Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to enable hibernate on T100?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

How to enable hibernate on T100?

I tried using "powercfg /h on" and Windows says that hibernate is supported, however I don't see the option in the power menu. I have only sleep and shutdown. Running "powercfg /a" shows hibernate is available.

power_options_t100.jpg

How can I make the power button hibernate instead of sleep? It doesn't even show the hibernate option in the shutdown menu (alt-f4)...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Has to be enabled first, start by connecting the Keyboard dock and then pressing Windows + R keys to get “run” window and then type “powercfg.cpl” and hit enter...

This will quickly bring up the power options, then click on “Choose what power buttons do”... From there, click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable”... Scroll down, there you can able to see “Hibernate” option which is not ticked.

So tick it and then click "Save Changes"... Hibernation option should then be available...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Has to be enabled first, start by connecting the Keyboard dock and then pressing Windows + R keys to get “run” window and then type “powercfg.cpl” and hit enter...

This will quickly bring up the power options, then click on “Choose what power buttons do”... From there, click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable”... Scroll down, there you can able to see “Hibernate” option which is not ticked.

So tick it and then click "Save Changes"... Hibernation option should then be available...
    Question: There's a large (1.5gb) hiberfil.sys in the root of C: on my T100. If I don't enable hibernation can I safely delete this file and reclaim that space? If I do delete and later decide I want hibernation enabled, I'm assuming Windows will recreate that file correct?

Note: The file has a date of 11/4/2013 even thought I've used it in the past two days quite a bit. It does seem as though Windows has been accessing the file so perhaps it's needed for connected standby or just in general is needed?

Thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't have a 'hibernate' option on my T100. "Do nothing", "Sleep" or "Shut down" are my choices... yet I have a hiberfil.sys with today's date on

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    There is no option to enable Hibernate in the power options even after I click "change settings that are currently unavailable". Hibernate is enabled because if the battery goes bellow 5% I see that Windows automatically hibernates. For some reason though, it is not available in the power options.

For those that want to remove the hiberfil.sys file in the root folder - open an administrator command prompt (Win+X, then A) and type the command "powercfg /h off". This will free up some 1.5 GB of space but if your battery gets critically low, you might lose unsaved changes when the tablet turns off.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Indeed, I found this: How to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is running Windows

Not sure whether I can be bothered... I don't need the 1.5GB at the mo.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times

Scroll down (entire page and not the what the button does option)...

You can also open a elevated Command Prompt (as Administrator) and type the following command powercfg /h on, or off, and press Enter.

Let me know if you still don't see it?

And yes, if you have hibernation disabled then you can safely delete the hiberfil.sys file... Just keep in mind that disabling hibernation also disables Fast Startup for W8... meaning much slower start up and shown downs... and is why it's partially on all the time even if you don't see it as a option!
    kside likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I know where it's meant to be

It's there on my Win 8 Dell, it's not there on the 8.1 T100.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    If you don't see it then it could be because this is a Connected Standby enabled system and that supersedes sleep/hibernation... Mind that hibernate is part of the Fast Start, but you can try the command prompt command and see if it comes up in either the options or what the power button does options?

The Way the AOAC works for Connected Standby enabled systems pretty much eliminates the need for hibernation anyway... but the normal behavior should be sleep like state for the lock screen that after awhile then times out into a more hibernate like state and is pretty much all automatic...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    11 times
    I have start8 installed and hibernate is there and works. I dont know....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links