Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Worth returning the T100TAM for the CHI?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    0 times

Worth returning the T100TAM for the CHI?

I bought a TAM for $250 plus tax just recently. Since this is on the verge of coming out, is it worth returning that for this? It would be Almost twice as much for $200 dollars more -- benefits would include a slimmer design and a better resolution. But would that be worth the extra money? Not to mention having to charge the keyboard separately. Should I just stick with the TAM due to the cheaper price point? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

Only you can make that decision but it sounds like you want someone to confirm your hidden desire to make the switch. OK, do it.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Welcome to the forums Tesn .

Google & Read some reviews, before you decide, the device is an absolute stunner, but see the bit's it lacks before you decide as well. I would compare with the following in mind and such,

- Less Battery because of the higher resolution
    - You need a Mini-USB to USB port adapter/dongle, no full sized 3.0 USB Ports
    - Separate Keyboard Charge
    - Same Processor/Same RAM
    + Gorgeous Design
    + Gorgeous Form Factor
    + Ultra-thin Profile
    + Higher Resolution

Goodluck & All the best, I would keep the T100TAM, if I were you to see when the more advanced T100 Chi models would come, but that's just me. It's all your decision at the end .
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    18 times
    I actually did this very thing. I ordered a T100TAM with 500gb dock a few weeks ago knowing that I would probably want the chi. Then last week when the chi became available on Amazon I jumped on it. Actually right now I have both! I plan to keep the chi and either return the T100TAM or sell it myself.

Some would call it a stupid thing to make that switch, but it's all in the eye of the beholder. For me, I valued the much better screen and ultra portability so that's what made my decision. The chi really does rival the ipad air. The chi screen is MUCH better (brighter, sharper, clearer). It looks and performs fantastic. Seriously, its a work of art.

Caster mentioned a couple of drawbacks that I would echo. Also, the bluetooth keyboard takes just a couple seconds to connect when coming out of sleep. This can be a little annoying. The lack of a full size USB was probably the biggest hurdle for me, but there are really cheap adapters on ebay to go from micro usb to female usbA.

One thing I note about the micro usb, I have a micro usb flash drive which works fine when connected. However, I have tried to connect a usb hub without success. Note that I was trying to use not one but two adapters to connect it so that may have been a factor (I don't yet have the micro to full size usb adapters).

I'm too impatient to wait for the next generation which, admittedly, will probably be more worth the wait.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    $250 is a great price for the TAM model! Was it refurbished/used? If it was a brand new one I'd keep it. I have one and love mine. But I agree, it's a personal choice. Watch reviews and see if you can test it out in person to help you decide.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    3 times
    The T100 CHI is one of the best built PCs I have ever purchased in over twenty-five years.

This device is well worth the extra cost. All of the components seem to be better than normal. The power usage during sleep is only a few percent per day in my early tests. The screen is very bright (almost twice the T100TA). The eMMc read-write speed is 170 / 70, much faster than early T100s.

The battery life is very good. I ran a video for one hour and saw less than an 8 percent drop in battery usage. The keyboard uses less than 10 percent of its battery per day for me.

Touching and using this machine makes other devices feel "cheap". I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 13, a Toshiba Portege, a Dell Venue 8 Pro. They are excellent PCs but do not feel as fine.

Compared to the T100TAM, with the Chi, you get:

1) a much brighter screen (readable outdoors),
    2) 1920 x 1200 screen resolution,
    3) a faster charge time (less than 4 hours),
    4) much better build quality,
    5) a better hinge mechanism,
    6) a thinner tablet (possibly the thinnest Windows tablet),
    7) a metal tablet case (not metal trim),
    8) the flexibility of reversing the tablet in the dock so that when closed, the screen is visible,
    9) side mounted stereo speakers,
    10) a 5 megapixel rear camera,
    11) active stylus support.
    Last edited by Ipaqman; 04-24-2015 at 08:54 PM. Reason: rearrange list

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T300 Chi
    Liked
    0 times
    My $0.02. Unless you need it/have a use for it now I'd return it especially if you'd need/want to apply the cash to a later purchase. Otherwise if you can afford and are happy with the 100 I'd keep it and wait for the eventual ASUS X series atom upgrade. Personally I'm not sure why they didn't do it right with the T100 Chi? (Maybe they want to push the price to skyhigh numbers like Surface 3? Lack of availability of desired part, e.g. x3 or x5 v. x7 etc.)

Thinking about it, a new T200 Chi sometime later in the summer or fall maybe with an x5 or x7?

9) Does anyone really ever use a rear camera on a tablet? I never have except on my first one or two just to see what the photos turned out like(crap).

But adding a T100 Chi plus, doesn't it come with a stylus? Some people might like that. I'm on the fence ATM as I've not used one since resistive screens(good) other than the ones that are just finger replacements(crappy). Sounds like my researching windows tablets that alot of people buy them almost exclusively for notetaking(onenote?) or drawing...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1223 times
    I don't think any of the Chi models come with a stylus, they apparently support them though...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    3 times
    Here is an update to my purchase of the T100 Chi.

I really like the Chi a lot but there were a few nits that made it not worth the extra $150.

With the Chi, you get fullHD but there are too many programs that do not have visible menus even with the text size doubled.

I tested the throughput of the Chi USB 3.0 port and only got a small increase in speed. The TAM USB 3.0 port ran at full speed.

The Chi keyboard dock squeaks when held by a corner as if there are only plastic clips and not screws holding the dock together.

I ran into a daily BSOD after installing my usual software. The BSODs would appear when resuming from sleep.

The microsd card sticks out of the microsd slot about 1/2 mm. The T100TAM has a sloped curve so that the protruding card is hidden behind the curve. The flatness of the Chi means that the card protrudes and can be pressed too easily.

The Chi does not have an easy way to open the clamshell. The TAM tablet is slightly larger than the keyboard providing a grip to open the notebook.

I found a brand new T100TAM for $299 at Staples and decided to compare the two. The TAM screen is bright enough for indoor office use. I got a PCMark 7 score of 2816 for the TAM which is higher than the Chi score of 2772. That was a surprise since they have the same CPU and the same Samsung eMMc drive. My guess is that Chi CPU runs into more heat throttling.

The TAM is thicker and heavier but the fit and finish is good. There is metal on the tablet back and on the keyboard dock. I really like the full size USB 3.0 port.

I think I will keep the TAM over the Chi.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ipaqman View Post
    I ran into a daily BSOD after installing my usual software. The BSODs would appear when resuming from sleep.
    You probably got some virus or something. BSODs have nothing to do with new hardware. I have not gotten a single BSOD or window's related issue since I got mine. This statement is highly subjective to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ipaqman View Post
    I got a PCMark 7 score of 2816 for the TAM which is higher than the Chi score of 2772. That was a surprise since they have the same CPU and the same Samsung eMMc drive. My guess is that Chi CPU runs into more heat throttling.
    Another thing, CPU throttling? Perhaps? Perhaps not. The more accurate and logical guess is that the Chi is a FHD screen. From what I know of PCMark its a comprehensive test and that includes the GPU. The GPU is now powering more pixels and hence lower scores is to be expected.

It seems that you really dislike the Chi. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Chi. Could it be better? Yes. But its is good enough on its own? Yes. IMHO, it all boils down to if (FHD, Stylus Support, Slimmer) is better than (Full USB ports), everything else is a smaller concern

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links