Thread: Recovery Partition and recovery USB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Recovery Partition and recovery USB

I've been screwing around with this for a few days here. I know there's a recovery partition of 8 GB on the drive, and I'd like very much to get this 8 GB off onto a USB drive and free up the space. I can get to that partition through various means. What I can't seem to do is assign a drive letter to it, view the contents, copy it anywhere, or otherwise get it back.

It says it is 100% free, as well. When I look in the advanced recovery to restore from an image, there are non listed.

So is there anything on that recovery partition at all? Is the best bet to burn a recovery image off the system from a "reset" state?

Where is the T100 windows image and how do I get it off to get back that 8 GB, in essence. Any thoughts?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    On the 32GB T100 I got Nov. 1 there is no 8GB recovery partition only one a few hundred MB in size with some trouble shooting utilities and standalone safe mode bootable OS. Nor do I find a system recovery image anywhere on the harddrive. I called Asus and they sent me to the Asus "Backtrack" utility to create the system recovery but that is a 64bit application so right now they don't have a solution, but they said the would start work on a solution.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhunter View Post
    On the 32GB T100 I got Nov. 1 there is no 8GB recovery partition only one a few hundred MB in size with some trouble shooting utilities and standalone safe mode bootable OS. Nor do I find a system recovery image anywhere on the harddrive. I called Asus and they sent me to the Asus "Backtrack" utility to create the system recovery but that is a 64bit application so right now they don't have a solution, but they said the would start work on a solution.
    So you don't see a second disk on the partition manager?

Disk 0 is the primary and is the one that lacks the recovery partition in the 32GB model... but there should be a Disk 1 for the actual recovery partition...

This is what someone going by "Kris" posted on a Disqus post on a liliputing article on running Ubuntu on the T100 about their model's drive details...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    When I remove my MicroSD card the only drive is the SanDisk SEM32G main drive and there are no unexplained partitions on it just the ones you see in the disk 0 partition table above. So far I can't locate any system recovery image and Asus TS has only said they are working on the issue. I thought it might be on the keyboard but nothing shows up when docked.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    zeo, I think that image is of someone with an 8GB pen drive plugged into the unit. I too made the mistake of thinking that it was indeed a drive, but when I check disk management on my own 32GB I only see the 32GB SanDisk device.

Not quite sure what's happened when I've been doing the OS restore procedure so far... 700MB seems far too small for Windows 8.1 to be stored. I've chosen to wipe the drive each time (the option it describes as the one you should use when you're recycling/selling the unit), so unless the Windows files are somehow on the 700MB, actually on the 32GB or there's another piece of storage that you cannot see from within the OS I'm not entirely sure what it's doing...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    11 times
    If I was to make a recovery disk using true image or clonezilla then it would be ok to delete the recovery partition right? I want all the space i can get on this system for games and movies as well as photoshop dreamweaver etc for work.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrickson View Post
    If I was to make a recovery disk using true image or clonezilla then it would
    be ok to delete the recovery partition right? I want all the space i can get on this system for games and movies as well as photoshop dreamweaver etc for work.
    Since where ever the system image is the partition tools don't seem to be seeing it then it may not be recoverable as usable storage? If you add an micro sd card you can move large application like MS Office to the SD card that frees over a GB by itself and only uses a couple bytes on C: for the logical link to the location on the SD.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by martyj01 View Post
    zeo, I think that image is of someone with an 8GB pen drive plugged into the unit. I too made the mistake of thinking that it was indeed a drive, but when I check disk management on my own 32GB I only see the 32GB SanDisk device.

Not quite sure what's happened when I've been doing the OS restore procedure so far... 700MB seems far too small for Windows 8.1 to be stored. I've chosen to wipe the drive each time (the option it describes as the one you should use when you're recycling/selling the unit), so unless the Windows files are somehow on the 700MB, actually on the 32GB or there's another piece of storage that you cannot see from within the OS I'm not entirely sure what it's doing...
    I can get an recovery USB flash drive created on a 64 GB T100 but I am not sure it is usable to recreate a system on a different device?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by martyj01 View Post
    Nope, here's what that person stated...

Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Checking that actually made me curious, so I opened Disk Management. Here's a screenshot of what my machine is currently. What's interesting is that there's more than 32GB shown. The Disk1 recovery partition is ~8GB. Opening up Device Manager it shows a "USB DISK 2.0 USB Device" that exactly matches the Disk1 recovery partition. My conclusion is that there's actually 40GB of internal space on the 32GB models, with 32GB being eMMC and 8GB being an internally USB 2.0 attached storage for recovery.

Disk Management and Device Manager screenshots attached.
    So he apparently got a unit with a second drive internally!

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrickson View Post
    If I was to make a recovery disk using true image or clonezilla then it would be ok to delete the recovery partition right? I want all the space i can get on this system for games and movies as well as photoshop dreamweaver etc for work.
    Have to make sure those recovery options are compatible with the UEFI, particularly the 32bit UEFI this model uses, if they can't boot then they can't restore the image...

Quote Originally Posted by rockhunter View Post
    I can get an recovery USB flash drive created on a 64 GB T100 but I am not sure it is usable to recreate a system on a different device?
    Would have to be the same model system, you're not suppose to just restore to any system you want with a OEM windows license. Volume license usually means you can restore to the same model system though...

The USB is basically the recovery partition put on a USB drive, but you can also create a image backup of the whole system to be sure... but make sure it's bootable with the UEFI to be able to actually able to run the restore...
    Last edited by zeo; 11-04-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links