Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    UndisputedGuy:- Hi, we're seeing that you're having a little trouble with you're T100 and we would love to see how best we can help. Based on the information provided we suggest uninstalling the Charger Plus Utility which operates through the usb 3.0 port. This should help with you're battery consumption. If you're still experiencing the issue after doing this then please email us at socialsupportus@asus.com with a serial number and details of the issue.
    It would be good to get more detail on "how" to uninstall this Charger Plus Utility. Thanks Asus_USA.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    UndisputedGuy:- Hi, we're seeing that you're having a little trouble with you're T100 and we would love to see how best we can help. Based on the information provided we suggest uninstalling the Charger Plus Utility which operates through the usb 3.0 port. This should help with you're battery consumption. If you're still experiencing the issue after doing this then please email us at socialsupportus@asus.com with a serial number and details of the issue.
    There is no Charger Plus Utility on any T100 model, nor it is available on any Official T100 Support & Drivers page. This utility is present in Asus ROG and Zenbook etc; machines as shown below, this is how it looks like from the task-bar when it is installed and can be found under 'Program and Features', screenshot from my ROG machine. Please advise properly, and cross check your references. Thank you.

2015-03-10 21_45_42-Massive Battery drain when using external storage.png

2015-03-10 22_02_18-Programs and Features.png
    Last edited by Caster; 03-10-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    UndisputedGuy likes this.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Read through and tried many of the things mentioned in this thread, and I appreciate all those who have tried to help here thus far. In device manager everything seemed to be in perfectly working order, with the computer having permission to turn off the device to save power. I had a look at Indexing, as I saw that mentioned, and this is what I saw (screenshot below). Given that I'm not even sure what Windows Indexing refers to, I'm not really sure how my USB drive got there, nor am I currently sure how to remove it (though I am currently looking through the provided link for more information). Is this the likely cause of the issue?

I also noticed Caster recommended ejecting the device when it's not in use. Would choosing to safely eject the device have the same effect since the system will no longer be reading the stick?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UndisputedGuy; 03-10-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    It might be, Go to Modify and un-select Drive E:\ from the next window which opens up. Close & reopen and see if the changes took effect, it should not be present there. I think, you might have added the drive to the indexing when doing a search or so. When this is done, close all windows where the E:\ is used, then safely remove the drive E:\, re-insert see if it comes back under Indexing, if it doesn't observe the battery having it plugged in while on sleep, if the battery still drains, remove it safely when not in use, that would be the best case otherwise.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, was able to remove it successfully. I'm currently having charger issues so it might be a bit difficult to observe battery levels, but I'm hoping this does the trick. The USB itself seems to cause quite a drain. I've currently got my T100 on charge through my phone charger (I know it's not really a good idea but I don't have many options), and without the USB in it maintains a battery level though doesn't rise, whilst with the USB in the battery drains rather fast.

If the issues persist I'll update the thread hoping for a different solution, as I do often use the drive and may sometimes forget to safely remove it.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    You said your USB drive gets hot in use? That's not good.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, it gets rather warm when I've got it inserted, sometimes shockingly so though now I've just got used to it. Been like this since I had it.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    I'd not use that drive on your T100... heat equals rapid current drain.
    UndisputedGuy likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Something to keep in mind, most thumb drives use a lot of power.

Also the USB3 port on the dock is ALWAYS powered. So if you put it to sleep, it'll continue powering whatever is plugged in. If it is a high draw device, it'll tear through battery life.

I ended up getting a Mushkin Atom 32GB both because it is tiny, but it also has very low power draw. Just .25w at idle and only around 1.5w when active.

The few specs I've found from other thumb drives and the couple other's I own that I've tested with show more around 1-2w when idle and 3-4w when active.

For a 35whr capacity battery, that means just at idle you are probably going to reduce your battery life 10-25% even if you never use the thumb drive and easily a 25-50% reduction in battery life if you are using the thumb drive heavily.

It is a little hard to go back on the capacity of the T100 you ended up purchasing, but I would DITCH the USB storage unless in active use. If you need more capacity for "always attached" storage, get a larger capacity microSD card. Those do not really use power when idle and don't use much when active compared to a thumb drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links