Thread: Make any Windows game Touch friendly - Review of Gesture Works Gameplay

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times

Make any Windows game Touch friendly - Review of Gesture Works Gameplay

I recently purchased Gesture Works Gameplay(GestureWorks Gameplay on Steam, Official site here) in order to take advantage of the T100's gaming abilities, especially in tablet mode.

If you have played mobile games, you are probably familiar with overlay controllers, and that is precisely what Gesture Works has delivered in Gameplay. This alone was reason enough to validate my purchase, but I find that the ability to pair a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth for use as a primary and/or multiple secondary controllers to be a very nice added bonus, especially considering the limited physical ports available in tablet mode.

Media:
    BattleBlock-Theater.jpg
    Here you can see how the overlay controls work.

mullti-CastleCrashers.jpg
    An example of multi remote play.

CustomControls.jpg
    The layout creation system.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Puu-blKwq8
    Battleblock Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0jfBqIheW-w
    Remote control gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KVaQGVXmpzI
    DOTA2 Gameplay

The good:
    It does what it says! More than that, it also affords you complete control over the size, position, style, color, opacity and function of your onscreen controls, both on the native device, and on each remote device. Set up one remote device's control scheme, and you can copy the button layout to all of them for easy setup. In five minutes you could have you and a few friends couch co-oping any game or emulator you want. The remote software is free, which is especially nice for getting your friends into the game.

Touch control seems responsive and precise on the T100, and remote devices as well, no discernible input lag even over Bluetooth. Button resizing is a must have feature here because the T100's larger size would make a static overlay possibly uncomfortable. I pushed my D-Pad and action buttons to the very corners and sized them down, which worked well and also kept the screen free of clutter.

Also, the control schemes allow for multitouch gestures, so you can map pinch, rotate, two finger scroll etc. to actions in the game. This is great for isometric RPGs with camera rotation and map overlays(think rotate to rotate camera, pinch/expand to open and close map)

There is an online repository of player created layouts. You can skip the fiddling and jump right into the game if someone else has submitted their setup for the game you want to play.

The Bad:
    Steam is required to purchase the software. So you must have an account etc. Also, steam must be open and connected to launch the program(AFAIK anyway, it gives errors in offline mode and there is no option to launch outside of the Steam client) This will mean a performance hit because you must be running Steam, Gameplay, and your game of choice. Not so good on low spec hardware, even if the T100 does perform better than expected in the gaming department.

Stability is not great. The software is recently out of Beta, despite being called Version 2(a moniker to denote the inclusion of the remote play feature) and may cause games to load more slowly, and/or display a black screen at initial loadup. If you do nothing and wait, this should clear up after a while and then it will function normally. During my time with it, I experienced crashes in the games I was playing, and the Gameplay client itself, though admittedly this seems to stem from my switching back and forth to edit layouts.

The instant edit option which is supposed to let you resize UI elements on the fly is less than perfect. Once I entered the editing mode I could not find out how to finalize my edits and switch back(FAQ says there should be a button, but if so I can't see it) So I got my layouts just right before settling in to really play.

Only supports games with DX9c+, so older titles will not work.

It attaches to the executable at launch, which is probably necessary to get smooth input and overlay working properly, but some games, especially those outside the Steam catalog may not like this, even recognizing it as cheating software since it functions much like aim assist overlays, macros, bots, etc. Hopefully VAC knows better since it is a Steam catalog item, and I'm sure any unjust bans could be appealed, but it still feels risky.

The Verdict:
    At $9.99 this is neither cheap, nor spendy. I would love to see it at the $5 level, but seeing as how there is little to no competition, I think the price point is fair. Is it worth it? I would say, yes. Gesture Works seems to be continually tweaking and upgrading, so hopefully stability and features will continue to improve(notably, I would like to see a WASD mappable analog stick for more responsive movement controls in games that do not support controller mapping, e.g. Hammerwatch, where I am forced to use a Dpad instead). I would have bought it for the overlay touch inputs alone, so the remote device input is just icing, and very much appreciated. It has already allowed me to do what I really wanted with my T100, and the fact that this forum is flooded with requests for touch enabled games shows there is a universal demand for this sort of functionality. I must say that some games just aren't built for this sort of input(competitive shooters, RTS, etc) so it will not make every game playable, despite what my thread title implies(though you will note I included a Dota2 gameplay vid), but it does make many games playable that otherwise would not be, and that really pretty impressive.

*Note: I purchased this software when it was on sale at 50% off of the older retail price of $14.99, but my recommendation that it is good value for money is made considering the new retail price of 9$.99, not the sale price I paid of $7.49.
    Last edited by Dracc; 08-26-2014 at 11:55 PM.
    MicroByte and Sovinox like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    7 times
    Very good tool I make some controllers and i finish some games on my t100 with that (masseffect 3, Skyrim, Princeofpersia 2008, Deus ex GOTY, Fallout 1, Jagged alliance back in action)) - Now i am in battle with Sion (Starwars Kotor2)! Directx9+ requirment not big problem because many good old games plays on this with modifications (ENB etc) and v2 version support opengl!!! for example (Warcraft 3, Fallout 1, With Restoretion patch, Deus ex onopengl, Dosbox has dirctx9 wrap etc)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    I bought and played a bit with v1 of this software. I did have the problem that it did not work in all games and was quite unstable. Guess I try v2 in time

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidje View Post
    I bought and played a bit with v1 of this software. I did have the problem that it did not work in all games and was quite unstable. Guess I try v2 in time
    What games you try and dont work ?? - This software requaries Directx 9.c + to works but many older games works with varius methods

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links