Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: To Charge or Keep it Plugged In?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times

To Charge or Keep it Plugged In?

Guys, just a quick question:

Do you keep your T100 plugged in while using or do you rely on the battery?

Ive read conflicting articles about how keeping your laptop plugged in will kill its battery
    while another says you should rely on AC power, instead of exhausting the battery cycle by constantly charging & discharging it. Which is which?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mothproof; 03-10-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mothproof View Post
    Guys, just a quick question:

Do you keep your T100 plugged in while using or do you rely on the battery?

Ive read conflicting articles about how keeping your laptop plugged in will kill its battery
    while another says you should rely on AC power, instead of exhausting the battery cycle by constantly charging & discharging it. Which is which?

Thanks.
    I only have my T100 charging when it needs charging, as soon as it is charged I unplug.
    I charge up to 80% > 95% depending on what I expect my use to be.
    I use down to 30% > 40% where possible then charge
    I charge it while I am not using it but will use it while charging when necessary

Basically:
    I try to follow the recommendations of Battery University (as outlined in that wired.com article) as much as possible to save stress on the battery
    But I will use and charge my T100 as needed to save stress on me
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 03-10-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Clarification
    SocialCarpet likes this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FrillyBits View Post
    I only have my T100 charging when it needs charging, as soon as it is charged I unplug.
    I charge it while I am not using it but will use it while charging when necessary

Basically:
    I try to follow the recommendations of Battery University (as outlined in that wired.com article) as much as possible to save stress on the battery
    I'm doing the same,we'll se if it's good for the battery.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm not worried about it...I put it on charge at night & unplug it the next morning. I leave it unplugged until that evening when it's lights out, then I plug it in again. I have no doubt that battery will outlast my use of the T100.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Telstar1948 View Post
    I'm not worried about it...I put it on charge at night & unplug it the next morning. I leave it unplugged until that evening when it's lights out, then I plug it in again. I have no doubt that battery will outlast my use of the T100.
    that's the thing, most of the time the battery will outlast the use or need (or desire!) of the device. My philosophy is not to be too anal is i can help it. Be sensible, dont let it go completely flat, and once 100% stop charging. ALSO if not using, just turn it off rather than having it on Connected Standby mode. AS it boots within 15 seconds its not a big deal for me.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    This is the most comprehensive and reliable information I've found on this topic yet:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

I keep these recommendations in mind when charging/using my T100 and everything else I have with lithium batteries now and I have seen quite noticeable improvments in the longevity of my batteries since I did. No one can follow the recommendations flawlessly, but I can tell you for a fact that NOT keeping your device plugged in most of the time when using it and NOT running it down to near 0% everytime you use it off the plug definitely makes a significant difference in battery health and longevity.

I trust these guys who have taken a scientific approach to this over any old wife's tales or seat-of-the-pants theories from random people on the Internet. Just my two cents. I'm glad someone finally did this so we don't all have to guess about this issue any longer, or get steered the wrong way by people who don't know what they're talking about or are applying rules from Ni-Cad batteries to Lithium Ion, which does not work.
    Swipe likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Thanks for the link SocialCarpet. We have a dedicated thread on the care and feeding of the batteries - It's linked below in my Signature. You can use the "search thread" option to help in your research. There's another link on searching the forum.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_oh View Post
    I'm doing the same,we'll se if it's good for the battery.
    I've been doing it with everything I've bought in the last two years or so, trust me, it works.

I used to do the exact opposite almost. I used my ThinkPad plugged in all the time and frequently ran the batteries down to 5% or less and within 2 years of that kind of treatment, it barely holds 65% of the charge it did when new. Following their technique with an identical replacement battery, after 2 more years I'm closer to 85-90% of original capacity. I'm seeing similar improvements on other Li-ion powered devices I have, though it's too early to tell with some of them.

I'm already convinced though, just based on my experience with my TP, but also because Battery University takes a completely scientific approach to this so there is no reason not to believe them and EVERY reason not to listen to random posters on forums who contradict them with nothing up anecdotal evidence to back up their claims.
    Swipe, Ivan_oh and FrillyBits like this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FrillyBits View Post

Basically:
    thanks for all the tips, guys.
    i just wish the t100 had that feature where you can keep it plugged in without having the battery draw power any longer.
    or like in older laptops where you can take out the battery and you just run it plugged in AC.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Thats something electronics in modern devices do, it "disconnects" the battery so its pretty much the same as you would remove it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links