Thread: [GUIDE] How to get Office installed on sdcard

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times

[GUIDE] How to get Office installed on sdcard

Hi, I would like to share how I installed Office 2013 (click to run installer) to sd card because I did not find any other good solution. I used Junction Link Magic to symbolic link to another directory as you can see on image. In SSD I prepaired emty folder that installer use and on sd card I create the same one. Than I linked them in that program. So it looks like it is on the ssd but it is on the storage card. Office works fine, I do not know about any issues, but it is true that I am not a genius.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Petererj; 02-18-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    cdurant and Telstar1948 like this.

rscheller
    Good info to know.

This could be useful for a nagging problem I had with Google Picasa on my desktop machines. We have thousands of digital photos and Picasa seemed a great solution at the time but I hated that you couldn't have multiple machines running the Picasa client and pointing to a common folder on a networked hard drive. It could be this is now solved with Picasa but this tip seems to solve that issue I had a couple years ago.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    When I installed Office I just pointed to my SD card (D and Office installed there. It does put a few files on C:

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Two part question:

1. How much space does this save, ballpark?
    2. Is there an easy way to uninstall and reinstall to SD? I didn't notice an option to point there when I installed.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    dmako: yeh, but click to run installer, that use Office Home and Student does not give you a choice to select directory.

evansamms:
    1) 1,27 GB so not so much but sometimes it could help (Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office 15 folders)
    2) I do not know. But to be able to do symbolic link as I did, folders have to be empty (and sd card have to be NTFS). So maybe close all processes related to offce, take out files from folders, link folders and than paste files back. But that is just my guess.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    162 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Petererj View Post
    dmako: yeh, but click to run installer, that use Office Home and Student does not give you a choice to select directory.
    Maybe you should have specified that in your original post huh? I have MS office 2013 installed on my SD card and thought the same as dmako as to why is guy jumping through hoops? and btw....the built in storage is not an SSD either.

not a genius.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    I wrote that I am mean click to run installer in the firs post. This installer does not let you choose where you want to install office and not only home and student version use that now (true that you can download full installer for others). My bad that I did not specified that in the threads name.

And it is not really important here that it is not ssd... but true.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I have read the postings here and am confused. Rednroll and dmako: Can you give me the steps to follow for installing 'office' to a SD Card? I have not tried it and don't want to make a mess of it. Easy would be great!!

How do I ' easily ' install the free 'office' program that came with my Transformer 100 to the SD Card?

How big of a SD card do I need?

It would be ideal to use the program on both of my new computers: Transformer 100 (for travel) and ASUS notebook x551m (for everyday) .

Can I just put the license key in the program on the new ASUS Notebook? I have a file on it under Program Files - size 2.16MG Folder: Office 15. Seems that Microsoft Office is listed on both computers in File Explorer. Can I just install the license key in both? So far, I have not tried to install or enter any key.

Thank you for your time and help.

Old person

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by older View Post
    I have read the postings here and am confused. Rednroll and dmako: Can you give me the steps to follow for installing 'office' to a SD Card? I have not tried it and don't want to make a mess of it. Easy would be great!!

How do I ' easily ' install the free 'office' program that came with my Transformer 100 to the SD Card?

It would be ideal to use the program on both of my new computers: Transformer 100 (for travel) and ASUS notebook x551m (for everyday) .

Can I just put the license key in the program on the new ASUS Notebook? I have a file on it under Program Files - size 2.16MG Folder: Office 15. Seems that Microsoft Office is listed on both computers in File Explorer. Can I just install the license key in both? So far, I have not tried to install or enter any key.

Old person
    First of all I can comment on Office pro, not the Office that come with the T100. Setup allow one to override the default location and you simply type in say D:\programs.

If that helps

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    162 times
    Quote Originally Posted by older View Post

Old person
    There are multiple instances of "office" being discussed in this thread and that is where the confusion started.

The office pre-installed on the T100 is "Office Home/Student 2013" which is also the one that doesn't come with Outlook, which was a necessity for my needs. Petererj is also referring to "Office Home/Student". The one dmako and myself are referring to is "office Professional".

See Here for a comparison matrix:
    Compare Microsoft Office products - Office.com

You will need to download an installer for Office Home/Student and install it on your other device. Office Home/Student can only be installed on one PC per license. So you could install it on your other PC, but you just couldn't also activate it on the T100 which came pre-installed.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 03-02-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links