Thread: Let's talk technical issues...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times

Let's talk technical issues...

I'm hoping a few folks have gotten their T100's by now. I got my T100 on Thursday, and after a few days I have a few issues with it. Let's start a list of bugs/features and see if we can help each other.

So far I really like this Transformer. It seems fast enough to be my daily driver (web, email, iTunes, simple games, Kindle, etc) if I can solve some of the glitches. Some of the bugs/issues I've found:

1. The biggest issue and it may be a deal breaker is the charging problem. As mentioned in one of the reviews, this thing is very, very, sloooooow to charge. As a matter of fact if it's in the dock, and the cable is connected, if I'm actively using it (web browsing, setting up my apps, etc - no games) the charger cannot always keep up and it LOSES charge. I left it overnight with 61% charge, seven hors later and it had only gotten to 93%. If it's undocked it seems to charge faster, but man this is not good. I may try a different adapter like an iPad 10/12watt model. Hoping with some deep cycles the battery will get better. Only good point is it does seem to drain pretty slowly so that helps. It would be a shame if this keeps me from keeping it. Anybody else seeing this?

2. I wish Google Chrome ran a bit smoother, but I'll give that some time until Google feels the heat on the Win8 platform. Right now IE blows it away as far as smoothness and "Modern UI mode" goes. But I really miss my extensions in Chrome.

3. The Trackpad sleeps after about 10 seconds requiring one swipe to wake it up. This means while scrolling/reading it takes two swipes to continue scrolling after reading a bit. Very annoying, hoping to find a reg setting for it but nothing yet.

4. What a fingerprint magnet. Coming from an iPad (which has that stuff on the glass to minimize prints) my screen looks awful. Thankfully when it's on you don't notice, but it's not pretty.

5. My 64gb micro SD card sticks out just enough to be likely to pop out by accident if I drop the tablet into a bag. Terrible design, wonder if I can file off the top of the card and make it a 55gb card lol.

Well that's all for now - anybody else get their T100's yet? Any issues you're seeing? Any fixes, tips, etc?

-bostonguy

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    1. Mine charged in 4 hours, at least part of the time in use.
    2. I also use Chrome on my desktop, but could live with IE.
    3. I found the trackpad to be an annoyance.
    4. Mine looked terrible after a day, front and back.
    5. Also noticed the SD card sticking out and didn't like it. Mine was a 32 GB card so filing off 9 GB won't help.

Mine had so many bugs I sent it back yesterday for refund.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    Yeah, I think for the price I'll be keeping mine regardless. I figure with some updates or found tweaks it'll bet better. Also I'd like to have a Win8 slate to hack around with.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    got mine on Friday. in general - love it.

the main problem i'm having is an extremely annoying brightness switch that happens when you go into few programs. specifically in happens with built in Mail or News or Reader apps. the moment you go to another one it restores.

even more, when I arrange, let's say, IE and Mail in a split screen format then just by shifting focus from one to another I get very noticeable brightness change for the whole tablet.

do you experience this too?

tried disabling brightness control in power settings - no help.

Thoughts?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bkushkuley View Post
    got mine on Friday. in general - love it.

the main problem i'm having is an extremely annoying brightness switch that happens when you go into few programs. specifically in happens with built in Mail or News or Reader apps. the moment you go to another one it restores.

even more, when I arrange, let's say, IE and Mail in a split screen format then just by shifting focus from one to another I get very noticeable brightness change for the whole tablet.

do you experience this too?

tried disabling brightness control in power settings - no help.

Thoughts?
    That's part of the "reading mode" enhancement feature, you'd have to disable that to prevent it... Just go to the Asus Reading Mode App and disable it...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    I also solved my loooong charging problems. I was using a 10' USB cable, and I'm guessing the resistance was too high. As soon as I switched to the stock (ridiculously short) cable my device is charging normally. It's still long for a full charge, but at least it does charge even if I'm using it.

Now if I could just keep the fingerprints off it and Google updates Chrome I'd be a really happy guy!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm getting a weird issue. Anytime I use the shift, or alt, or ctrl keys the keyboard stops working and I can no longer type. I have to re-seat the keyboard dock to get it to work again. Anyone else encounter this or now how to fix it? It seems like a bad keyboard dock, but it's weird.
    Last edited by XtremeTab; 10-28-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonguy View Post
    I was using a 10' USB cable, and I'm guessing the resistance was too high.
    I guess an electrical extension cord is a necessary accessory if you want to use the T100 while charging.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonguy View Post
    I also solved my loooong charging problems. I was using a 10' USB cable, and I'm guessing the resistance was too high. As soon as I switched to the stock (ridiculously short) cable my device is charging normally. It's still long for a full charge, but at least it does charge even if I'm using it.

Now if I could just keep the fingerprints off it and Google updates Chrome I'd be a really happy guy!
    Ok, so I know nothing about the TF100, but this sounds very much like what happens with the original Android Transformers.

For a start off, it is very unlikely that a 10 foot USB extension cable would introduce enough resistance to make a difference to the charging (unless it was faulty) - for the voltage drop due to additional resistance to be significant you would need to be drawing quite a few amps.

However, if the charging system is like that of the original TFs, the charger puts out 15 volts when it detects a TF connected - but for this to work properly any USB extension cable used must be a USB 3 type, as USB 2 cables don't have the additional connections needed to allow the detection to work. If a USB 2 cable is used with the original TFs, or you try to charge from a standard 5V USB charger/port, the TF would charge at the rate of 2~3% per hour - if turned off. Sound familiar?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Ok, so I know nothing about the TF100, but this sounds very much like what happens with the original Android Transformers.

For a start off, it is very unlikely that a 10 foot USB extension cable would introduce enough resistance to make a difference to the charging (unless it was faulty) - for the voltage drop due to additional resistance to be significant you would need to be drawing quite a few amps.

However, if the charging system is like that of the original TFs, the charger puts out 15 volts when it detects a TF connected - but for this to work properly any USB extension cable used must be a USB 3 type, as USB 2 cables don't have the additional connections needed to allow the detection to work. If a USB 2 cable is used with the original TFs, or you try to charge from a standard 5V USB charger/port, the TF would charge at the rate of 2~3% per hour - if turned off. Sound familiar?
    That sounds just about spot on, thanks. So if I find a USB 3 extension cable it should work?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links