Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ihartley

Thread: Does shutting down the T100 every time wear the battery life span more?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

Does shutting down the T100 every time wear the battery life span more?

Does shutting down the T100 every time, compared to just putting it to sleep, wear the battery life span more?

If I put it to sleep, it still loose some battery juice, but if I shut it down, the battery juice is all there, when I turn it on again.
    But what in the long term?

Does the battery suffer somehow from being shut down/turned on every time?

Thank you!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    Who cares - Use it, enjoy it, it will be obsolete long before the battery is goosed..
    wagman67 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ihartley View Post
    Who cares - Use it, enjoy it, it will be obsolete long before the battery is goosed..
    I totally agree with this sentiment...I perform a shutdown each time, mainly because it, to me, is very erratic when put to sleep as to whether it will wake up easily. Shutting it down, I have zero erratic behavior when booting.

Just my $.02 worth.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    It'll technically last longer as there is less battery discharge overtime. However, unless yours is performing poorly in connected standby, it should only be discharging between 3-6% per 24hrs in connected standby.

Based on a 1,000 charger cycle expected battery life, leaving it in connected standby instead of sleep you are looking at maybe an additional 2% wear over the life of the battery by using connected standby all the time instead of turning it off. MAXIMUM.

I'd say it doesn't matter at all. Use it how you want. I only turn mine off if I think for some reason I won't be using it for a couple of days and want to save a few percent battery charge. But since I use mine near daily, if not several times a day, it rarely is off.

This is compared to my laptop, which I used to use often, but since getting the T100 I probably use once a week on average, I turn it off instead of sleeping it. It starts up in about 6 seconds to the login screen (noticably faster than even my T100 does) and discharges maybe 1% per 2 days off...as opposed to about 5-7% in S3/sleep per day. So if it goes a week or two between use, the battery can be down 30-50% sometimes when I go to use it again if I leave asleep instead of powered off. I generally use my laptop plugged in most of the time, but still unncessary battery wear there.
    Last edited by azazel1024; 03-21-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ihartley View Post
    This is pretty much how i feel about this matter. All i do that's "special" to help my battery last is loosely follow the Battery University recommendations, since they are based on the scientific method and I've had better results with several devices since following them.

In a nutshell, i just avoid extremes. I don't run my battery down any lower than 20% before i charge, if i can avoid it and i may charge it to just 80-90% (not always 100%) before using it and i don't use it plugged in when it's already charged to 100%.

That's it. Its second nature to me now, i don't spend any time thinking about it.

Easy peasey. Just don't beat it up with extreme lows and highs if you can avoid it and don't use it for hours and hours plugged in when its already charged to 100%

To answer the original question, i don't see how shutting down would hurt the battery at much, if at all.
    I rarely shut down, just out of habit, from how i use my laptops and for convenience. I think its good to restart every so often just to clear out the cobwebs or whatever. I probably reboot my T100 at least once a week or so. I haven't had any trouble with the battery running down excessively while its sleeping *knock on wood* It's been ready to go for me every time I've needed for 5 months. It's pretty much been a trouble free since day one

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialCarpet View Post
    This is pretty much how i feel about this matter. All i do that's "special" to help my battery last is loosely follow the Battery University recommendations, since they are based on the scientific method and I've had better results with several devices since following them.

In a nutshell, i just avoid extremes. I don't run my battery down any lower than 20% before i charge, if i can avoid it and i may charge it to just 80-90% (not always 100%) before using it and i don't use it plugged in when it's already charged to 100%.

That's it. Its second nature to me now, i don't spend any time thinking about it.

Easy peasey. Just don't beat it up with extreme lows and highs if you can avoid it and don't use it for hours and hours plugged in when its already charged to 100%

To answer the original question, i don't see how shutting down would hurt the battery at much, if at all.
    I rarely shut down, just out of habit, from how i use my laptops and for convenience. I think its good to restart every so often just to clear out the cobwebs or whatever. I probably reboot my T100 at least once a week or so. I haven't had any trouble with the battery running down excessively while its sleeping *knock on wood* It's been ready to go for me every time I've needed for 5 months. It's pretty much been a trouble free since day one

As someone who works with/repairs computers, this is excellent advice. The charging advice is spot on from what I've read, and I always recommend that people reboot their computers about once a week. Windows updates/cleans/tweaks the registry and updates things, so it's good to periodically reboot.

LjL
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    A minor detail is that, long-term battery lifespan aside, one may want to consider just how much "juice" the battery will lose by shutting down and then booting up again, compared to "leaving it there" in connected standby.

That of course depends on *how long* you're going to leave it there, and how much juice shutdown and reboot consumes. I have hard facts on neither things, but it's worth noting that with most devices, shutdown and reboot ARE battery-intensive operations, because the processor and drive are intrinsically busy, and there is often not power management completely in a working state, so the screen may have unusually high backlighting, or the CPU might be stepping up to its maximum clock, etc.

So at the very least, if you're going to stop using it for an hour or two, then... no, it really won't make sense to power it off completely

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    I think the Transformer Pad / Tablets in general are meant to be on "standy by" / "sleep mode" and shouldn't be treated like a desktop computer modem. I don't see a reason to "power down" a tablet it's purpose is for convenient use instead of waiting for a desktop computer to finish loading all the memory and what not.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by takingflight005 View Post
    As someone who works with/repairs computers, this is excellent advice. The charging advice is spot on from what I've read, and I always recommend that people reboot their computers about once a week. Windows updates/cleans/tweaks the registry and updates things, so it's good to periodically reboot.
    Yessir, sounds like we're on the same page. Once upon a time not so long ago, shutting a computer off every time you were done using it was the norm, especially before Microsoft and Apple had modern OS's that would run reliably without reboot for weeks or months. I definitely don't miss those days, though I have a twinge of nostalgia thinking about them and I still love something about those old computers.

I'm also a long-time Whovian, so we have that in common too.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidPalms View Post
    I think the Transformer Pad / Tablets in general are meant to be on "standy by" / "sleep mode" and shouldn't be treated like a desktop computer modem. I don't see a reason to "power down" a tablet it's purpose is for convenient use instead of waiting for a desktop computer to finish loading all the memory and what not.
    Yup, exactly. And with modern OS's like Windows 7/8 and Mac OS X there is no reason or need to power off every time. I reboot my laptop or T100 maybe once every two weeks maybe, sometimes longer and I've had no performance problems. I haven't had any serious battery drain on my T100 while it was sleeping either as far as I can tell.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links