Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Recovery Partition and recovery USB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    My answer might not be very precise as I don't own this device anymore, but from what I remember...
    a) the storage manager showing a recovery partition as 'empty' does not necessarily mean, that it really is empty
    b) once the recovery partition got wiped/deleted/moved it's hard to impossible to get it back with full recovery functionality

What will happen if I try to restore it another time? Is this no longer possible?
    You probably need to try to find out. Worst thing that could happen is an error message like "can't find recovery image" and if it still finds the image, you can still cancel the process before it actually wipes your current setup.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N00dle View Post
    I understand some have the ROM, others don't. Seems like my regular drive is configured for use without ROM (it has the partion), while I do have one. Since both are empty, I felt like I was missing out on a lot of space...
    I decided to remove the (empty and hidden) 8gb recovery partition on disk0 and extended the C drive. Everything is still working. Also tried to make a recovery drive of the ROM which now shows in my explorer, but I can't. I guess I just have extra storage now, on the ROM? Or can I somehow turn this back into a backup partition?

What will happen if I try to restore it another time? Is this no longer possible?
    I think you should have tried to make the recovery copy on a USB drive from that 8 gb partition before you deleted it. That is what I did. Then Windows gave me the option to delete the partition for 28 gb total on C:. I don't know if the recovery USB will work but it is my hope. I have an extra copy of Win 8 if I need it.

Like the last poster said, the recovery partitions show 100% free but they can't be.

No, you can't use the ROM as storage as it is "read-only".

I don't think you will be able to factory wipe your device anymore without the recovery partition. Maybe you can ask Asus if they can provide you a recovery disk for a fee when you need it or else be ready with a copy of Windows and copy all the drivers from the Asus site. They weren't very helpful with me when I asked for help in copying/deleting the 8 gb recovery partition as I was running out of disk space as well. They said it was impossible.

Pretty sure every 32 gb has the ROM whether it be hidden or not. It is just that the recovery ROM can only be used once. The current theory is that there is a pointer on the original drive to the ROM that is wiped when factory reset as in a refurb or resell.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 10-26-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    well.. I tried to restore, but it did say 'no image found'. So i tried to make a new image on the 8 gb rom, but in order to make one I had to format the 8 gb drive to ntfs. I can totally write on it. It is not ROM. Maybe they made it appear read only, but it most definitely is not.

I think it's very weird I emptied all of those things out, while I made 0 attempts to actually do that. But whatever. I have a ton of extra space, and I can always install windows again from an SD card. If i get the same version of windows (8.1 32 bit), will it ask me for a serial, or is it in the bios?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    I wish that we could get an official ruling on this from Asus. It seems that there was a post a couple of pages back that explained how to show the "recovery disk" ( e.g. I won't call it ROM anymore if you can write to it; seems like if it was just for recovery that they would make it ROM, though, so no one could mess with it). We are just trying to piece things together as users.

I still have the 100 and 700 gb partitions and they read 100% free. I don't remember what the 8 gb partition said before I copied and deleted it but I assume it was 100% free, too. So I don't think you did anything special or "emptied them out".

I'm sure if you loaded Windows, it would ask for a license key. I always thought it was in the registry somewhere or a sticker on the back. Edit: I guess with Windows 8 you can get it from BIOS:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...oduct-key.html
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 10-27-2014 at 08:34 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks! Saving the key is a great idea

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Sorry for bump, just wanted to share.

For those who have the 32GB version with a read-only recovery ROM:
    To access it, open Task Scheduler, disable "AC Reminder" task and reboot.

The recovery ROM is just guts of a standard 8 GB (really 7.5GB) USB flash drive soldered to the motherboard.
    I've managed to unlock and reformat the recovery drive using a low-level format utility from flash controller manufacturer Phison, called Phison Format & Restore.

The drive is not very fast (27.5 MB/s read, 4.5 MB/s write), but it does provide extra 7.5 GB of disk space in addition to 32 GB primary drive.
    Last edited by ddscentral; 01-19-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    maxtro likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ddscentral View Post
    Sorry for bump, just wanted to share.

For those who have the 32GB version with a read-only recovery ROM:
    To access it, open Task Scheduler, disable "AC Reminder" task and reboot.

The recovery ROM is just guts of a standard 8 GB (really 7.5GB) USB flash drive soldered to the motherboard.
    I've managed to unlock and reformat the recovery drive using a low-level format utility from flash controller manufacturer Phison, called Phison Format & Restore.

The drive is not very fast (27.5 MB/s read, 4.5 MB/s write), but it does provide extra 7.5 GB of disk space in addition to 32 GB primary drive.
    Thanks for the info! Can you "lock" back the drive after? Being able to format the drive, create a new image and relock-it could be great.

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    That's good news. Wondering if you could go into detail on how you did this, as well as answer if you can lock the drive again after. If I can make my own image and put it on this disk that would be awesome.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    You can download the format utility from this site:

Here's how I did it:

First, mount the drive
    1. Run diskpart
    2. Type: list volume
    3. Find a volume called "Restore", note it's index. Then type: select volume <index of Restore volume>
    4. Type: assign letter=H: (or any other unused drive letter)

A new drive should appear.
    Exit diskpart.

Now run the format utility as administrator (either from command line or make a shortcut)
    Restore-v3.13.0.0.exe H:\

First, click the Restore button.
    When restore completes, click Format.
    In the window that opens, select "USB DISK 2.0" and click the Format button.

The drive should now be formatted and writable.

Never thought about locking the drive again. Maybe it's possible with other Phison tools but I haven't tried it.
    Last edited by janner43; 01-23-2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: unapproved external link removed - please review the forum guidelines, addendum two
    maxtro and rickscheller like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Just want to say that the posts by ddscentral won this thread.

The 8 GB recovery drive was seriously bugging me especially since my t-100 only had about 15 GB of free space with windows and office installed.

Since I'm running Windows 10 the recovery partition has zero use for me.

I spent hours trying to figure out how to use that 8GB.

Phison Format & Restore was the answer.

The steps in post #119 worked perfectly. Though the first time I tried to click format it failed. Running the recovery again and then selecting format again made it work. Second time was the charm.

Now I have 7 GB more of storage.

Thanks ddscentral.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links