Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Faster better Original ASUS Charger?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Faster better Original ASUS Charger?

Hello,
    it seems that a faster charger is available.
    ASUS Shop ? 15W NB Adapter N15W-01
    15W means 5 Volt with 3 A!

And there is also a 18W charger available but with higher Voltage?
    Netzteil für Asus T100TA Transformer Book Serie: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör
    5V - 15V with 2A?

I am wondering how my Asus T100 knows, how much Ampere it can draw? I once built a 5V 2A charger. First I just attached a microUSB Cable to the Powercord. Realized that my Tab took too long to charge, I found a Page on XDA Forum why. The Tablet only draws 0,5A when the 2 Datapins are not crossed. So I crossed this 2 Datapins and it charged perfectly
    The Method - Post #3 - XDA Forums

But now I am asking myself, how my T100 knows that he can draw 3A? Build in a resistor?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Typically any device which doesn't have "special branded quick charging ability" Will never draw 3 amps from any charger. Special charging circuit and technology (eg Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0) is needed to prevent damage to the device. Otherwise the device is "smart" enough to simply just draw 2 Amps.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cuddlebear View Post
    Hello,

5V - 15V with 2A?

I am wondering how my Asus T100 knows, how much Ampere it can draw? I once built a 5V 2A charger. First I just attached a microUSB Cable to the Powercord. Realized that my Tab took too long to charge, I found a Page on XDA Forum why. The Tablet only draws 0,5A when the 2 Datapins are not crossed. So I crossed this 2 Datapins and it charged perfectly
    The Method - Post #3 - XDA Forums

But now I am asking myself, how my T100 knows that he can draw 3A? Build in a resistor?
    I have tested it and the T-100 is not able to draw more 1.8 to 2.0A on a 5.17V supply, so a 3A charger will be wasted, the T-100 will only draw 2A anyway
    Poul

T100TA DK024H - Z3775 - 64Gb
    PNY 128Gb mSD
    BIOS 307 - Win10 Pro

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pbekkerh View Post
    I have tested it and the T-100 is not able to draw more 1.8 to 2.0A on a 5.17V supply, so a 3A charger will be wasted, the T-100 will only draw 2A anyway
    Yep... aka "smart charging" so the device being charged doesn't overheat and eat itself alive.

However the length of the cable and the wire gauge can reduce that 2A out of the charger and cause it to be much less at the T100 connector. So, if you get a 3A charger with a six foot cable with larger gauge wire, you'll get a full 2A at the T100 power connector. So really, the 3A charger is not wasted.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 05-06-2015 at 02:35 PM.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Why was this thread posted in General Discussion?

And the information about shorting two cables is fully documented here in a fully illustrated guide thread which is a Sticky!

And there has been a 3a charger available for some T100 models for many months now...

Moved to Battery / Charging Section
    Forum: Asus Transformer Book T100 Battery Issues
    A place to post all T100 battery issues including alternative chargers, charging issues etc.
    rickscheller likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    Hello,
    United Kingdom power plug.

5V - 15V with 2A?
    European power plug.
    janner43 likes this.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Typically any device which doesn't have "special branded quick charging ability" Will never draw 3 amps from any charger. Special charging circuit and technology (eg Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0) is needed to prevent damage to the device. Otherwise the device is "smart" enough to simply just draw 2 Amps.
    I joined this forum JUST to (possibly if I'm right) share my joy.
    I found the forum as I was google searching for info on using what I am about to share...

Apparently the T100 is Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 certified!!!
    My wife has had hers for 1.5 years and had a love/hate relationship with charging but this may switch her back to the love side.

The document can be found here on Qualcomm site.

I don't have an AC (home) QC 2.0 adapter but in US Amazon has them for around $10.
    I did just order a couple DC (car) QC 2.0 adapters... 2 different brands that claim to be certified, but haven't received them yet.

Maybe this was pre-existing feature or maybe it was part of an Asus update... I have no idea, but if its true this is sweet!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Quote Originally Posted by StuckinPNW View Post
    I joined this forum JUST to (possibly if I'm right) share my joy.
    I found the forum as I was google searching for info on using what I am about to share...

Apparently the T100 is Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0 certified!!!
    My wife has had hers for 1.5 years and had a love/hate relationship with charging but this may switch her back to the love side.

The document can be found here on Qualcomm site.

I don't have an AC (home) QC 2.0 adapter but in US Amazon has them for around $10.
    I did just order a couple DC (car) QC 2.0 adapters... 2 different brands that claim to be certified, but haven't received them yet.

Maybe this was pre-existing feature or maybe it was part of an Asus update... I have no idea, but if its true this is sweet!
    Well I'm very glad you have joined then. Although I'm having Deja vu of having seen this before. I do notice on the thirds page a list of power controllers so perhaps that is the only factor that determines quick charge and it was upgraded on a bios or driver update. Either way it would make it the only windows device on that list

Either that or the document is referring to the new t100 chi.

At this point I'm curious to see some experimental data to confirm any of this. You seem to have a good supply of chargers on hand so perhaps you could prepare a little data for us.

It would be important to use either the stock charging block or any other that has a 5v 2.1 amp output to keep it consistent. Start with the battery at like 15% charge for an hour and report the new level. Then play a looped video to get back to 15% and switch chargers.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

______

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi, another new member here, I wanted to say thanks for posting about Quick Charge 2.0, I had no idea it was a thing. It's unfortunate that the PDF only states Asus T100, with no clue whether it's the TA / TAM / TAF / Chi or all models.

I bought a T100TAF a couple of weeks ago, in the UK. That's the new budget model of the T100 with a Z3735F CPU, 32GB eMMC and no HDD in the dock (Asus product code: T100TAF-BING-DK024B). It's actually not too shabby - it has the same updated LCD panel found in the T100TAM, and the eMMC is now a samsung model that's a little faster than the original T100TA's one. I'll make a post in the general section with the details about the hardware in it though.

The relevant thing is that it has a product sticker just above the dock connection on the back of the tablet, that indicates the input power as "5V/2A, 10W or 9V/2A, 18W". That seems to indicate Quick Charge 2.0 support according to this Qualcomm page's small print in the "Charge up to 75% faster" section.

The sticker itself is impossible to read with the naked eye, the print is less than 2mm tall, so I'd just assumed it was the usual disclaimer guff. A camera with a decent macro mode can pick it out though. I've attached a couple of photos, one showing the location of the sticker on the back of the tablet and a macro shot of the text itself.

Do other T100 models have this sticker with the same input power information?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mysh; 06-01-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Another good find. I just checked mine as was disappointed just to see 10w.

Look forward to your post about componentry. Maybe you can share how you are looking up the eemc manufacturer etc.

______

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links