Thread: Best practices for battery life

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times

Best practices for battery life

There aren't too many options really in our situation, but I'd still like to know if there is any harm in what we will be doing.

The T100 will be used as a 'desktop' computer.
    It will need to be plugged into power during the work day as one component (USB pole display) requires power that can't be provided by battery alone.

So in the end, the T100 will not use battery power alone except when turned off for the night.

Will this harm the battery life? Are there any other options if it will?
    TIA

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    You will get a lot of different answers as to "best practice". For Li-Ion batteries, I think heat and depth of discharge are most important. Read the material on Li-Ion batteries at Battery Univeristy:
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    janner43 and LikesCookies like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    You will get a lot of different answers as to "best practice". For Li-Ion batteries, I think heat and depth of discharge are most important. Read the material on Li-Ion batteries at Battery Univeristy:
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    Thanks fiat. Lots of interesting stuff at that site.
    I was going to quote a few things but the one most important in my situation came near the very end of the article:

"Most users do not remove the AC power, and this practice is safe."

That's really all I need to know.
    I also learned that charging stops when the battery is full.
    Does this mean that if plugged in all day, the battery will stay at a neutral state of being always fully charged?

I'd also like to know if it makes any sense to by a backup battery for my T100's?
    BTW these are not new T100's. I bought them used (a couple of year's use).

I read just recently that the shelf-life of Lithium Ions are only about one year.

I'm concerned that if I need a new battery in a year or two, they may be difficult to come by.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Oh good grief - not this old chestnut again...

Opinions are one thing, facts are another.
    1. Asus tell you not to leave the device connected to a/c power or it will shorten the life of your battery
    2. All lithium batteries will benefit from being looked after properly as per the copious guidance given here time after time
    3. The comment you quote with regards to permanent connection to a/c pre-supposes that the charging circuit in the T100 & it's charger act as described and given Asus tell you to not to do this, I think it is an unsafe assumption to make
    4. Asus specify their batteries to include the "planned obsolescence" that the article refers to, hence you cannot rely on the device working for any more than 2/3 years at most in my view
    5. You are far better advised to plan and cost in full replacement units on a rolling program if you are trying to run a business using these "non business", "consumer aimed", budget devices

Finally, please post in the correct section - moved to the Battery section.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMan View Post
    [...]Does this mean that if plugged in all day, the battery will stay at a neutral state of being always fully charged?
    Pretty much.
    The battery has a slow self discharge. When the charging logic notices, it will top up the battery. This means the machine hovers around 100%. The self discharge and recharge are so small, you will not notice, unless you look at exactly the right moment. It does generate a bit of heat and does keep the battery at one end of its charge cycle, so some people do not like it. It is still better than cycling the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMan View Post
    Thanks fiat. Lots of interesting stuff at that site.
    I'd also like to know if it makes any sense to by a backup battery for my T100's?
    BTW these are not new T100's. I bought them used (a couple of year's use).

I read just recently that the shelf-life of Lithium Ions are only about one year.

I'm concerned that if I need a new battery in a year or two, they may be difficult to come by.
    I have no ASUS-specific information, but the batteries in my other laptops are only used when necessary and they have very long lives. I hope my t100ha is the same.

The questions nobody has answered are
    * can you easily buy replacement batteries ?
    * can you easily put them in ? Some of the cheaper devices are notoriously hard to open.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    https://www.asus.com/support/article/604/

None of the T100 range have "user serviceable batteries" - neither are they true laptops. With laptops, you can remove the battery if the device will be permanently connected to a/c.

Given the above, opening a T100 will certainly void warranty & may well result in user damage if the user isn't careful or skilled enough to do it...

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    https://www.asus.com/support/article/604/

None of the T100 range have "user serviceable batteries" - neither are they true laptops. With laptops, you can remove the battery if the device will be permanently connected to a/c.

Given the above, opening a T100 will certainly void warranty & may well result in user damage if the user isn't careful or skilled enough to do it...

"1. Remove the battery from the notebook and disconnect the power adapter when the notebook will not be in use for more than two weeks."

From the link you provided above janner.
    So the battery info is clearly not specific to the T100 series. Who is going to remove the battery in those situations?

It seems to me that these T100's are a different breed of animal compared to traditional laptops/netbooks.

I have noticed that when the T100's battery charge is very low, you won't be able to turn on the device until it has charged to minimal level.
    This leads me to believe (correct me if I am wrong) that the T100 can not be powered by AC power alone.

That is, remove the battery and the T100 will not work. Is this correct? Has anyone here ever tried that, when they were changing the battery?

I have an ASUS eeePC that is almost 10 years old. Smaller than the T100 and I can remove the battery from the unit and power it just fine with the power adapter.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    To be fair, a T100 isn't a laptop at all. It is a tablet with a keyboard dock.
    One model - the T100 Chi - doesn't have a keyboard that physically connects at all - it uses Bluetooth for the connection.

As far as running without a battery... - Anyone tried it?

Personally, I doubt it will work without a battery, but then again...
    Tablets are most definitely wired differently to laptops as far as power supplies and charging is concerned. For example, most tablets will turn on automatically when you connect them to a/c power. Most laptops in my experience do not.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links