Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

Sudden change in battery behaviour - how to interpret Battery Report results

My daughter uses a T100TA at college and she called me yesterday to say that her machine has started shutting down while she is working on it (attached to AC power). At first I thought it might be a charging/connection issue, but she has since told me that it is charging overnight but drains very quickly and loses charge while attached to the AC power. Today she sent me a Battery Report (zipped, Word version attached) which I am having trouble interpreting.

The Recent Usage section seems to show the PC shutting down after the battery draining to 1% while on AC charge on the night of 19 February but then recharging back to 100% overnight. During the day it seems to lose charge rapidly when in use, despite being attached to the AC charge (eg, between 11.41 and 13.36 on 20 February), and it then (on the same day) it drains from 47% to 2% after 2 hours and 20 minutes of use while attached to AC.

The Usage History section shows a sudden change in Battery Duration and AC Duration on 14 February, although the numbers before this date do vary widely.

However, the Battery Capacity History section does not seem to show much change - just a slowly deteriorating full charge capacity. But I guess that this is expected as the battery ages.

I'm really unsure how to proceed with this as the evidence seems to show that 1) the charger is working fine, and 2) the battery is OK - but clearly something has changed. She says that she's checked Task Manager regularly and has not seen anything using excessive CPU - but she has also said the machine seems to be running slowly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how (remotely) I can try to address this?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    244 times
    As a first shot, try to power down/restart the tablet. There could be some application running amok and draining the battery. That it runs slowly also indicates that something is spinning the CPU.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    As a first shot, try to power down/restart the tablet. There could be some application running amok and draining the battery. That it runs slowly also indicates that something is spinning the CPU.
    I think she tried that a few days ago but I will ask her to try it again and see if the issue continues. Thanks.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    I'd also ask if she had installed anything new before this started to happen. If so, then get it uninstalled.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times
    Weird behaviour of T100 after trying microHDMI to vga adapter

Ask your daughter if there's a high-pitched buzz or "squeeeeee" noise emanating from the VGA port/SD card area. This noise should only be audible if the tablet is on, or in standby (screen off). It should also be accompanied by the tablet being unusually warm even without load.

If it is, it's hardware issue and you're pretty much SOL. My and one other user's tablet died in a very similar way too. With mine, it exhibited a very similar set of symptoms as for your daughter's (discharging faster than charging even on AC charger).

Your battery-report says that CS was draining at 384mWh but for if you look at the capacity drop, you lost like 10,000mWh over 2h (14:10-16:29)...which is more like 5,000. Hence, the drain is something that's not being captured by powercfg.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    OK. Thanks for the various suggestions. This weekend I visited my daughter and got my hands on the PC for a few hours. These are the results:

* There are no odd noises coming from the PC to indicate hardware issues
    * I disconnected all other devices (eg, USB connected disc drive, keyboard, mouse and network) but this did not seem to improve the charging rate
    * I tried using another power adaptor and another cable but still the battery did not charge when in use - if the PC is idle (<5% CPU) it maintains the same charge level; if it's busy it discharges
    * I checked for recently installed applications but nothing has changed for a while
    * I checked for running processes in Task Manager but nothing unusual seen there
    * I started up in Safe mode but that did not seem to affect the charging rate
    * I ran a virus scan but that picked up nothing
    * I ran a powercfg /energy report but that did not seem to find anything important
    * I reran the Battery Report and this still shows a rapid discharging rate when in use while on AC power

At this point I ran out of ideas...

At the moment she is surviving by hibernating the device overnight to allow it to charge up to 100% and she has to try to keep it connected to AC power as much as possible to get it to last.

Is there anything else I could usefully check?

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    244 times
    It sounds like a hardware problem, but just to throw you one more long shot: A short time ago my wife's win10 notebook, which normally lasts 10-12 hours of active work, started to have charging issues. However long we charged it it stayed at 5%. And pop-up messages about battery problems. Hibernating it made no difference, reboot didn't help. Finally I powered the notebook off, and charged it overnight while off. Now it's back to normal.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times
    1) Use Macrium to create a snapshot of your tablet.
    2) Reset the tablet to factory defaults to see if the charging problem persists. That would be the definitive way to determining whether this is hardware or software.

Using macrium will allow a backup that you can return to easily, if you need to.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    69 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    ...powered the notebook off, and charged it overnight while off...
    Try this & let us know.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I have an TF700T since October 2012 running 4.2.1 and have just cured a similar problem:

For the last week or so it wouldn't charge beyond 94%, no matter whether I charged it in my audio dock, directly from the wall wart, or indirectly from the wall wart through the keyboard dock.

Furthermore, this morning I watched a moviie (A Dark Knight Rises) from an .mp4 on my sd card to run the battery down. The net result was that it went from 94% to 22% which rather surprised me.

However, since it always reboots from 'Power Off' if I plug it in, I tricked it by plugging it in and then Powered Off. Long story short; I left it charging directly from the wall wart and after about 4 hours I got bored of waiting for the orange charging led to turn green -- and leaving it still plugged in, I press the Power button and while it booted the charging led turned green. And, lo and behold, it is fully charged, so much so that even a few minutes of checking my Android version, and the approximate purchase date it is still showing 100%.

Hope this helps

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links