Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Nope, here's what that person stated...

So he apparently got a unit with a second drive internally!
    I don't know what to say then...! Either that is a different model to the 32GB I have, the drive is 'hidden' from the OS somehow or something else is going on. I'm not sure that the Windows 8.1 files (and included software, e.g. Office) would fit in my 700MB recovery partition (unless there's some real magic compression going on), and the used space on the tablet seems to be consistent with a Windows install, so the files don't seem to be eating into my usable space either.

Booting into my system's UEFI Firmware Settings doesn't make any mention of the eMMC storage unfortunately (or indeed *any* storage device) so I'm unable to check for sure. I could probably boot a Linux USB/DVD and use some of the disk utilities to check further.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    I am beginning to think that the recovery images might be in "the cloud or an Asus file server" yesterday the copy recovery partition soddenly was selectable and worked

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    That would make sense if you wanted to obtain them and restore from USB or DVD, but it still doesn't explain how I was able to do a wipe/restore on my 32GB T100, because it would have had no network connectivity for the duration of the operation.

Where do you see this 'copy recovery partition' option, btw?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Control Panel on the desktop in small icon view has a recovery program the first action is make recovery drive. When you launch that it has a copy recovery partition button. For me its is grayed out again this morning but selectable last evening for a while and I created a complete recovery USB drive
    Last edited by rockhunter; 11-05-2013 at 05:04 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah yes, I see it. Greyed out for me

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Hmm, could be a quality control issue... I doubt the cloud but can't rule that out, but I would be more inclined to believe the internal USB is either missing or not properly connected.

Probably have to wait till someone does a tear down of the tablet to know for sure, may have some surprises in there...

Btw, I noticed this on the support page...

T100TA - Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS

ASUS ACReminder (To remind users the machine is plugged into an adapter when run a system recovery. It also enables recovery partition in order to proceed system recovery.)
    While an alternative is that maybe you're suppose to create a USB recovery when you first start the system... This is what Asus has done for some of the older model Eee PC's, namely the X101 that was the first $200 netbook and came with such a small SSD that it asked to create the recovery USB and then auto erased the recovery partition during setup...

Right now, I'm leaning towards believing it's either a QC issue or you need to enable the internal USB drive to see it...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I ran a recovery without the AC plugged in, although I did have at least 75% left in the battery. Ironically, it's this last on-battery restore that has (touch wood!) left me with a stable system.

I did have a quick thought though that plugging in a USB drive and then trying the Microsoft System Recovery tool might 'unlock' that greyed out tick box, but alas, no :P

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by martyj01 View Post
    I ran a recovery without the AC plugged in, although I did have at least 75% left in the battery. Ironically, it's this last on-battery restore that has (touch wood!) left me with a stable system.

I did have a quick thought though that plugging in a USB drive and then trying the Microsoft System Recovery tool might 'unlock' that greyed out tick box, but alas, no :P
    Check out this article, it explains a glitch in Win 8.1 where sometimes the recovery partition gets "lost" and explains how to fix it:

"When upgrading to Windows 8.1, it appears that, at least in some OEM co"nfigurations, a new Recovery Image is not automatically registered as part of the upgrade process. If your PC lists a blank value for the Recovery Image Location after upgrading, you can follow the steps below to specify a new location that you’ll be able to leverage when creating a Recovery Drive after upgrading to Windows 8.1..."

Windows 8.1 - Unable to "Copy Recovery Partition" when building Recovery Drive? - KeithMayer.com - IT Pros ROCK! - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    martyj01 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Great find!

I followed the article and although I haven't created a recovery drive yet (didn't have any +4GB USB drives on me that I could wipe clean), I can now tick the option during the Recovery wizard and it progresses as you'd expect. Thanks!

Not sure whether this will mean I can wipe the unit and install Win 8.1 from scratch (getting rid of * Asus stuff etc) and if all goes wrong, restore back to a working machine or not... But I'm tempted to give it a go. I'm still getting a few issues - the unit's frozen twice requiring a hard reboot during software installs and also once has failed to shut down - it left the webcam light on and didn't turn off, so I had to hold down power.

Not sure whether these are Win 8.1 quirks, hardware issues or a mixture of both really.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    If I make a backup recovery partition to a usb stick then delete it from the unit.... how much gb do i get back from the 64gb unit? also if i have the usb stick with me at all times and i run into a problem where i need to restore i should be ok? obviously as long as the usb stick is ok.

any downside to removing / moving the recovery partition to the usb stick?

thanks

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links