Thread: Massive Battery drain when using external storage

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Massive Battery drain when using external storage

Apologies if there's a thread already up for this, I've looked around and didn't see one.

I have the 32GB version of the T100, and given that it leaves a very minimal amount of storage space to use, I have both a Micro SD card and USB 3.0 pretty much permanently inserted. It's a Sandisk UltraFit 3.0, but it seems to drain my battery massively, even when it's inserted but not actually in use. Is this normal for USB devices in the T100? It gets pretty hot, and continues draining the device when it's in sleep mode. Charging rates are abysmal when it's inserted, potentially in excess of 10 hours. I checked the sleep study and it did indeed say the USB host was the main culprit.

Have I got a defective USB stick or is this just how it is?

Any help is appreciated
    Last edited by UndisputedGuy; 03-08-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    It may be a defective drive or corrupted, Do a chkdsk on the USB drive.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    You can use h2testw to test a USB drive. Should be easy to find that utility doing an Internet search.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, will try both of those. Not too familiar with them but I'm sure I'll be able to pick it up. Nice to know it's not normal. The USB has a little light that glows when it's inserted, it doesn't stop even in sleep mode.
    I don't really use it in other devices, but it gets relatively hot when inserted in them too. Attached an image of my sleep study report
    Attached Images Attached Images

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Here is a download page for the flash drive tester.Download H2testw - Test hacked flash memory - MyMPx

I suggest you try it. There is something not right with that drive.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Warning: Only 690 of 61036 MByte tested.
    Test finished without errors.
    You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
    Writing speed: 9.61 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 94.0 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4

Those were the results I received, the read speed seems OK though the write speed appears a bit slow. I'm aware that it's recommended to wipe the card fully before running the test, but given it's mostly full I can't really do it now since it'd take a lot of time. No issues were found though, and I ran a chkdsk which also returned no issues. I was honestly of the opinion this was a problem for all tablet users who use a USB stick but it doesn't seem to be the case

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UndisputedGuy View Post
    Apologies if there's a thread already up for this, I've looked around and didn't see one.

I have the 32GB version of the T100, and given that it leaves a very minimal amount of storage space to use, I have both a Micro SD card and USB 3.0 pretty much permanently inserted. It's a Sandisk UltraFit 3.0, but it seems to drain my battery massively, even when it's inserted but not actually in use. Is this normal for USB devices in the T100? It gets pretty hot, and continues draining the device when it's in sleep mode. Charging rates are abysmal when it's inserted, potentially in excess of 10 hours. I checked the sleep study and it did indeed say the USB host was the main culprit.

Any help is appreciated
    Just to set your expectations, any peripherals connected on the tablet especially external storage's, will drain battery ofcourse, and external hard drives do drain massive battery from the tablet if not on AC Power source, because they require such.

Apart from the above suggestions, you seem to have a problem with the USB xHCI host controller, which does not even sleep properly, Check ALL the components under Device Manager especially the one which states power drainage in the sleep study report, (Right-Click Start > Device Manager) just to make sure, does it have this checked under 'Power Management' tab, some components will mention this some won't, if not then that's your main problem,

2015-03-09 13_52_22-USB Root Hub (xHCI) Properties.png

Another thing, get Battery Bar, remove the Ultrafit storage device, then see the Discharge Rate, it will be around 1000-2000+/- ish, connect your Ultrafit back again, do some copy paste from the tablet to that, notice the Discharge Rate jumping twice again and will stay at a higher state, as long as it's connected, I would strongly recommend, removing such devices when not in use, as this causes future, BSOD's/Kernel issues, corrupt drivers and even keeps the system from sleeping properly because of constant Wake/Sleep iterations without refreshing the driver state properly, keeping in mind this is a connected standby machine. It might also be a potential, Driver update to that stick, if it did from Windows Optional Updates, then roll-back the driver, alot of times the Optional updates cause such problems of drainage/mishaps hence don't install any Optional Updates on the tablet, do the recommended/critical ones only. Goodluck!
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Just taking a leap here, but could Windows Indexing be part of the problem? Setting Windows to only index the C: drive might help the USB to go to sleep. (just guessing here, but it seems logical to a non computer savy person)
    UndisputedGuy likes this.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by swood View Post
    Just taking a leap here, but could Windows Indexing be part of the problem? Setting Windows to only index the C: drive might help the USB to go to sleep. (just guessing here, but it seems logical to a non computer savy person)
    By default in Windows 8.1, the indexing locations are as follows outlook gets added automatically if you installed it,

2015-03-10 16_13_23-Indexing Options.png

2015-03-10 16_14_38-Indexed Locations.png

Unless the user adds that USB drive, as an indexing location specifically, which is likely not the case here. It won't index it automatically.

More info on indexing,
    http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/wi...h,2-740-2.html
    Last edited by Caster; 03-10-2015 at 07:21 AM.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UndisputedGuy View Post

Any help is appreciated

UndisputedGuy:- Hi, we're seeing that you're having a little trouble with you're T100 and we would love to see how best we can help. Based on the information provided we suggest uninstalling the Charger Plus Utility which operates through the usb 3.0 port. This should help with you're battery consumption. If you're still experiencing the issue after doing this then please email us at socialsupportus@asus.com with a serial number and details of the issue.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links