Thread: Not as good at gaming as it used to

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    0 times

Not as good at gaming as it used to

So I have an Asus TranformerBook T100TAM with a Bay trail Z3775 processor and it's my go to secondary computer, it runs basic tasks awesomely and even some demanding tasks like photo editing and video editing pretty well (keeping it basic though).. Another task that this hybrid used to be good at was gaming! I could easily play a game of Dota 2 on low resolution with no problem on this little thing AND with only 2 gigs of ram run skype at the same time!! Pretty admirable if you ask me... it was also pretty good with Warcraft 3 and Portal... But a few months back, it started having issues with gaming, particularly with dota 2, crashes while in game became a common occurrence.. Tried gameboosters, closing skype and all other apps, playing dota right after i restarted the tablet but to no avail... Then I saw that Windows 10 was blooming in with better RAM management and performance improvements, but even though when I downloaded windows 10 my tablet became a lot quicker in terms of performance and battery life.. it took a turn for the worst in gaming in general.. now practically all of my games are not playable Dota 2 became very choppy and flickery, and the same goes with Portal. Warcraft 3 (A very low demanding game) also turned rogue as well.. I don't know whats wrong! is it a driver? reinstall windows? or is this normal? what do you guys suggest?

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Probably drivers, they're still working on them and it's a known issue right now with gaming but should improve later as they improve the driver support...

Also keep a look out for updates for the games themselves... but you may want to revert back to 8.1 and wait it out, the system only gives you a month to decide whether or not to roll back and this issue will probably take longer than that to fix...
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm guessing up to this point, the best thing would have been to back up W8.1, upgrade to W10, clean install W10, then back up again.
    I'm thinking of restoring back to W8.1 with these issues.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    1 times
    I can confirm on W10:
    -CS:GO: was not playable even on lowest resolution and textures
    -Burnout Paradise: only on lowest resolution, was somewhat playable
    -UT3: playable but looked bad, like the characters were chromed visually
    -LOL: was playable but lagged most of the time
    -Speed Runners: playable but experienced lag with keyboard or controller.

I came back to W8.1
    -Burnout playable very good on 1024x768
    -UT3: looks very good on 1024x768 and slider 2 textures
    -CS:GO very playable on 1024x768 too, lowest textures
    -LOL: very playable on 1368x768
    -SpeedRunners: lag was gone wit keyboard or controller!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwolfx View Post
    I can confirm on W10:
    -CS:GO: was not playable even on lowest resolution and textures
    -Burnout Paradise: only on lowest resolution, was somewhat playable
    -UT3: playable but looked bad, like the characters were chromed visually
    -LOL: was playable but lagged most of the time
    -Speed Runners: playable but experienced lag with keyboard or controller.

I came back to W8.1
    -Burnout playable very good on 1024x768
    -UT3: looks very good on 1024x768 and slider 2 textures
    -CS:GO very playable on 1024x768 too, lowest textures
    -LOL: very playable on 1368x768
    -SpeedRunners: lag was gone wit keyboard or controller!
    Sounds about right... I actually managed to make the game (dota 2) playable on W10 changing some settings in the game.. but still I think it could be better!! I think this happens mostly because of bad RAM management instead of driver update, but who knows?? there's another thread on the subject talking about game optimizations when gaming, let's see if i can try something from there... also, have you tried gaming from an sd card? Thanks for the reply's btw xd

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting... I don't have my T100TA yet (Xmas gift) but the first thing I was planning on doing on it was upgrading to 10.

Is the gaming experience still better on 8? It's not the main thing I'm getting it for, but I could see myself gaming on it quite a bit. Thanks!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    If you want to use the T100TA for gaming stick with W8.1 - a lot of games become unplayable when you upgrade to W10 - i upgraded mine to W10 and rolled it back to W8.1 when it degraded my gaming.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    17 times
    One thing you might check is to see if the Superfetch service is running. You can check by typing "Services" into the search bar, loading the Services app, and scrolling down until you find Superfetch. If it is running, right-click and click on Stop. Afterwards, see if your games will run again.

If they do, you can disable it permanently by right-clicking on it in Services (same way as above) and selecting Properties to set it's startup to Disabled.

What Superfetch does: Superfetch is a Windows utility that takes your commonly used programs and stores them in memory when you boot the system. It attempts to speed up the loading of these apps by filling up all the memory available on the machine with the applications in a ready state. This works fine on machines with a lot of memory, but given the T-100's paltry 2GB of RAM, this can cause issues, as Windows tends not to clear out the memory fast enough when it is needed. As a result, you end up with choppy game performance.

Disabling it will not harm the system in any way. It might make some programs take a second or two longer to load when you first load them, but the trade off will be memory available to you when you need it.

Let me know if this works for you.
    Last edited by ProphetSword; 09-07-2016 at 08:51 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    @ProphetSword, I don't play games on my T100TA but I do experience random weirdness. I'm running Win10AnnivUpdate.
    I'm gonna try your suggestion.

Update... This suggestion had amazing results for me. All the nagging little delays are mostly gone. Thanks ProphetSword.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 09-07-2016 at 08:17 PM. Reason: results
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    17 times
    I'm glad it worked. I troubleshoot computer issues regularly (get paid to do it), and Superfetch has been a pain for years (it was rolled out with Windows Vista). A great many slowdowns, hiccups and stutters are directly related to the service. As a general rule, I turn it off on all systems that I troubleshoot for slowdowns as well as all computers in my household.

Here's something to be aware of, though: Windows 10 updates like to turn the service back on. You might get in the habit of checking it after an update to make sure it is still off or to turn it off if that's your desire.

I will stress again that it will do no harm to the system to have it turned off. In my opinion, it does more harm when it's running.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links