Thread: T100TA-B1-GR Questions

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times

T100TA-B1-GR Questions

Even Asus 'chat' has no info. Ready to get T100TA-B1-GR. I want to use like I have done with all other computers, so I have questions:

Like conventional laptops:

1. Does it have F2 BIOS screen?
    2. Can I boot to bootable USB thumb-drive?
    3. And along with #2, can I run aftermarket partitioning and imaging software? Does it's eMMC SSD look and act just like a 'normal' SSD?
    4. If I can't boot to bootable USB thumb-drive, my Windows based partitioning and image program will create script to run in a "pre-boot" state - is this compatible?
    5. Mouse support from Win8 and dock USB port?

NOTE: I want to (and always do) partition a D: for data (yes, reducing C), and boot to image program to image C: to external drive for backup.

Thanks for any input or insight!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dapm View Post
    1. Does it have F2 BIOS screen?
    On these new Windows 8 systems, the traditional BIOS is replaced with UEFI and thus has new rules of how to access it... The startup delay is basically too short to allow a F2 at boot. So instead you have to boot to the OS and then choose to reboot to the "UEFI Firmware Settings" from the Advance Startup options... Just follow the instructions from this link...

UEFI Firmware Settings - Boot to from inside Windows 8

2. Can I boot to bootable USB thumb-drive?
    Any boot with a device using UEFI instead of BIOS has to be compatible with UEFI in order to boot... So, yes, you can boot from a USB thumb drive but it must be set up properly to work with UEFI!

Unfortunately, advance firmware options like legacy BIOS mode is not a option for this product... Mainly desktop systems or high end laptops would give those sort of options. So you'll have to make sure everything you use works with UEFI...

Additionally, if you want to use a Linux distro then you'll need to use the 64bit version of the boot loader as only the 64bit version will recognize and work with UEFI... While Linux support for Bay Trail hardware was only added with Kernel 3.11 and later... So you'd need one of the latest distro releases as well...

3. And along with #2, can I run aftermarket partitioning and imaging software? Does it's eMMC SSD look and act just like a 'normal' SSD?
    Yes, but anything that needs to boot will have to work with the UEFI... otherwise, yes... The eMMC would be seen like any other internal drive... Easiest out of box option is simply to transfer the system recovery to a USB and then make a up to date image backup. It'll be automatically compatible, since it's a Windows 8 recovery, and as long as you make the correct type of backup then it can fully restore the system even if the eMMC had been wiped clean!

Create a USB recovery drive - Microsoft Windows Help

Btw, after creating the USB recovery drive you could then delete the system recovery partition to free up a few GB of space...

Related links...

Refresh Windows 8 - Create and Use Custom Recovery Image

System Recovery Options - Boot to in Windows 8

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...m-image-backup

4. If I can't boot to bootable USB thumb-drive, my Windows based partitioning and image program will create script to run in a "pre-boot" state - is this compatible?
    Again, needs to be able to work with UEFI... can't get around the firmware without replacing the firmware and right now there aren't any alternatives...

5. Mouse support from Win8 and dock USB port?
    It's the full Windows 8 desktop OS, so will support just about any hardware you could possibly imagine connecting to it... The keyboard dock provides a full size USB 3.0 port and the tablet has a micro USB port that is also used to charge the tablet... though, it's a slow charge and will take over 4 hours to fully charge but tests so far show the system's 31WHr battery will last about 10 hours on average for just standard web browsing, up to 12 hours for continuous playing 720P video, and a hour of gaming results in about a 18% drop in battery capacity... meaning it'll provide good battery life...
    Last edited by zeo; 10-24-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    Wallydog, Swipe and Frederuco like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Goes off and does research ...

OK, I'm back! Thanks to zeo, I believe I can (eventually) do what I want. So I ordered the T100. I'll come back and update as to my methods and (hopefully) my success, in case others want to travel down this road as well.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    One of the first examples of booting Linux on the T100...

Booting Ubuntu on the Asus Transformer Book T100 - Liliputing

Looks like they still need to get the drivers, etc. working properly but it boots... Just need some developers to start optimizing for the hardware now...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    Someone posted their drive partitions for the 32GB model...

Asus T100 32GB - Imgur

Looks like the 32GB model has a separate 8GB drive just for recovery, which frees up space on the main drive. So you'd still have about 14GB free after installing Office...

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    Additional note on the Linux install...

Looks like Asus stuck with the 32bit UEFI they used with Clover Trail...

This article explains why that's bad...

mjg59 - Don't ship 32-bit UEFI firmware on x86

Hopefully, Asus will update the FW later to 64bit but this makes it harder to install 3rd party OS...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Ok, got the T100. I looked into the partitions and Windows 8.1 and I am getting a bit familiar with it. GPT and UEFI similar to MBR and BIOS, just different way of doing those same types of things.

I am using EaseUS Partition Master and Todo Backup (imaging). I have backed up partitions, made changes, backed up again, did a factory restore, and restored a saved image. So I can now do in Win8.1 / GPT / UEFI what I did in Win7 / MBR / BIOS.

But now I have a disaster.

Somehow the factory restore partition got erased. Ok, I made an image, so I’ll just restore. The factory restore image was some kind of particular type, not FAT or NTSF. Ok, I did a sector-by-sector backup, and I cannot explore the image because Todo Backup says “Can only explore FAT or NTSF” file systems. That’s good, because it’s not FAT or NTSF.

BUT ... When I do a Todo Backup image restore, I get the partition restored as a NTSF partition, not the 'unknown' partition type. I CAN explore it and it seems to be files and folders you’d expect in a recovery partition. It’s just now NTSF, not ‘whatever format is was to begin with’.

If the factory restore is expecting some partition format (not NTSF), it it's now NTSF, perhaps it cannot read it, therefore, I get the "Unable to find restore files" message. I cannot do a factory restore.

Questions: 1) Can I get external recovery media to do a factory restore, 2) Can I program a USB drive with these files now accessible (because it’s now NTSF) and make my own external recovery media?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    Except for the EFI partition, the Recovery partition is usually just hidden normal partition and just not given a drive letter. So you can use a partition manager to change its state to hidden if it's showing up...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Ok, but:

1) What format is the partition?
    2) Would 'visible' cause Window 8.1 to give "Unable to find restore files" message?
    3) If the image program caused it to change to NTSF, would it not be readable?
    4) If the image is there , albeit in NTSF, why do I get the "Unable to find restore files" message?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, I got a response from EaseUS. Evidently, the backup and restore is incompatible with how the recovery partition and Asus restore works. So, even though I backed up the recovery partition, I ‘lost’ it in restore.

So now my question is: I can extract the files from the backed up partition. Can I use these and create a bootable USB drive and do a restore from there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads