Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: [ SOLVED ] Please analyze my Sleep Study report. Battery drain is out of control!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times

[ SOLVED ] Please analyze my Sleep Study report. Battery drain is out of control!

Hi - This is my first post on the forum, and I'm hoping that someone can help me analyze my Sleep Study report. My battery drains like crazy while on connected standby, and from the report below, I can't identify any obvious offenders. The report is here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hhxovzat9...Study.htm?dl=0

If anyone can offer any insight, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gups View Post
    Hi - This is my first post on the forum, and I'm hoping that someone can help me analyze my Sleep Study report. My battery drains like crazy while on connected standby, and from the report below, I can't identify any obvious offenders. The report is here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hhxovzat9...Study.htm?dl=0Welcome gups...

If anyone can offer any insight, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!
    Welcome gups...

Please list your model# and tell us if you're up to date with Asus Live Update and Windows updates?
    Caster likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Welcome to the forums Gups .

From your sleep report, the red/orange one's have a link as shown below, if you click those, it should point you to much details of those phases and the high drainage reasons, unless we see those we can't comment much on that part.

2015-02-20 23_09_51-Sleep Study.png

However as Rick mentioned above, we need to know your exact model details and if you are on the latest Windows Updates & Asus Live Updates.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    Hi! Thx for the response!

Model Number: Asus T100TA-B1-GR
    Bios: 313 (latest)
    All Windows updates are current

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks, Caster. I just copied and pasted screenshots of the details in the link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmb75vydi8...ails.docx?dl=0

I can't tell from the details what the culprit is...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    That report seems a bit confusing. It says the drain was 907mW per hour and the time span covered was 14:38:50 and doing the math that equals 13,272mWh give or take which agrees with the overall report.

Trouble is, I don't see anything in the top 5 offenders that was active more than 0:01:52?
    Last edited by rickscheller; 02-20-2015 at 01:44 PM.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    I am stumped as well. I thought there would be something there which was active, but the report doesn't show anything noteworthy in the top 5 offender list...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I'm not very familiar with the use of that report. Could there be a "top 5" under each of the five listed sections of the report?

Well, I educated myself a bit here, http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...system-sleeps/ and I still don't know what it says your problem could be?
    Last edited by rickscheller; 02-20-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Rick your right, from a normal view it is quite confusing as all components are fine in green below, I had similar thoughts too .

Gups, Alright, now it seem's pretty clear, Sorry there, but I think it was there in your previous report already , your battery drain is caused by CS (Connected Standby), meaning the device doesn't sleep or the device keeps/works/stays active in the background as per the report and eventually doesn't sleep, look at the detail which I was able to see from the same first report, something is definitely keeping the device awake and not properly sleep, have you had a look under your Power Options? to see if the tablet is sleeping properly, default is 4 minutes.

2015-02-20 23_51_25-Sleep Study.png

2015-02-20 23_51_42-Sleep Study.png

2015-02-21 00_22_52-Sleep Study.png

- 14 hrs, CS Activity (Red One), and the system does not suspend/disengage this activity,
    - 13 Mins, CS Activity (Orange), and the system suspends/disengage's this activity once, and the device sleeps, hence less drainage,
    - Resiliency Phase shows 100%, rest all 0%.

If you want know what is Resiliency Phase in simple words your system is telling the component's it's time to sleep , (this is where I have my doubt's that the system is continuously doing some maintenance/work every 30 secs for kernel maintenance before they even sleep).

2015-02-21 00_25_41-introduction-to-connected-standby - Word.png

2015-02-21 00_43_37-introduction-to-connected-standby - Word.png

Taken from the MS Introduction to Connected Standby here. It's a very good document for help, go through it to understand better.

Some other helpful MS articles,
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...or=-2147217396
    Sleep Study: Diagnose what?s draining your battery while the system sleeps

There is definitely something wrong here. I would start by going through each and every component, looking in the Device Manager, anything with an exclamation mark or some sort? Not sure, since this is the only lead, it'll be hard to narrow down on an exact component which is causing this. As check if all/any components have the below 'Tab' options it should always be checked as shown,

2015-02-21 00_11_50-Device Manager.png

One more thing, did you by any chance also Install any optional driver updates from Windows Updates like SD-Cards, Sensors, etc.? If yes then that's the problem, roll-back to the previous drivers from Device Manager and observe. Just a wild guess, but roll-back your Wifi/Sd-Card/Sensor drivers from Device Manager, It's possible there is one of those components staying awake even if sleep study doesn't catch that particular component you will have to try it, due to bad drivers, or the Action Center (Flag icon next to your battery icon in the notification task-bar bottom right) has issues, which it tries to constantly resolve/maintain but can't, have a look there including the Event Viewer matching the time of your sleep study, it will show you what happened in the background, what maintenance/driver/work it was doing and what's the issue. You will have to do some research and troubleshooting here. Goodluck & All the best !
    Last edited by Caster; 02-20-2015 at 03:01 PM.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    THANK YOU for that very detailed response!! My T100 is currently dead, but will look into all your suggestions once I have the battery charged again.

If memory serves right, it is set to go to sleep in 4 minutes or when the lid is closed or when the power button is pressed.

I actually checked the device manager earlier today and didn't notice any exclamation signs associated with any of the hardware.

I may have updated the Capella light sensor via Windows update, but will try rolling back the sensor drivers to see if that makes a difference.

I'll post back once I have the machine up and running.

Thank you both, again, for trying to help me figure out what's going on here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links