Like Tree12Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] Fix Winflash "cannot allocate buffer" error

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    So, 304 is out now. I've followed the instructions and am still getting the buffer error. Any other suggestions? In the meantime, I'm going to do a fresh reload. Contacted customer service/technical support. OMG. the first guy actually referred me back to this thread. I was like: DUDEEE...I know how to Google (besides, I had exhausted all avenues, why else would i call them??). The second guy said they don't recommend or support bios updates...but they both told me to send it in for RMA. I told him no (I have 8 sitting on my desk here, literally in the box brand new). third guy was no help either, I told him i wanted to talk to a technician that would be performing the repair, and he couldn't answer that...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seewhy View Post
    So like many of you, I have been plagued by this error ever since the 224/225 Bios was released.
    Strangely, I did not have this problem when I upgraded from 214 to 220 follow by 223 on the same hardware.
    I tried to compare what had changed and a little debugging using process monitor, I finally found the answer.

I did a fresh 8.1 install and wipe the original partition clean, that is when I encounter the Bios error.
    Using process monitor while filtering winflash.exe, there was an error message saying it cannot access \Device\Harddiskvol2\EFI\Asus\Firmware\T100Ta.bin.

I assigned a drive letter to the EFI partition, access it using administrator and created EFI-ASUS-Firmware folder structure. Viola, the winflash ran like a charm.

Instructions
    WARNING: Perform this at your own risks, modifying the EFI partition can render your system unbootable
    • Launch cmd with admin permission
    • type the following command
    • Diskpart
    • select disk 0
    • List part
    • Note the 100MB partition - mine is part 2
    • select part 2
    • Assign
    • Exit
    • taskkill /im explorer.exe /f
    • Explorer

Explorer should launch and you can access the 100MB EFI partition and create the folder structure
    driveletter:\EFI\ASUS\Firmware

Launch Winflash and flash away.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by jdanderson View Post
    So, 304 is out now. I've followed the instructions and am still getting the buffer error. Any other suggestions? In the meantime, I'm going to do a fresh reload. Contacted customer service/technical support. OMG. the first guy actually referred me back to this thread. I was like: DUDEEE...I know how to Google (besides, I had exhausted all avenues, why else would i call them??). The second guy said they don't recommend or support bios updates...but they both told me to send it in for RMA. I told him no (I have 8 sitting on my desk here, literally in the box brand new). third guy was no help either, I told him i wanted to talk to a technician that would be performing the repair, and he couldn't answer that...
    hello!
    I just did BIOS upgrade from ASUS website to v.307 and got a lot of problems with startup, so I decided to downgrade back to 304. But I got the "BIOS version you try to install is older ..." crap. So I looked up on net to try to fix that and I found a solution. After that I could revert BIOS to v.304 with "seewhy" tutorial.
    So I decided to put those two things together and write a tutorial :

HOW TO DOWNGRADE BIOS ON ASUS TRANSFORMER BOOK T100 TA with avoiding "cannot allocate buffer..." problem

1. first you must follow "seewhy" tutorial to create EFI/ASUS/Firmware folder on the 100MB partition with cmd.exe opened with admin permission
    2. after that DO NOT CLOSE cmd.exe window
    3. open in other window: my computer-system-program files-asus-win flash
    4. click on winflash.exe and drag it into the cmd.exe window. You will get : "C:\Program Files\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe"
    5. On the same line write: "/nodate" with space in front. So now you will have : "C:\Program Files\ASUS\WinFlash\WinFlash.exe" /nodate
    6. hit Enter
    7. you will get WinFlash attention window. Hit ok and WinFlash will start and after selecting older BIOS version, install button will be active.
    8. Now you can flash older BIOS version!!

WARNING: Perform this at your own risks!!
    For me it worked!

GOOD LUCK!
    rscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I am trying to update to 304 due to a persistent battery issue. However, I followed all of the steps of the tutorial and I am still getting the same error. One big difference I found was that I do not have a 100 Mb partition, but I have a 300 Mb partition (Disk 0, part 2). Within that partition is the EFI folder so I assumed it was the right one. Any suggestions on what else I can do?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smack View Post
    I am trying to update to 304 due to a persistent battery issue. However, I followed all of the steps of the tutorial and I am still getting the same error. One big difference I found was that I do not have a 100 Mb partition, but I have a 300 Mb partition (Disk 0, part 2). Within that partition is the EFI folder so I assumed it was the right one. Any suggestions on what else I can do?
    What is the error you're getting?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    The same "cannot allocate buffer.." error as mentioned earlier.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Sorry... but since you said you've followed the procedure, I have no clue. Maybe someone else will check in.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 09-10-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Red face Great !!!

It worked perfectly. Thanks very much !!!!!!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - iOS
    Liked
    13 times
    Try go to recovery mode or download mode and flash it directly.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the excellent tip. BIOS updated first try. Now If I can get the touchpad to work.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm a bit confused with the last few lines of Mami's directions. I got through all but this part:
    "Explorer should launch and you can access the 100MB EFI partition and create the folder structure
    driveletter:
    \EFI\ASUS\Firmware"
    How do you create the folder structure if one does not know the "driveletter"?

Thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links