Thread: Let's talk technical issues...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSheridan View Post
    How is the sound on the T100, has it go any bass and is it loud, don't want to make my ears bleed
    The sound when it's actually awake is pretty good - it has okay bass for the type of speakers these are, it sounds a bit better than my full size Sony VAIO in fact. The speakers are back-facing and they do sound a bit muffled from the front. It can get louder than you would expect from a device of its thinness.

I think I've decided that my crackling sound issues are happening on notifications when the tablet's asleep - it doesn't seem to matter if it's actually docked or not as I said earlier. It seems like something's happening to wake it up and give the notification sounds simultaneously and that's interfering with the sound. I have a similar thing happen sometimes when I first wake up my Windows 7 PC and it's accessing the hard drive when it makes its wakeup sound. But it's annoying to hear it whenever you get an email.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I had to RMA mine already. Was anxiously awaiting to use this thing, but the keyboard dock was defective. Functions keys failed to work, and the keyboard stopped working altogether whenever I hit the Shift or Alt keys.

I rarely ever buy a product when it first comes out, but a Windows 8 tablet is what I have been looking for. Royally sucks when you have to ship it back the next day. I also have to pay for the shipping for RMA. Kind of wish I waited now.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Mobile tech review had problems with the keyboard too. And the sd card had to be inserted 10 times before it registered. I only have to do this 6 or 7 times. Guess im lucky there.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeTab View Post
    I had to RMA mine already. Was anxiously awaiting to use this thing, but the keyboard dock was defective. Functions keys failed to work, and the keyboard stopped working altogether whenever I hit the Shift or Alt keys.

I rarely ever buy a product when it first comes out, but a Windows 8 tablet is what I have been looking for. Royally sucks when you have to ship it back the next day. I also have to pay for the shipping for RMA. Kind of wish I waited now.
    RMA'd mine too.. Where did you buy your's from that they are making you ship it back next day and pay for return shipping on a defective product?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredpig View Post
    RMA'd mine too.. Where did you buy your's from that they are making you ship it back next day and pay for return shipping on a defective product?
    I bought it through Groupon. Got a great price on it which I why I went ahead and bought it. I can either send it back to Groupon for a refund, or to Asus. Either way I have to pay shipping.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pastime1971 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by al16000 View Post
    I heard someone say somewhere (can't remember if it was this forum) to uninstall Asus Webstorage (or if you plan on using it, sign in). That fixed the issue for them. They said the 'unsigned in' state caused some kind of bug with constantly using CPU. I haven't had the issue, but if I do, I'll try that first.
    aha. that's what i have been doing wrong. i signed up, but then signed out (because i use skydrive). will do that and report back. thanks, al16000.
    unfortunately that wasn't it, i think.
    i disabled asus webstorage and product registration in the start up list.
    this morning, i unplugged it while it is on sleep, and 30 min later i found it frozen when i tried to wake it up. i had to hard-reset.

it is possible that it froze while charging over night, which i will check tomorrow morning, but now i am thinking that something bad happens if i unplug charger while sleeping.

EDIT: i contacted ASUS support, and they suggested updating ACReminderSrv. I will test that over the weekend.

EDIT: that didn't work. it still freezes after overnight charging, which may be related to "automatic maintenance".

EDIT: must be a hardware issue. Sometimes, it freezes upon rebooting.

EDIT: must have been a hardware issue. RMA'd it, and bought a new unit. No freeze so far.
    Last edited by pastime1971; 11-20-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    T100, N7, N4

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonguy View Post
    I'm hoping a few folks have gotten their T100's by now. I got my T100 on Thursday, and after a few days I have a few issues with it. Let's start a list of bugs/features and see if we can help each other.

So far I really like this Transformer. It seems fast enough to be my daily driver (web, email, iTunes, simple games, Kindle, etc) if I can solve some of the glitches. Some of the bugs/issues I've found:

1. The biggest issue and it may be a deal breaker is the charging problem. As mentioned in one of the reviews, this thing is very, very, sloooooow to charge. As a matter of fact if it's in the dock, and the cable is connected, if I'm actively using it (web browsing, setting up my apps, etc - no games) the charger cannot always keep up and it LOSES charge. I left it overnight with 61% charge, seven hors later and it had only gotten to 93%. If it's undocked it seems to charge faster, but man this is not good. I may try a different adapter like an iPad 10/12watt model. Hoping with some deep cycles the battery will get better. Only good point is it does seem to drain pretty slowly so that helps. It would be a shame if this keeps me from keeping it. Anybody else seeing this?

2. I wish Google Chrome ran a bit smoother, but I'll give that some time until Google feels the heat on the Win8 platform. Right now IE blows it away as far as smoothness and "Modern UI mode" goes. But I really miss my extensions in Chrome.

3. The Trackpad sleeps after about 10 seconds requiring one swipe to wake it up. This means while scrolling/reading it takes two swipes to continue scrolling after reading a bit. Very annoying, hoping to find a reg setting for it but nothing yet.

4. What a fingerprint magnet. Coming from an iPad (which has that stuff on the glass to minimize prints) my screen looks awful. Thankfully when it's on you don't notice, but it's not pretty.

5. My 64gb micro SD card sticks out just enough to be likely to pop out by accident if I drop the tablet into a bag. Terrible design, wonder if I can file off the top of the card and make it a 55gb card lol.

Well that's all for now - anybody else get their T100's yet? Any issues you're seeing? Any fixes, tips, etc?

-bostonguy
    Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but when I read through this thread I decided to make an account so I could give my help / opinions about this tablet (which I also have).

I want to start by addressing the problems listed at the beginning of the thread.

1. Mine also charges VERY SLOWLY. This is a problem with the fact that the charger is only a 5v 2a, and the battery is much larger than those found in iPads and etc. Realistically, they should have made this tablet compatible with the 18W transformer charger (link below). Don't waste your money on an iPad 12W charger! I had the same idea and ended up purchasing one just for it to not work. Turns out iPad chargers only push 12w to Apple devices. All others get only 5w (5v 1a) from the charger.
    Amazon.com: ASUS 10/18W Power Adapter for Transformer Series Tablets: Electronics

2. Try Google Chrome Canary. It's the alpha version of chrome, and it supports gestures. It includes a desktop version and a metro version which essentially puts Chrome OS within Windows 8. It's a bit buggy, but way better than chrome without gestures.

3. I can't say I've had any issues with my touchpad sleeping, but I don't use the dock that much.

4. I totally agree that this thing is a fingerprint magnet. The best way to counter this is to get an anti-glare screen protector for the front and a skin for the back. (This is speaking out of experience with other devices that have the same problem) My recommendations are Skinomi for the skin and as far as I know there is only one anti-glare screen protector for the T100 right now, by a brand called "Kai". The skinomi screen protector will be better about the fingerprints, but It's been my experience that the anti-glare ones just don't really hold fingerprints much at all. (links below)
    Amazon.com: Kai Anti Fingerprint Screen Protector for 10" Asus Transformer Book T100 T100ta Tablet Laptop(new): Computers & Accessories
    Skinomi TechSkin™ for Asus Tablets - Skinomi TechSkin™ for Asus Transformer Book T100

5. I haven't even tried putting a microSD card in there yet, as the 64GB internal storage has been plenty for me. However I do know that some microSD cards are a hair longer than others, maybe you got one of those? On another note, if anyone is looking to purchase a microSD card for this, your best option is a Samsung MicroSDXC. The Samsung SD cards are many times faster than the other cards out there right now, and these cards will allow you to take full advantage of the micro SDXC slot's high speed rating. (USB 3.0 Equivalent of Micro SD card slot)

Also, a shout-out to al16000 for the battery drain tip, of which I've suffered since like two days after buying the tablet. I can't even leave this thing alone without being plugged in for a few hours without massive battery drain. It's incredibly annoying.

I would also like to ask if anybody else has answers to these issues with the tablet:

1. After about 4-5 hours asleep, the tablet gets locked up and won't wake up.

2. About half the time, when I shut down the tablet (not sleep), the LED light next to the webcam lights up and will stay lit until I turn the tablet back on. In fact, I'm not entirely sure the tablet is shut off when this happens, I think it might just be locked up.

3. This thing will straight up refuse to connect to some wireless networks. At work there are three networks, one for secure access, one for another department (but is significantly faster than the other two wireless networks), and one for general use which is very slow and heavily firewalled. The only ones I have access to are the open one and the secure one, which works, but I usually use the faster one and I can't with this tablet. The network in question has WPA2 security encryption which requires a passphrase. When I try to access the faster network, I just get a "cannot connect to this network" message, with no other info. It also sometimes has issues connecting to the 5GHz wireless network at my house.
    Last edited by Sean89us; 11-11-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    ilovetofu likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89us View Post
    1. Mine also charges VERY SLOWLY. This is a problem with the fact that the charger is only a 5v 2a, and the battery is much larger than those found in iPads and etc. Realistically, they should have made this tablet compatible with the 18W transformer charger (link below). Don't waste your money on an iPad 12W charger! I had the same idea and ended up purchasing one just for it to not work. Turns out iPad chargers only push 12w to Apple devices. All others get only 5w (5v 1a) from the charger.
    Amazon.com: ASUS 10/18W Power Adapter for Transformer Series Tablets: Electronics
    I don't think this charger will help. It seems to be the same as the one that I got with my Asus TF700 that only puts out 10W (5V x 2A). The higher wattage output is 15V x 1.2A which what the Android tablets use for fast charging. This is according to the printing on the charger.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Either way, a much more capable charger should have been provided or available.
    On another note, I just checked the ASUS Support page, and there is a BIOS update available as of 11/5/13. I don't have my tablet with me right now to try it out, but you guys should download it and check it out. It appears to fix a variety of problems.
    #Edit# There also appear to be various very recent driver updates. (i.e. Intel SOC Driver Package, Realtek Audio Driver, Intel Graphics Driver, Wireless Lan Driver, BlueTooth driver, Intel Camera Driver, G-sensor driver, and Light Sensor Driver)
    ASUS Transformer Book T100 - Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS
    Last edited by Sean89us; 11-11-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Charging

RE: Slow charging

I replaced the stock (short, skimpy) usb cable with a monoprice cable (6ft USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core (Gold Plated) - WHITE - Monoprice.com) and charging times seem to have shortened considerably. I think that the wire gauge on the stock cable may be too small to handle the current.

-Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89us View Post
    Either way, a much more capable charger should have been provided or available.
    On another note, I just checked the ASUS Support page, and there is a BIOS update available as of 11/5/13. I don't have my tablet with me right now to try it out, but you guys should download it and check it out. It appears to fix a variety of problems.
    #Edit# There also appear to be various very recent driver updates. (i.e. Intel SOC Driver Package, Realtek Audio Driver, Intel Graphics Driver, Wireless Lan Driver, BlueTooth driver, Intel Camera Driver, G-sensor driver, and Light Sensor Driver)
    ASUS Transformer Book T100 - Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links