Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Low memory warning when memory isn't low?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Low memory warning when memory isn't low?

First off, Hi! I got my T100 at launch and have been absolutely amazed with what it has been able to do so far. This is my first post on these forums, though, I've kind of been lurking here from time to time since not too long after getting my T100.

Anyway, on to my issue! While I mostly use my T100 for basic stuff like documents, browsing, and the occasional video, I have Steam installed on it with a handful of games (mostly 2D indies) that should run fine on this hardware. However, there seems to be a few games that randomly kick me back to the desktop and cause a low memory warning to pop up. The weird thing is that if I alt-tab back into the game it works fine indefinitely. Also, when the error pops up, Task Manager shows that most of my memory is still free.

I first noticed this with Castle Crashers. It runs fine for a few minutes, but then the error pops up. I recently got the Steam version of Halo Spartan Assault, and it will randomly pop the error within a couple minutes. Whether I'm just sitting at the menu or playing the game makes no difference. If I check memory usage, the game itself is only using about 300MB and I'm at just over 1GB of total RAM used (usually 1.2 to 1.3ish). I also have a 4GB static page file because I knew stuff would eventually spill into virtual memory on a machine like this, and 6GB of total memory is more than enough for most systems. So when these errors happen, the system is typically only using just over 1GB of the 6GB total. That's nowhere near what I would consider "low".

I've tried lowering game settings for both games, and that seems to have no effect on the errors. The weird part is that it can run more intensive games without an issue. I put Guild Wars 2 on a flash drive and ran that with no issues other than the relatively low framerate. Source engine games like CS:GO and Poker Night run fine with no issues as well.

I noticed in the thread about playable games, some people listed both Castle Crashers and Halo Spartan Assault as working great. Are you guys not experiencing this low memory warning?

EDIT: Here's a screenshot after literally just entering a mission in Halo Spartan Assault. Sometimes it'll pop up just in the menus. It seems random. But, as you can see, just over half the system memory, and barely any of the total with virtual memory included, is in use.
    Screenshot (01).png
    Last edited by ShadowBandit; 06-21-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added screenshot

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

This is a total WAG but I think you may need to check to see if you have all the most recent versions of the programs you're running. I think one of them would appear to have a bug. I don;t think it is OS or hardware related.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Yep, everything's up to date. I'm on BIOS 309, all drivers are the latest from the Asus site, and all Windows updates are current. Also, as this is mostly a work computer, I don't have much other software installed on it. Other than what it came preloaded with, the only other software I have installed is Dropbox, TeamViewer, and Steam (with a small handful of games), all of which are up to date.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    7 times
    I think ths massage isn't false - When this message aprove memory real is low - 2Gb is not not enough - Intel Intergrade graphics haven't intep memory and uses 1Gb of Them ....

You Play halo Intel HD gets 1Gb I have this problem in many game but the good news is the games after this message aprove dont crash and continues regularly - Ignore this and enjoy your gaming
    Last edited by Gavoux; 06-23-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    I've seen this too and the above poster is correct, the game will continue, but if it's a fullscreen game it'll wrench you right out. The particular games I've played are usually ok with going back in but it's a colossal pain in the ass and I may encounter a game, as many do, that hates alt-tabbing or task switching.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Do a file integrity check, (chkdsk).
    Disk check comes up fine for both my internal MMC and SD card. I also did a system file check (sfc /scannow in an admin command prompt) and there was no problems. My last few years as a computer service tech are telling me this isn't a hardware or corrupted OS issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavoux View Post
    I think ths massage isn't false - When this message aprove memory real is low - 2Gb is not not enough - Intel Intergrade graphics haven't intep memory and uses 1Gb of Them ....

You Play halo Intel HD gets 1Gb I have this problem in many game but the good news is the games after this message aprove dont crash and continues regularly - Ignore this and enjoy your gaming
    You know...I think you might be on to something. I completely didn't take into account that the integrated GPU actually draws from the system memory as it needs to. I did a bit more reading up on the low memory issue and it seems to be related to an incompatibility between the current Intel HD drivers and DX11.2 in Win 8.1. This same problem has been reported as happening with Intel HD 2k and 3k graphics on systems with much more memory than the T100. One of the solutions for older GPUs like the Intel HD 2k and 3k found on Sandy and Ivy Bridge was to use the older Win 8 drivers. Unfortunately, even though the iGPU on Bay Trail is based on Ivy's HD 3k, the only drivers available for the Bay Trail version are for 8.1 and the older Intel HD drivers aren't compatible with it. Intel is apparently aware of the issue, but a fix hasn't been put out yet despite this affecting 3 generations of Intel HD iGPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSasquatch View Post
    I've seen this too and the above poster is correct, the game will continue, but if it's a fullscreen game it'll wrench you right out. The particular games I've played are usually ok with going back in but it's a colossal pain in the ass and I may encounter a game, as many do, that hates alt-tabbing or task switching.
    Yeah, this is exactly the reason why I was wondering if anyone knew a workaround for this. It's annoying to get thrown back to the desktop in the middle of a fullscreen game. Usually, alt-tabbing back in is fine, but Halo Spartan Assault is actually one of the games that doesn't like being tabbed to the desktop. It tabs out to a weird squished 4:3 aspect ratio and you have to go back to the settings and change the resolution to something different, then change it back to what you had it on to get it to fullscreen properly again.

I just find it bizarre that fairly low resource games like Castle Crashers, an entirely 2D game, and Halo Spartan Assault, a game designed with much lower spec mobile phones in mind, cause this low memory warning, but not something resource heavy like Guild Wars 2...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBandit View Post
    Disk check comes up fine for both my internal MMC and SD card. I also did a system file check (sfc /scannow in an admin command prompt) and there was no problems. My last few years as a computer service tech are telling me this isn't a hardware or corrupted OS issue...

You know...I think you might be on to something. I completely didn't take into account that the integrated GPU actually draws from the system memory as it needs to. I did a bit more reading up on the low memory issue and it seems to be related to an incompatibility between the current Intel HD drivers and DX11.2 in Win 8.1. This same problem has been reported as happening with Intel HD 2k and 3k graphics on systems with much more memory than the T100. One of the solutions for older GPUs like the Intel HD 2k and 3k found on Sandy and Ivy Bridge was to use the older Win 8 drivers. Unfortunately, even though the iGPU on Bay Trail is based on Ivy's HD 3k, the only drivers available for the Bay Trail version are for 8.1 and the older Intel HD drivers aren't compatible with it. Intel is apparently aware of the issue, but a fix hasn't been put out yet despite this affecting 3 generations of Intel HD iGPUs.

Yeah, this is exactly the reason why I was wondering if anyone knew a workaround for this. It's annoying to get thrown back to the desktop in the middle of a fullscreen game. Usually, alt-tabbing back in is fine, but Halo Spartan Assault is actually one of the games that doesn't like being tabbed to the desktop. It tabs out to a weird squished 4:3 aspect ratio and you have to go back to the settings and change the resolution to something different, then change it back to what you had it on to get it to fullscreen properly again.

I just find it bizarre that fairly low resource games like Castle Crashers, an entirely 2D game, and Halo Spartan Assault, a game designed with much lower spec mobile phones in mind, cause this low memory warning, but not something resource heavy like Guild Wars 2...
    The big problem is with gestureworks software beacuse when a game go to alt-tab after restore touch keys dont works the good new is that rarely happens

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    Try to run the game in a compatibility mode. No idea why but that helped with a couple of games.
    Pudsy likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    I've noticed the same warning popup with certain games. Searching revealed a possible way to disable it, but I'm a bit wary of the instability it might cause. Here's the info for anyone brave enough to give it a go anyway.

WARNING : take the usual care/precautions/backups when messing with these things. At your own risk etc...

SOURCES :
    Crysis on Windows 8.1 triggers low-memory warning - Super User
    How to suppress "low memory" warnings in Vista Home Premium when running without paging file? - Super User

First method uses Local Group Policy Editor.
    1.Click Start, click in the Start Search box, type gpedit.msc, and then press Enter. MMC will start with the Local Group Policy Editor open.

2.In the navigation tree, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Troubleshooting and Diagnostics, and click Windows Resource Exhaustion Detection and Resolution.

3.In the console pane, right-click Configure Scenario Execution Level, and then click Properties.

4.On the Setting tab, select Disabled, and then click OK.
    If that's not in the edition of Windows installed on the T100, maybe try the alternative registry method...

Open the registry editor. (Click the Windows orb, type “regedit”, and hit enter.)

Browse to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\WDI\DiagnosticModules\

Export the following folders. This is your backup in case something goes wrong.
    {5EE64AFB-398D-4edb-AF71-3B830219ABF7}

{45DE1EA9-10BC-4f96-9B21-4B6B83DBF476}

{C0F51D84-11B9-4e74-B083-99F11BA2DB0A}

Take ownership of the each folder mentioned in step 3. (You can take ownership by right clicking the folder and then hitting permissions. Click the advanced button and change owner to your user. Click OK and then give full control to your user group. Hit OK again.)

Delete the folders from step 3.

Reboot and enjoy.

Warning: After doing the above steps, you should know that once memory runs out, it is out. You will have no warning. Once your memory gets maxed out, programs will behave very erratic and suddenly crash without warning. I’ve decided that this side effect can be just as annoying as the popups. If you consistently push your machine’s memory to its limits, you should think twice about disabling the low memory messages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links