*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    862 times

T100 USEFUL TIPS and TRICKS

Several posters have provided great tips on how to optimize your T100TA.

I've started this thread ONLY to post tips - no commentary please.

[Non-useful posts will be deleted]
    noisuf, andreqs and Jeffrey like this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA WIN 8.1 & ASUS TF101 ANDROID TABLETS

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    862 times

Speed up your wifi

Here is a great tip to speed up your WIFI - copied from this helpful poster:

Quote Originally Posted by ilys View Post
    150Mbps is the maximum I can get with any of the drivers under all configurations. However, I don't think the adaptor can go any faster. It is, after all, an SDIO with very limited bandwidth.

Go to the start screen and type in "view network connections", without quotes. There should be only one search result. Click that, right click WiFi, click Properties, click Configure, click Advanced, on the list on the left click Bandwidth Capabilities, click the drop-down menu on the right and select 11a/b/g 20/40MHz, click OK. You may need to reconnect to the router for the changes to take effect. You can then right click WiFi, click Status. You should now see Speed as 150Mbps, if your router supports it and has been set up to support it.
    Thanks to ilys for this tip.

UPDATE:
    Quote Originally Posted by ilys View Post
    Please include the post detailing the possible instability when using the Broadcom signed drivers. Reverting to the original Microsoft signed drivers fixes the instability.
    Quote Originally Posted by japple55 View Post
    Ilys: what speed are you getting now with the older driver?

I can get a max of 150 Mbps (within 10feet of the router) with Broadcom driver 5.93.98.187 installed on both 2.4 and 5 using the "a/b/g 20/40MHz" driver option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    FYI, I tried the WiFi settings, the wireless connection became unstable on my system. In fact, the system became sluggish and took forever to get in and out of network settings. Rebooted, set it back to the previous setting and everything is back to working well.
    UPDATE:

The configuration was easy and works every time I set it or unset it here on the T100.
    Last edited by ASUSFAN0001; 12-08-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    chrisdenny, Jeffrey and rscheller like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    42 times
    Excellent display settings from kerkesmith:

Display Settings: Stock
    Color > Basic:
    Brightness: 15
    Contrast: 48
    Gamma: 0.7

Color > Advanced:
    Hue: 0
    Saturation: 52

Thanks kerkesmith!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    42 times
    Remove 6+ oz iron from the keyboard dock:

MA83, phodatsht, ffarber and 1 others like this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    7 times
    Hard Reset - Hold down the power button to turn it off, then hold the power button & volume up for about 5 seconds, putting it into ASUS 'Repair' mode.

Install Bios 2.20 using Winflash that are both located on the ASUS Transformer Book T100 Support Site [Driver & Tools]
    https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultra..._T100/#support (aka ASUS Live)
    - Fixes a slow charging issue with T100 when it's in use.
    - Fixes black screen of death (non-bootable T100) [See hard reset above to fix black screen]

Not all ASUS applications are not loaded on the Microsoft store version of the T100TA.

ASUS Live is not very useful and it's a good idea to perform manual driver updates.

ASUS Bios update 2.16 caused major issues, so be careful flashing a new bios. It bricked a few T100s.
    Last edited by Funnel; 12-08-2013 at 02:50 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    862 times
    Quote Originally Posted by epadin View Post
    I just tried this adapter and it works with the side micrusb port. I was able to use a usb drive.
    Attachment 6700

Here's one place to get them:

New 5pcs Micro 5 Pin USB B Male to USB A Female Host OTG Adapter Converter USB | eBay

Thanks!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ropecore View Post
    How do I change this?

I tried searching in display settings and calibrate your display but I have no options to write numbers or anything like that.
    Try searching for intel HD graphics. or click the intel icon at the desktop taskbar.

As for my two cents worth:

1. Refrain from using the T100 while charging it, it charges faster that way.
    2. Charge when you get to 40% battery level and quit charging when you've reached 80% to increase cycles.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/09/laptop-battery/
    Last edited by mothproof; 12-09-2013 at 02:18 AM.
    rscheller likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    7 times
    TIP:
    I'm still having issues with the T100 turning on (and then staying on) by itself.
    I think the TF has been in book mode in all of these instances, and am wondering if perhaps the fit is tight enough that little bumps can activate some of the keys while it is in my bag (which would take the tablet out of sleep mode and drain the battery). A few times, I've taken the tablet out and found it very warm too.
    Is there any way to not have the tablet come out of sleep when a key is pressed?

--> Go to the Device Manager, find the Keyboard device, right click and choose Properties and on one of the tabs there should be something like "let the device to wake the system". Untick that.
    rscheller likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2258 times
    I had this to hand, so I thought it might help a few folks if I posted it here.

Charging problems with your tablet.

We often get posts asking for help with devices that are refusing to charge. Sometimes, the solution to the problem can be as simple as using the correct charger for your device. Not all a/c chargers are the same. Just because they have a USB connection does not mean they will charge whatever tablet you own.

So the first thing to check is that you are using the manufacturer supplied charger, or at least a charger that has the same output as the charger supplied by the manufacturer. This output can be read on the manufacturers' charger and the two important pieces of information will be the voltage and the amperage. A powered on PC USB port, for example, outputs at 5v/500ma.

The second thing to check is that you are using the charging cable that came with your device. Third party cables (especially those without a lot of owner reviews) sometimes just don't work! Also check to see that your cable and connectors are not damaged.

If you are happy that your charger and cable are fine, (or even if you are not & you want to try it anyway) then the next thing to try is the trickle charge trick.

Trickle Charging
    Lithium based batteries don't like being completely flattened. Sometimes in that condition they will not accept a charge from the regular charger until they have got a little charge in them. In order for that to happen, connecting to a 5v/500ma connection - such as a powered on (& not sleeping) PC USB port, or a low power phone charger (5v/500ma) - for 8 hours or so, then enables the device to get a charge from the regular a/c charger.

So, the process would be...
    • Device refuses to charge (or power on) when connected to the a/c charger.
    • Using the charging cable, connect to a powered on (& not sleeping) PC USB port, or a low power phone charger (5v/500ma)
    • Leave the device connected for a minimum of 8 hours. Longer won't be any problem.
    • Reconnect the device to the a/c charger and try again
    • If that process fails, try replacing either the charger and/or charging cable

Frequent, smaller charges are better for your battery.

Most will be familiar with the fact that a mechanical device wears out faster with heavy use. This analogy applies well when considering the life expectancy of a battery. Given that batteries in tablet devices are not easily replaced, it is worth considering the depth of discharge (DoD) to which tablet devices are allowed to discharge as this determines the cycle count (the number of times the battery can be recharged). The shorter the discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge with lithium based batteries is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life.

A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents (produced when charging from a deep DoD) also affect cycle life.

In the list below you can see that charging at around 50% DoD will mean that your battery lasts around twice as long as charging at a low DoD
    • 100% DoD - 300 to 500 charge cycles
    • 50% DoD - 1,200 to 1,500 charge cycles
    • 25% DoD - 2,000 to 2,500 charge cycles
    • 10% DoD - 3,750 to 4,700 charge cycles

Accurate battery charge reporting (calibration).

That said, however, occasional full recharges, perhaps once every 8-12 weeks - from around 10% to full - are a good idea as this enables the software reporting of the level of charge in the battery to stay accurate.

Calibration occurs naturally by occasionally running the tablet down until the battery is fully depleted and “Low Battery” appears. The full discharge sets the discharge flag, and the subsequent recharge sets the charge flag. By establishing these two markers, the battery can calculate the state-of-charge by knowing the distance between the flags

If you have a tablet that is not reporting full charge levels, or inaccurate charge levels, a couple of full "low battery - recharge to full" cycles will invariably resolve that issue.

It will work best if you connect the tablet to the a/c charger and then power off the tablet. This enables the battery to charge without any need for it to maintain a powered on device. So the process would be...
    • Tablet reports "low battery"
    • Promptly finish whatever you were doing
    • Connect to the a/c charger
    • Switch on the a/c power
    • Power off the tablet until the device is fully charged

Acknowledgements to Battery University for some of the information contained in this post.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2258 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeonthemic View Post
    Very useful, janner43.

I have a question. Is it true that leaving the device charging for more hours than the needed for a full charge could damage the battery?

Thx
    Thanks

In general terms that isn't true, so, no it won't. Devices & chargers are "intelligent" and should stop charging when the device is charged fully. What isn't a good idea is to leave the device connected to an a/c charger permanently. No-one recommends that.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads