Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By azazel1024
  • 1 Post By Banise
  • 2 Post By Banise
  • 1 Post By zeo

Thread: How can I charge my TF100 with a PC's usb port?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times

How can I charge my TF100 with a PC's usb port?

I pluged my TF100 in PC's USB port and nothing happens
    so anyone know how to charge TF100 with a PC's USB port?

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    What do you mean nothing happens? The unit will charge very slowly. It will take about 3 times longer then plugging it into the wall socket. You have to be sure the PC does not go into sleep mode as charging will stop.

rscheller
    Don't do that... the PC USB 5V power is only 500mA. The T100 takes nearly 2,000mA to get a decent charge going.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    At least in my experience, with a regular USB port/power output the T100 will either charge very, very slowly or not at all. The min amperage seems to be 1A for the thing to really charge.

The best I have seen from 500ma (regular USB2 port) was around 3% charge over an hour, with the thing being powered off. So that is actually around 1/8th the rate of the regular 2A charger and not 1/4, like you'd expect. It will not charge if it is in connected standby from 500ma. 0% charge accumulated after and hour.

By comparison, my 1A nook charger manages about 10% per hour with the T100 off (about 1/3rd the charge rate of my 2A charger, which is 25% per hour with the T100 off) and about 8% with it in connected standby. It more or less maintains charge on, connected to the 1A charger. It might notch 1% per hour or so charge with really light use.

My 1.35A charger for my Asus Memo Pad 7 HD manages about 12% per hour off, 10% per hour on and very slowly, 1-2% per hour while on and in use.

My 2A T100 charger and 2A Galaxy S3 chargers both managed ~25% per hour off, ~23% per hour in connected standby and around 10-15% per hour while on and in use.
    rscheller likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    The unit will charge very slowly. It will take about 3 times longer then plugging it into the wall socket. You have to be sure the PC does not go into sleep mode as charging will stop.
    Actually, charging from a PC can result in the T100 losing more charge than its gaining.

The included charger and the included cable are the best way to charge. Using other cables or other sources of power will often result in a trickle charge. A trickle charge can fully charge the T100, but usually only if the system is completely turned off. There's a full thread here discussing which other chargers and cables work, and which do not.

For best results, use the included charger and included cable.
    ndbpro likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    What do you mean nothing happens? The unit will charge very slowly. It will take about 3 times longer then plugging it into the wall socket. You have to be sure the PC does not go into sleep mode as charging will stop.
    I mean I plugged in and It didn't change brightness, charging mode, battery icon (on taskbar) and anything else.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ndbpro View Post
    I mean I plugged in and It didn't change brightness, charging mode, battery icon (on taskbar) and anything else.
    It's trickle charging. The T100 isn't designed to charge from a PC.

More on chargers here:

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...er-thread.html
    Last edited by Banise; 02-06-2014 at 08:29 PM.
    Swipe and ndbpro like this.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    It's trickle charging. The T100 isn't designed to charge from a PC.
    Depends on the PC, for desktops there's PoweredUSB and some motherboards support a high power mode for the USB port when a known device that requires a high power output is detected, like Asus's AI Charger feature... Macs (since mid-2007) are able to do so because of devices like the iPad... the USB standard options ("Battery Charging") means that a classic USB 2.0 port can supply up to 1.5A to the compatible devices and a dedicated USB port for recharging may even offer up to 1.8A... the Ai Charger feature that Asus offers can deliver 1.2A...

While, it's possible to work around the limitation of normal USB if you have multiple ports available by combining them, such as a USB Y cable that lets you combine two USB ports for power or a USB 3.0 port might work in a pinch as it supports up to 900ma... Power charging version of USB 3 should be able to provide up to 7.5 watts...

Then there's the USB PD specification that could potentially allow up to 100W over USB that future systems may start supporting...

Though, some device may not charge unless they get the proper signal from the connection to indicate it supports the high power output but I don't think that'll be a problem for the T100...
    ndbpro likes this.

rscheller

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links