND

I went to a store to look at some Win8 tablets, and the rep told me he has doubts whether some of them could handle such a device in terms of power output of their USB port. Now, I was on the verge of ordering a Tablet such as the Venue Pro 11 or Asus T100. But, if I were to know that none of them can handle an external USB wifi antenna like that, I would forgo the whole exercise and stick to ultrabooks until they do, because otherwise I shall have to use 3G internet all the time with them, and I don't care to do that for the span of an entire work day, every day (bandwidth and cellular radiation health issues bother me about it).

If anyone at all can enlighten me on this, I shall be very grateful. Either having tried such a contraption herself or himself, or with hints on how can I go about inquiring as to the mA power needed and supplied so I can make sure in advance the tablet I choose can work with such a USB device. (The rep told me he was sure, for example, that all tablets that only have a mini USB port won't support it, even through a miniUSB to regular USB adapter).

Could it be that tablet manufacturers, the lot of them, imagine that tablet users always stay on a short, max 20ft leash from the nearest router?

many thanks..

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    18 times
    The micro USB port on the tablet is a standard USB 2.0 port I believe, and the full sized port on the keyboard dock is USB 3.0. Just find out how much power your antenna requires, and compare it against the power output of standard USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 ports, and you'll be able to determine whether this device can support it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Much obliged..

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Actually, I have recently purchased USB OTG cable and while the tablet's micro USB port powers USB flash drives no problem (tried a couple), it would not power my external HDDs. I tried two drives that I have extracted from laptops and put into enclosures, no go on either. I am yet to try a brand name retail drive.

And Hello BTW, my first post here. Happy owner of 32gb T100 !

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    11 times
    The USB3 port will run it for sure. It can run everything I throw at it power wise whereas the USB2 mirco usb port will not run anything that needs more power like my 1TB external drive will not run. Just a solid light on and will not spin up. But the USB3 dock port its like any other normal full powered usb 3 spec port.

Using it I have also noticed does drain the battery much quicker too.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links