Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is charger overheating mainly due to defective battery?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Exclamation Is charger overheating mainly due to defective battery?

I know my battery is defective because my T100TA often just turns off when the battery gets below around 40% (see another thread that has discussed this problem), but I currently can't afford to be without my unit for a few weeks while Asus fixes it, so I have not gotten it fixed and will not do so for at least another month. I have had this problem for several months. Over the last couple months I also noticed my original charger would get very hot to the point of giving off fumes or a smoky smell, so I replaced it with another original charger, and the same thing happened to that one, too. After reading another thread's suggestions about getting the PWR+ 3.5 amp charger, I got that and, while it does not get as hot as the original charger, it still gets quite warm to the point of again giving off fumes. So my questions are:

1, Do any of you who have the PWR+ 3.5 amp charger find that it can get quite warm when charging?

2. Is my defective battery the main cause of my chargers' overheating?

3. when the chargers overheat to the point of giving off fumes, does that mean they are already irreparably damaged and will continue to give off fumes when in use?

Thanks for all feedback and information.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    1) Moved to the BATTERY & CHARGER section
    2) ALL chargers get hot in use.
    3) The charger being hot does not damage the battery
    4) NO charger should "give off fumes" - why would you continue to use one that does!!
    5) If you are using ANY charger other than the Asus supplied charger you may have damaged the battery which in turn could damage the charger.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    I use the PWR+ 3.5 and it gets very slightly warm when in initial use. I do charge my T100 with it and I have a digital current meter in series to monitor current draw. When first plugged in, it'll draw 1.83A and over the 2-3 hours to fully charge the battery current draw will slowly decrease to zero.

Bottom line for you, is you have a bad battery and until you solve that, an over current issue with any device could in the worst case "start a fire".

YOU NEED TO TAKE THAT ISSUE SERIOUSLY. Starting a fire is much worse than a few weeks without your T100.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    I use the PWR+ 3.5 and it gets very slightly warm when in initial use. I do charge my T100 with it and I have a digital current meter in series to monitor current draw. When first plugged in, it'll draw 1.83A and over the 2-3 hours to fully charge the battery current draw will slowly decrease to zero.

Bottom line for you, is you have a bad battery and until you solve that, an over current issue with any device could in the worst case "start a fire".

YOU NEED TO TAKE THAT ISSUE SERIOUSLY. Starting a fire is much worse than a few weeks without your T100.
    Thanks Rickscheller and Janner43.

Janner43, you misunderstood one of my questions. I asked whether my defective battery could be the main cause of my chargers' overheating (not the other way around.). Rickscheller, I'm trying to be sure whether my chargers' heating and odor when hot or warm are normal or whether because of my sensitivity to odors, it's just me being overly sensitive (I don't actually see any smoke or fumes coming out of the chargers); so to help me better understand what may be going on, I'm very interested in what you and Janner43 said about bad batteries. Did you mean a bad battery would cause an over current issue (too much current) in the charger itself, i.e. that the charger would start to draw more power from the electrical socket than what it is supposed to? How would that happen? And Janner43, how would a damaged battery in turn cause damage to the charger? Can you explain in a little more detail? Thanks again!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Rickscheller,

ALSO, you said your PWR+ gets very slightly warm when in initial use. That is my experience as well, but can you tell me what happens when you use it to charge your T100 for a longer time while you are using your T100 at the same time connected to the internet? Does the PWR+ then get even warmer? Thanks again!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    If a charger is faulty and sends the wrong voltage to a device, it will either...
    1) Not charge at all or slowly (low voltage) or
    2) Fry the circuitry of the device being charged (high voltage)

If a battery or the charging circuitry on a device is faulty, it might (& its only a possibility) try to draw a current from the charger of a higher amperage than the charger can cope with, thus causing overheating to the charger and a potentially damaged charger.

You also need to remember that your charger is an a/c to d/c charger. It converts 110-20v a/c to whatever d/c voltage is specified - on the original Android TF it was 15v. On a normal USB charger, it is 5v. The charger will not draw too much from the socket. The device being charged, if faulty in some way, might draw too much current (amps) from the charger.

ALL chargers get at least warm to the touch when in use. Some even get "hot" - not "burning hot", but "hotter than warm". NO charger should get so hot that it off-gasses or emits any sort of odour other than perhaps a "hot air" smell. You certainly shouldn't get anything like "very hot to the point of giving off fumes or a smoky smell". As Rick wisely pointed out, it would appear that a fire risk is a very real possibility.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Exclamation PWR + 3.5A charger recommended by Rickscheller

Rickscheller, I have found that the heat of the PWR + 3.5A charger is less than the 2.0A charger, and it gives off no smell unless I put my nose right up to it (just a little then), but what I really want to know, to see if it is working normally, is: does your PWR+ 3.5A charger get only slightly warm initially or for the full duration of time that you use it, especially if you are using your T100 at the same time as charging it. Or, in your experience, does it get warmer or even much warmer after a period of time? Please let me know; thanks!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    If a charger is faulty and sends the wrong voltage to a device, it will either...
    1) Not charge at all or slowly (low voltage) or
    2) Fry the circuitry of the device being charged (high voltage)

If a battery or the charging circuitry on a device is faulty, it might (& its only a possibility) try to draw a current from the charger of a higher amperage than the charger can cope with, thus causing overheating to the charger and a potentially damaged charger.

You also need to remember that your charger is an a/c to d/c charger. It converts 110-20v a/c to whatever d/c voltage is specified - on the original Android TF it was 15v. On a normal USB charger, it is 5v. The charger will not draw too much from the socket. The device being charged, if faulty in some way, might draw too much current (amps) from the charger.

ALL chargers get at least warm to the touch when in use. Some even get "hot" - not "burning hot", but "hotter than warm". NO charger should get so hot that it off-gasses or emit any sort of odour other than perhaps a "hot air" smell. You certainly shouldn't get anything like "very hot to the point of giving off fumes or a smoky smell". As Rick wisely pointed out, it would appear that a fire risk is a very real possibility.

All the best
    I guess it could be matter of subjective interpretation on the "hot air smell"; even that smell has some fumes in it or else it would not be a smell. Maybe that's what I'm smelling. In any case, what I do know is that the smell of the PWR+ 3.5A charger is almost non-existent compared to the original Asus 2.0A charger.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by novice1 View Post
    I guess it could be matter of subjective interpretation on the "hot air smell"; even that smell has some fumes in it or else it would not be a smell. Maybe that's what I'm smelling. In any case, what I do know is that the smell of the PWR+ 3.5A charger is almost non-existent compared to the original Asus 2.0A charger.
    I concur, the original Asus 2A charger does get warmer in use than the PWR+ 3.5A charger while everything is functioning properly. The "warmth of the charger, while in use, will taper off as the battery charge increases up the curve to full charge.

To the original OP, you said your T100 shuts off at about 40% battery. Since the battery in the T100 is comprised of two lithium ion battery cells, I'd guess connected in parallel... would explain your two observations. I believe one of the two Lion battery cells has a low resistance short which is: 1) why any charger used will get warm/hot... since the bad cell is drawing excess current across that shorted cell, 2) having that shorted cell not to take a charge will cause the T100 to shut off at 40% battery.

Think of it as a car battery with a shorted cell. Car won't start or turns over slowly and the battery won't hold a charge on that cell over-working the alternator. Root cause = bad battery.

Again, you need to replace the battery pack.
    Note, this can be done yourself. There are youtube videos showing how.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by novice1 View Post
    I know my battery is defective because my T100TA often just turns off when the battery gets below around 40% (see another thread that has discussed this problem), but I currently can't afford to be without my unit for a few weeks while Asus fixes it, so I have not gotten it fixed and will not do so for at least another month. I have had this problem for several months. Over the last couple months I also noticed my original charger would get very hot to the point of giving off fumes or a smoky smell, so I replaced it with another original charger, and the same thing happened to that one, too. After reading another thread's suggestions about getting the PWR+ 3.5 amp charger, I got that and, while it does not get as hot as the original charger, it still gets quite warm to the point of again giving off fumes. So my questions are:

1, Do any of you who have the PWR+ 3.5 amp charger find that it can get quite warm when charging?

2. Is my defective battery the main cause of my chargers' overheating?

3. when the chargers overheat to the point of giving off fumes, does that mean they are already irreparably damaged and will continue to give off fumes when in use?

Thanks for all feedback and information.
    When the unit is in use while being charged, the AC adapter will get a bit warmer than normal but what you have described should be taken seriously and should be handled as quickly as possible. To protect yourself and your environment, I would strongly recommend that you send the notebook in with an RMA. Please email us at socialsupportus@asus.com with more details to the issue as well as the serial number and your location.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. Your case number is N150852246. We will be more than happy to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

Thank you,

In Search of Incredible

Technical Support Department

ASUS USA :: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-
    rickscheller and DKL like this.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links