Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    0 times

T100Chi Unexplained huge FPS drop and audio stutter during game menus

Hi gang!

I have been battling a problem for the past week. I am trying to run a number of old school games as well as emulated console games on my T100CHI running Windows 10.

The HUGE audio stutter, input lag and FPS drop happens exclusively in menus, be it before starting a game, inventory screen or in game menu. Things just come to a halt and I have to wait up to 10 seconds for a click to register, if at all (need to spam it).

Here is a game by game layout:

- Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed - starts lagging after I leave the main menu for a single player mode. Gets 10 times worse once I am in a race. Main menu is perfect.
    - Temple of Elemental Evil - Main menu runs perfectly. Party/character building has huge lag and stutter as does any in game menu like character screen or inventory. Actually moving around and stuff is OK.
    - PSP emulation: Persona 3 Portable is perfect until I get to some fancier animations (like summoning something) but only for a few seconds.
    - PSP: God Of War - ridiculous lag in the menu, didnt even make it past that.
    - PSP: Need For Speed Most Wanted: Menu lag, runs fine in race with occasional skips (like Persona3P)
    - NFS Underground 2 - has 35-60 FPS range and lag is incremental based on settings (as is normal when the system is underpowered)

I have tried to reinstall my Chipset drivers, even uninstalling the Intel HD Graphics driver and using the generic, newer one from the intel website.

Noticed in the PSP emulator game settings that if I make rendering unbuffered it lags a little less (20% less according to their FPS meter).

BONUS: Disregarding games, sometimes while charging I get 5 minutes of this sort of lag which I cannot stop unless I reboot or wait around 20-40% mark.

I am absolutely desperate to figure this out. It's driving me crazy! Why only menus? Why only some graphics intensive moments (which the machine is far too powerful to squint at anyway) ?

Is it incompatibility between what was used to render the game in the past and DX 11.2?

Even tried to go into Intel HD settings and disable power saving modes.

Edit: It's not all games, but a lot of old ones and the Portable/Outdated systems. And some new ones. This is why it;s so hard to pinpoint an issue.

Would love some feedback, sorry about the huge post.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, it's simply because it's a weak SoC system. an iPhone 6s/SE (which I have) can hardly run a PSP emulator and they are much more capable than the SoC in the T100's. For emulators, you want to be in the Core m3/i3 and higher territory.. But, you can keep trying. That's just my 2c. The only thing that works well are NES,SNES,GB/C/Adv, some DS games but that's on the x8300 and newer, with 4x the graphical power. You're at a huge loss in ANY kind of graphics on the z37xx series; the z8xxx are way more capable in that aspect.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflurge View Post
    Well, it's simply because it's a weak SoC system. an iPhone 6s/SE (which I have) can hardly run a PSP emulator and they are much more capable than the SoC in the T100's. For emulators, you want to be in the Core m3/i3 and higher territory.. But, you can keep trying. That's just my 2c. The only thing that works well are NES,SNES,GB/C/Adv, some DS games but that's on the x8300 and newer, with 4x the graphical power. You're at a huge loss in ANY kind of graphics on the z37xx series; the z8xxx are way more capable in that aspect.
    It's not really that much about emulators. It can run Morrowind and Underground 2 without as much as a stutter, but will freeze during menus on Temple of Elemental Evil (and plenty others, I have been trying).

It doesn't make sense that a game with very low requirements runs fine until you enter a menu and newer, more demanding games have no issues whatsoever. This leads me to believe it's a software issue or a compatibility issue. This is what I'm trying to figure out. As previously mentioned, in a more modern title, the loss in performance is incremental and directly proportionate to the visual quality settings. In the older games it's instant 30% FPS drop and sound glitching.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links