Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    0 times

T100TAM Low 3D Performance

Hello

My brother was a happy owner of ASUS T100TAM till today. After 3 days of using this tablet/laptop 3D performance drops a half maybe more and I dont know why. I know this is not gaming laptop but still its fun to play older games.

3DMark 05 3600 score and now 1300

Counter Strike Global Offensive around 35-50 fps earlier and now 16-20

NFS Underground 2 1024x768 full details and easy playable. Now around 15fps

Pls Help me with this and sorry for bad english :P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times
    The reason could be the passive cooling. Try to run the benchmark on the cool tablet (after not using it for a few hours) and the hot tablet (after playing for a few hours) and compare the results. The processor throttles down if its temperature becomes too high, and without a fan there is no way to transport the heat away fast enough.

As you said, this is not a gaming device.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Morv View Post
    Hello

My brother was a happy owner of ASUS T100TAM till today. After 3 days of using this tablet/laptop 3D performance drops a half maybe more and I dont know why. I know this is not gaming laptop but still its fun to play older games.

3DMark 05 3600 score and now 1300

Counter Strike Global Offensive around 35-50 fps earlier and now 16-20

NFS Underground 2 1024x768 full details and easy playable. Now around 15fps

Pls Help me with this and sorry for bad english :P
    Hello I am new here (this would be my first post) but I am quite experienced with ALL T100 models. It could range from a virus (very unlikely depending on usage and where you have been getting these games), large updates running, and as gflash mentioned, throttling. Also make sure no recent changes where made to the drivers. I owned the TAM and the metal rear did overheat quite fast and i noticed throttling was quite fast as well. When I found out there was a refreshed version of the TA with the same Intel Atom (Bay Trail) Z3775 as opposed to the original TA which had a Z3740 (my first Transformer Book), I sold my TAM to my brother and went for the TA with the Z3775 and it throttles later than the TAM. Also, although it isn't a gaming device, I do the same thing. I research which games are good with weaker versions of the Bay Trail (like people who post videos of the Z3735 or Z3740) and THEN I purchase them. My technique to avoid overheat throttles? Use a Micro HDMI cable to connect to a modern TV, right-click on the Desktop, scroll down to where you can see an option to allow you to select what to do with the displays (by default it is mirroring everything on your Transformer Book to your TV) and switch it to only use display #2 (this would be your TV). Your TAM's screen will go black and only your TV will be used, greatly reducing heat and you can keep it charging without worry. This mode also allows you to use the full resolution of your TV as opposed to mirroring it or using it as an extended display. So if your TV is 1080p, you can go 1080p. Gaming and charging it while you have it on the tablet's screen will cause throttling rather quickly, I guarantee it. If you don't have a Micro HDMI (check at Best Buy or similar if you want one), then your main goal is to keep the screen's brightness at the lowest possible without disturbing your view. The LCD's backlight is a HUGE contributor to overheating. If I remember correctly, the TAM, like the TA has the processors grouped to the bottom left of the back of the tablet. That means when you have it docked ("laptop mode"), the heat should be coming from the back side of where you connect the Micro USB to charge it. Again, it is best to go the Micro HDMI way since you can play for quite a while and not have to worry about the screen quickly draining the battery along with the game's heavy impact on the GPU. Keep it away from other sources of heat, like your body, other electronics and so on, and let the back area breath as much as it can. If it is not heat related, you may have to try resetting the PC. If your on Windows 8.1, it is easy. If you are on 10, be careful which reset option you use as it may restore the original Transformer Book intended Windows 8.1 securely backed up in one of the restore partitions.

P.S. Need For Speed Underground 2 and Most Wanted will look bad on HDTVs since their resolution does not meet 720p or 1080p. Since I have a 26 inch 720p (1080i capable) older TV with the exact resolution of 1366x768 as the T100's, I play my games there instead of on my 1080p TV. Games like Left 4 Dead and Burnout Paradise play near flawless at the native resolution on low settings and do not look like they've been stripped of their graphics quality too badly.

Follow up with this thread if possible and I'll try to help you to the best of my abilities!

EDIT: I've subscribed to this thread for instant reply emails that way I can get back at you as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Cross; 11-15-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    0 times
    This T100TAM is a joke. Its nice when everything works but every 2 weeks something new show up. Its not overheating/throttling problem i checked that with HWMonitor and u can run U2 and MW easily in widescreen mode with 3rd party program.

Now there is a new problem low performance after connecting HDMI cable. After plug in cable performance drops like when u have under 10% battery life. Stupid 2in1 almost PC things. Almost 20 years with normal PCs and i never got any problems like that.

EDIT: Even after reinstallation to clean WIndows 8.1 CPU/GPU is hot. 535MHz max clock for CPU and 200MHz for GPU. What a useless thing. Warranty
    Last edited by Morv; 12-25-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links