Like Tree22Likes
  • 6 Post By FrillyBits
  • 3 Post By janner43
  • 2 Post By FrillyBits
  • 3 Post By rickscheller
  • 5 Post By ATXYZ
  • 3 Post By DKL

Thread: [FAQ] Which Updates to Do? Best way to do them?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times

[FAQ] Which Updates to Do? Best way to do them?

I got my t100 (2GB RAM / 64GB hard drive) around the end of January. Did some Windows updates and a couple Asus updates. I actually saw the advice on a thread that if all was working OK then maybe it was best to just use the computer and "don't rock the boat" or "if it ain't broke don't fix it." So I used it like it was, particularly while traveling and out of town some. Then circumstances changed and didn't need to use it as much so I haven't used the computer in a LONG time. Now we just cut the T.V cable cord so got out my Asus for streaming internet stuff, checking news and weather, etc.

The problem is just that - I have done very few Asus updates and when I checked today there are over 80 updates available.

My bios version is 266 and I see the latest is 3 hundred and something - that shows how far behind I am.

Can anyone give me some advice since I don't really know how or where to start with the updates. I don't want to try to update one thing and then discover I should have updated something else first to make it work, if that makes sense.

Please help this newbie and I promise to keep up with my software in the future.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXYZ View Post
    ...The problem is just that - I have done very few Asus updates and when I checked today there are over 80 updates available. ......
    80 updates ?????
    Do you mean Windows updates for your T100 or did you go to the Asus Support website and count the number of updates that have been released since you last updated ?
    ....Can anyone give me some advice since I don't really know how or where to start with the updates. I don't want to try to update one thing and then discover I should have updated something else first to make it work, if that makes sense...
    Windows Updates:
    Plug in your T100 to power.
    Create a System Restore Point
    Select all the Important updates and install them. I suggest you do a few at a time so if there is a problem you can go back using the System Restore Point then skip those updates and investigate them later to find out what went wrong

Asus Updates: You don't need to install all the updates that have been released just the latest
    Plug in your T100 to power
    Create a System Restore Point
    Connect the Keyboard because some updates, like ATK Package are for it and I think having it connected would be best
    Launch ASUS Live Update if you can't find it go to:
    OS (C: )
    Program Files
    ASUS
    ASUS Live Update
    Launch LiveUpdate

From the list of updates select the BIOS update first
    After your BIOS are updated select the ATK Package update next because you will be asked to uninstall the old version (just follow instructions)
    Then you can install the other updates in any order you like, I suggest you install one at a time so if there is a problem you can go back using the System Restore Point then skip that update and investigate it later to find out what went wrong
    You will need to Restart for many of the updates, do Restart NOT Power OFF then ON (that is like Hibernate)
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 10-10-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Clarification
    janner43, ATXYZ, DKL and 3 others like this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Great reply,FrillyBits

I'll just add that it is always advised to do a lot of updates with the a/c connected.

(Thread title enhanced, moved to T100 FAQS section)
    ATXYZ, DKL and rickscheller like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks ya'll!

Yeah, FrillyBits, when I went to the Asus update site it says there are 84 updates available. My computer is registered on the support website so when I open that site is where the big list is available. If I click Live Update on the tablet it only shows a couple are available. I don't know why the discrepancy. I'll do the BIOS first, then the ATK, then go down the list. So, I can just go straight to the latest one in each category without having to "work my way up the list?"

First, though, where do I find the System Restore Point? I don't recall seeing it. I can do a forum search, I am sure it is on there.

This is an awesome, friendly site that I am so glad exists!

I got all the Windows 8.1 updates done yesterday. Thought I'd work on the Asus updates today. When I go there it offers 2 or 3 ways to download them - like "Global", "PNP"?, etc. Which of those should I chose? Is one of them faster or better?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    ...Yeah, FrillyBits, when I went to the Asus update site it says there are 84 updates available. My computer is registered on the support website so when I open that site is where the big list is available. If I click Live Update on the tablet it only shows a couple are available. I don't know why the discrepancy. I'll do the BIOS first, then the ATK, then go down the list. So, I can just go straight to the latest one in each category without having to "work my way up the list?......
    Yes, the website is telling you how many updates are available but you don't need to install all of them just the latest version of each one.
    There are some updates that are listed on the Asus Support website but not listed in Asus Live Update but these will usually appear within a few weeks unless there is a problem with them.
    One theory is that the Asus Support website downloads are the final Beta test for the updates because those people who go looking for them are usually more experienced and willing to jump in first. If there are no major complaints about the update it will eventually appear on the Asus Live Update list
    ....Thought I'd work on the Asus updates today. When I go there it offers 2 or 3 ways to download them - like "Global", "PNP"?, etc. Which of those should I chose? Is one of them faster or better?
    If you want to download from the Asus Support website the Global download is usually ok and the one I use
    But, I suggest you just use the Asus Live Update tool and install the listed updates through that, keep checking back here on a regular basis and see if there are any 'important notices' about updates etc. Many of the members here do that and they have no major problems
    This way you are keeping updated while still following the "if it aint broke don't fix it" rule, best of both worlds
    ....First, though, where do I find the System Restore Point? I don't recall seeing it. I can do a forum search, I am sure it is on there....
    System Restore is located @
    • Desktop
    • Right click on Windows Icon (bottom left)
    • Select Control Panel (icon view)
    • Select Recovery
    • To create a Restore Point select Configure System Restore
    • To restore the T100 back to a Restore point select Open System Restore

You can read more about it @
    How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - Windows Help
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 10-10-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
    rickscheller and DKL like this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    I suggest you just use the Asus Live Update tool and install the listed updates through that.
    For the inexperienced user, I 100% agree with this.
    ATXYZ, FrillyBits and ASUSFAN0001 like this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    I don't know what button to push to "like" you folks or I would.
    Thank you so much for the help!
    I promise to try to keep my little T100 up to date.
    Now, I am off to the main forum to try and figure out how to make what I see on my screen show up on my TV.
    FrillyBits, Swipe, DKL and 2 others like this.

DKL
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    32 times
    Mouse over the bottom right corner to like posts.
    FrillyBits, Swipe and ATXYZ like this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links