Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times

I am all in with a 32gb version thats all I could find and LOVING it!

might be the best BANG for your buck purchase ever. its going to be my main computer and its great! i do have a desktop for heavy jobs.

For what I need: surfing the web, light tablet, office, a little media its awesome. I am nervous about the 32gb being too small but i have an microsd card i think i will be good to go. I hope I am not let down. i do have a few questions and would welcome the help

1- can i put my previous .pst file on the microsd card for older email not on the server?

i did some digging and it looks like yes to the above

2- can i install all programs moving forward to the microsd card?
    3- i installed office 2007 can i / should i remove the office that came with the unit?

4- if i have about 5gb left on the unit is that ok and if not what should i watch out for [thats not so obvious] that will eat up my space

THANKS!
    Last edited by sillyrabbitt123; 11-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyrabbitt123 View Post
    2- can i install all programs moving forward to the microsd card?
    Windows 8.1 update makes that easier but it depends on the app and whether it requires to be on the main partition or not, but there are tricks to force it but means never removing the card if you do so, but for the most part you should be able to do it...

3- i installed office 2007 can i / should i remove the office that came with the unit?
    Did you make a backup of the original install? You never know when you might want to go back but if you don't intend to ever use the 2013 version then sure, free up some space...

4- if i have about 5gb left on the unit is that ok and if not what should i watch out for [thats not so obvious] that will eat up my space
    Updates, if a lot are done all at once can eat up a lot of space before the system can reboot and clear up space after the update... Junk files can also build up fairly quickly and diligent maintenance may be required.

Usually a good idea to keep at least a 3rd of the drive space free, if possible...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Windows 8.1 update makes that easier but it depends on the app and whether it requires to be on the main partition or not, but there are tricks to force it but means never removing the card if you do so, but for the most part you should be able to do it...

Did you make a backup of the original install? You never know when you might want to go back but if you don't intend to ever use the 2013 version then sure, free up some space...

Updates, if a lot are done all at once can eat up a lot of space before the system can reboot and clear up space after the update... Junk files can also build up fairly quickly and diligent maintenance may be required.

Usually a good idea to keep at least a 3rd of the drive space free, if possible...
    3- When you say a backup of original install do you mean Image Backup using windows 8.1? I did do an image backup but after I set everything up so the office files are on that image backup.

4- If I am at 5-6 or can get to 7gb is that good enough if I do not add anything else onto the main partition or am i going to be always going crazy and in need of the 64gb unit. When you say diligent maintenance meaning %Temp% clearing that out? anything else?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    3- When you say a backup of original install do you mean Image Backup using windows 8.1? I did do an image backup but after I set everything up so the office files are on that image backup.
    There's the history backup, which is the new primary Windows backup system now and there's the old image back up... The feature is harder to find but it's still there, unless you used a 3rd party utility to create the image backup... Only thing you need to make sure is that to restore the image backup that you can either still run Windows or have a back up that's UEFI bootable and compatible with the 32bit UEFI of the T100, in order to actually be able to run the restore.

While, backing up the recovery partition... using the system the recovery system allows to create a USB recovery, will allow you to still do a factory restore as long as the original files are still there on the USB to be restored... So, basically, create a USB backup of the normal recovery and you can then only worry about image backups for regular use and only use the recovery USB if you need to troubleshoot or restore system to original state.

4- If I am at 5-6 or can get to 7gb is that good enough if I do not add anything else onto the main partition or am i going to be always going crazy and in need of the 64gb unit. When you say diligent maintenance meaning %Temp% clearing that out? anything else?
    Yes, they shouldn't build up too quickly but if you have less than 10GB free then good to keep a regular eye on it... and there are utilities that will make it easier like CCleaner...
    Last edited by Swipe; 11-05-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links