Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Is my T100 defective?

Hi all

I got my 32GB T100 on Thursday, in the UK. Charged it up until the orange light turned white and began to play with it. Really enjoyed using it - already use Win 8 so the interface was fine, and using touch gestures became second nature.

Unfortunately, problems began to surface Friday morning. I left the device plugged in and charging overnight. When I woke up I picked it up and attempted to use it - swiped up the lockscreen and it froze. Nothing I could do would unfreeze it (de-docked it, changed angles etc - it didn't rotate) so I held down the power button and turned it off. When I powered it back up, I had the Windows 8 "" face and there was a CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED message. It ran through some diagnostics and booted back to the desktop eventually. After I checked through some software and stuff, I rebooted it - just out of interest. It once again gave me a "" screen and there was a 0x0000... error that I didn't catch.

At this point it didn't just sort itself out and reach the desktop - it rebooted several more times, each time with a differing error message. I did eventually get to the desktop, but the personal changes I'd made were gone - the lock screen pic etc was back to a default one, but it did know my account and I was able to log in. There was no wi-fi connectivity, despite the system saying I was connected. Control Panel didn't register my network name, but swiping the right side of the screen the network name appeared and said connected! I had a Steam message pop up saying something about administrative privileges being needed for repair, and the desktop icons for software I'd installed were pretty much all gone too. At this point I decided to enter the repair screen via the partition ASUS provides. I wiped the full disk and re-installed Win 8. Once it was done I re-set up the tablet and it all seemed OK. However, I did some Windows Updates and things seemed to instantly go wrong.

After a reboot, there was a message about the disk needing to be checked and Windows 'fixed some errors'. Then I had a black screen, but I could see the backlight was on. I tapped the power switch off/on and the on-screen keyboard flashed on/off, on/off continually, and I couldn't select anything with the mousepad. Reboot, and I was able to login again. I Installed some programs and went about using it until once again, a reboot caused a "" screen and some 'repairs'. I checked the disk and Windows said it was fine this time.

I've done another restore - and it seems OK... - but I'm really not impressed with my experience so far. I really like the unit itself so I hope it's just a defective one - meaning I should probably get replaced rather than refunded, but I need to do something because these problems have happened over 2 days now.

Anyone else having similar issues, or noticed any problems on this scale? Seems that Windows Updates might have a part to play so perhaps it's drivers, or OS instability?

Suggestions, comments etc all welcomed....!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    27 times
    Had the same from mine yesterday. Did a partial recovery, keeping my files, and it happened again later, so I did a full Windows 8.1 restore and its been fine since.

Will keep an eye on it, but hopefully its resolved now.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Had many of those problems, no idea on a solution though. But wondered if you bought it from the US as asus are not honouring the international warranty. Quite a few posts on amazon re this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
    Had the same from mine yesterday. Did a partial recovery, keeping my files, and it happened again later, so I did a full Windows 8.1 restore and its been fine since.

Have you performed any Windows updates on it etc since that restore?

Quote Originally Posted by eighthdimension View Post
    Had many of those problems, no idea on a solution though. But wondered if you bought it from the US as asus are not honouring the international warranty. Quite a few posts on amazon re this.
    Mine's from the UK, not sure if it's an international model or not. It's definitely from a UK retailer though.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by martyj01 View Post
    Have you performed any Windows updates on it etc since that restore?.
    Yes, mine is fully up to date.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    After the latest 're-build' it seems to have stabilised... I left the Windows updates on automatic rather than changing them to just notify me, and haven't done ANY of the optional drivers. I've installed all the same software I had previously, customised stuff again and it seems to be working for now. Fingers crossed it's resolved, but I'll keep testing it this week and see how it goes.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

I'm hoping that will be my result as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post

I have had no shortage of problems and aggravation since unboxing the tablet yesterday morning. I did the system restore to no avail and now am completing the full restore to begin anew. Asus online help said it should be sent in for servicing, but I called the website where I bought it and they are sending me a brand new one for replacement. If the full restore proves to do what you experienced, I'd likely tell them to hold-off on the new one - or to send that one back to them. Will keep all posted on this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Well...now I know it is truly defective. At 93% total reset it stopped and said that it COULDN'T DO IT!!! Can you imagine that?!?! I got hosed by Asus!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howserow View Post
    Well...now I know it is truly defective. At 93% total reset it stopped and said that it COULDN'T DO IT!!! Can you imagine that?!?! I got hosed by Asus!
    If you are going to get a new replacement for the defective one, how can you call that being HOSED? You apparently think that all manufactures should never, never produce a defective unit. Sorry but that is not how manufacturing of any item, especially a very compact electronic device, works. Welcome to the real world.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    i got mine just like that. and now, i cant sent to us because i buy at us and now i'm at my country indonesia. they say,i could sent to asus service near my place. i'll try that suggestion. i think maybe mine is defective either because restore the windows doesnt solve any problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links