Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyrabbitt123 View Post
    If I make a backup recovery partition to a usb stick then delete it from the unit.... how much gb do i get back from the 64gb unit?
    About 8GB...

also if i have the usb stick with me at all times and i run into a problem where i need to restore i should be ok? obviously as long as the usb stick is ok.
    Yes, it's the same recovery but just running from the USB... I'd suggest making two copies though, as you never know if a Flash drive will die on you or get corrupted... they're not indestructible... 2nd copy could either be another USB Flash drive or you can use a old USB HDD you're not using...

any downside to removing / moving the recovery partition to the usb stick?
    Just the convenience of being able to use the recovery without needing to make sure you have the recovery USB handy and that includes anything related to its function as well... Generally, having an external backup is preferable IMO... anything happens to the system and you need it replaced then you still have the backup as well as recovering from any accidental drive wipes, etc. that could have destroyed the recovery partition.
    sillyrabbitt123 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    About 8GB...

Yes, it's the same recovery but just running from the USB... I'd suggest making two copies though, as you never know if a Flash drive will die on you or get corrupted... they're not indestructible... 2nd copy could either be another USB Flash drive or you can use a old USB HDD you're not using...

Just the convenience of being able to use the recovery without needing to make sure you have the recovery USB handy and that includes anything related to its function as well... Generally, having an external backup is preferable IMO... anything happens to the system and you need it replaced then you still have the backup as well as recovering from any accidental drive wipes, etc. that could have destroyed the recovery partition.
    Thanks again ZEO I really appreciate it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Can I create a Partition on my external 1TB USB HD with say 10GB and use it as my Windows 8.1 recovery drive?
    Or can I only use "closed" Systems" like a 8GB USB stick for that matter?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    You can use a HDD but it needs to be bootable under the UEFI... So best to set up as you would the USB Flash drive and then repartition to have whatever storage you want...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Ok I think I have figured out how to make a recovery USB flash drive with the recovery partition included on the 32GB T100, the 64GB version was never a problem just use the Recovery App from Control Panel on the desktop and select create recovery drive and check copy recovery partition. For the 32GB T100 the Recovery App from Control Panel on the desktop and select create recovery drive and check copy recovery partition option is off because the recovery partition is off until it is turned on by the Recovery application in the "Change PC Settings" on the Charms bar.

Dock the T100, connect the charger and apply power.
    Boot the system and login.
    Insert an 8GB or larger USB flash drive that I want to use as the recovery drive in the USB port on the keyboard dock.
    Open the Charms bar and select Settings then Change PC Settings and then Update and Recovery and finally Refresh your PC with out affecting your files.
    The system will pop up a banner Preparing ... at that point you can hit "Cancel" and then exit "Change PC Settings"
    Go to the Recovery App from Control Panel on the desktop and select create recovery drive and check copy recovery partition option which is now enabled and proceed to follow the prompts to make a bootable recovery drive with the recovery image included.

You can do this procedure without the charger connected and without the tablet Docked but it takes quite a while to create the USB Flash drive (I usually make two) and the Dock has the faster USB port.

The Recovery App from Control Panel has an option to delete the recovery partition when the bootable USB drive has been completed but I haven't used it and don't suggest it because Asus went to a lot of effort to secure and protect the partition having it there for recovery intact was apparently significant to Asus. I don't know if the recovery partition space is usable for system storage when deleted anyway.

It is not hard to move data and executable apps over to an SD card to conserve disk space on C: and many legacy apps can be installed there to start with.
    Last edited by rockhunter; 11-11-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: addition
    ahmedshakal2 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

This suggestion worked fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhunter View Post
    Ok I think I have figured out how to make a recovery USB flash drive with the recovery partition included on the 32GB T100, the 64GB version was never a problem just use the Recovery App from Control Panel on the desktop and select create recovery drive and check copy recovery partition. For the 32GB T100 the Recovery App from Control Panel on the desktop and select create recovery drive and check copy recovery partition option is off because the recovery partition is off until it is turned on by the Recovery application in the "Change PC Settings" on the Charms bar.

Dock the T100, connect the charger and apply power.
    Boot the system and login.
    Insert an 8GB or larger USB flash drive that I want to use as the recovery drive in the USB port on the keyboard dock.
    Open the Charms bar and select Settings then Change PC Settings and then Update and Recovery and finally Refresh your PC with out affecting your files.
    The system will pop up a banner Preparing ... at that point you can hit "Cancel" and then exit "Change PC Settings"
    Go to the Recovery App from Control Panel on the desktop and select create recovery drive and check copy recovery partition option which is now enabled and proceed to follow the prompts to make a bootable recovery drive with the recovery image included.

You can do this procedure without the charger connected and without the tablet Docked but it takes quite a while to create the USB Flash drive (I usually make two) and the Dock has the faster USB port.

The Recovery App from Control Panel has an option to delete the recovery partition when the bootable USB drive has been completed but I haven't used it and don't suggest it because Asus went to a lot of effort to secure and protect the partition having it there for recovery intact was apparently significant to Asus. I don't know if the recovery partition space is usable for system storage when deleted anyway.

It is not hard to move data and executable apps over to an SD card to conserve disk space on C: and many legacy apps can be installed there to start with.
    This worked perfectly for me. Making a recovery USB without problem. Didn't want to play with it until I had one. I suspect that the recovery partition is in a ROM somewhere in the machine and not on the SSD. Thanks.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi

I made a recovery flash drive on my 32GB model. When I accepted the deletion of the recovery partition it freed up 8GB on my drive.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    3 times
    So apparently the Liliputting review stating the 32gb is really a 40gb is correct. Interesting. Odd, but still interesting.
    Last edited by rushmore; 11-13-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Have you been able to test the additional 8 GB is it really there or just in the disk allocation table?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by clayhmn View Post
    This worked perfectly for me. Making a recovery USB without problem. Didn't want to play with it until I had one. I suspect that the recovery partition is in a ROM somewhere in the machine and not on the SSD. Thanks.
    I've also made recovery partition copy to USB drive without problem. Anyway, when i clicked on "Delete the recovery partition" option (after the recovery drive was made) and accepted it by clicking on "Delete" button, i saw "Cannot remove the recovery partition. A problem occurred while removing the recovery partition".

In "Control Panel / All Control Panel Items / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Storage / Disk Management (Local)" there is Disk0 (29.00 GB) and Disk2 - Basic, 7.04 GB, Healthy (Recovery Partition) , Read Only.

Meaby i cannot delete this partition, because of "Read only" attribute? Can i change it? "DISKPART> attributes disk clear readonly" doesn't work. It says that readonly attribyte was cleared, but it's not really...
    Last edited by yaroz70; 11-17-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads