Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Asus t100 sleep battery drain problem - share your battery life & settings info

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kristof.petho View Post
    Well, what has COMPLETELY stopped standby battery drain for me:

Go to Windows 10 Settings -> Privacy Settings -> Backround Apps -> and disabled every background app.

My overnight battery drain is down to 1-2% total. I hope this helps some of you! Cheers!
    makes sense will try this.

anyone can suggwst good battery monitoring tool?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
    ...anyone can suggwst good battery monitoring tool?
    Application to check charging current
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    There are a lot of suggestions in this thread & elsewhere to fix the connected standby/sleep battery drain, but I don't seem to have had any luck with any of them.

I had the problem originally on Win8.1 when purchased the tablet over a year ago, but it seemed to go away at some point (whether via Windows updates, or driver updates).
    After upgrading to Win10, and even after a clean re-install of Win10, the problem is back.

Here is a list of the various things I've tried, many in combination with others, so far without success... I'm sure there were other things I've tried too that I've forgotten...

- "Battery Saver" on all the time (set it to be on if battery <= 100%)
    - "Display Off" & "Sleep" both set to the same length of time (2mins)
    - Set WiFi network connection to "metered" (prevents forced Windows auto-updates on Win10)
    - Disabled all "Background Apps"
    - Disabled all notifications & alarms/reminders on lock screen
    - Manually turn "Flight Mode" on each time I'm finished with the device (before closing case, to enter standby)
    - Set WiFi to remain connected during sleep (on both battery + mains power)
    - Set WiFi to NOT remain connected during sleep (on both battery + mains power)
    - Disabled ASUS Scheduled Tasks (seem to be mostly for ASUS auto-updates/notifications, which have never worked anyway!)
    - Don't use "Tablet Mode"
    - Turn off / sleep manually via pressing power button, rather than closing lid or letting it sleep automatically
    - Leave lid of case completely open, and turn off /sleep with power button
    - Spacers/Blu-Tack/Plastic Discs stuck to case to keep lid slightly off the screen (I have seen it reported that this might help!)
    - Disable Microphone and/or Camera
    - DON'T Disable Microphone and/or Camera! (since disabling them seemed to increase sleep battery drain on Win8.1)

I'm pretty much out of ideas now...
    I'm just left with the option of using full hibernate, which certainly prevents battery loss, but does leave me concerned about excessive writes & possible wear on the internal disk.

EDIT: for information, I seem to get the battery drain issue about 1 out of every 4 or 5 connected standby sleeps... where the "change rate" is anything from 100-400mW, compared with the usual 35-70mW I get. And that is all with the keyboard/dock disconnected (of course the drain slightly increases regardless if docked).
    Last edited by Pudsy; 02-21-2016 at 03:18 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry if this has been addressed before and I have not found it (it is a long thread), but are other people finding that the battery drains even when plugged in and it says "plugged in/ charging"?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
    Sorry if this has been addressed before and I have not found it (it is a long thread), but are other people finding that the battery drains even when plugged in and it says "plugged in/ charging"?
    It happened to me a year ago. There was nothing I could do to keep it from discharging, though I could slow it down drastically. Eventually it hit 2 or 3 % charge, shut down, charged up, and never happened again. So you might try forcing a complete discharge (after making a disk image backup for just in case).

So, you posted a month ago. What was the result?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    windows 10 messed connected standby up for me, have got a t100taf, it was the intel audio driver, mute it when u arent using sound, there is no point, its not like ipads etc that mute the sound behind the scenes when there is no audio, i think the audio driver needs an update but i dont know if intel are going to, i think its called Intel SST Audio, turn volume to 0 and all will sleep, if u have an SD card and it falls out then that will cancel the sleep and in sleepstudy it will show SD Host, go to sleep study by opening adminstrator cmd (WIN+X and admin command prompt) and type in
    cd C:\Users\(name)\Desktop
    then
    powercfg /sleepstudy

open the HTML file and it will show how much the change is, under 100mwh is ideal, more than 400mwh means you have an issue. There is also a DRIPS graph, if there are no blue bars on it then there is a driver or something preventing it from sleeping, it is ok for there to be no DRIPS when connected to A/C power, this is because maintenance and Windows update keep it from sleeping, i think this is a good idea because it means that windows updates is mostly transparent in normal use on battery. there is no need to change everything to not allowed in the background, just put on battery saver if u need it, i hardly do so though because i charge a lot. my battery drain is relatively high, ive got the 32gb with no hdd dock, when docked and no battery saver it is usually around 200-300mwh, used to be 140-160 but ive installed facebook which is a battery hog by downloading in the background. i will admit that my old iPad 2 had far better standby characteristics, it had 60 percent and i left it for at least 2 weeks and all the notifications came through when i switched on the screen! Anyone know what the latest bios is or the best for connected standby?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times
    T100-TAM Has Updated Drivers

I was on the newest BIOS but rolled back to 207 because it at least slept. On the newest BIOS I would often find the tablet has its screen off but quite warm over the processor area, but not powering on. When I hard reboot usually a big chunk of the battery is gone; so I'm guessing some process was stuck "on" going like mad.

With BIOS 207 I have around 220 mwh. Older Windows builds had me at 140-160 like you had. I don't have facebook or anything open in the background and I always go into airplane mode + disable touchpad when I sleep (docked)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudsy View Post
    Just wanted to give something back to this site that has been so useful in resolving the few issues I've had with my new T100...

I was noticing higher than expected battery drain during sleep/connected standby, even after turning on flight mode (I first previously assumed wifi would auto-off during sleep, but that's another challenge yet to solve!).

Anyone having issues, definitely use this...

In my case, it was reporting the top offender:- 'Unregistered device \_SB.PCI0.GFX0.ISP0'

Googling gave me little, but after some experimenting, I think it must be either the camera or the microphone. I had previously disabled both of these via Device Manager (thinking it might save some system resources & be more secure against any malware). But I re-enabled them both & instead disabled the microphone via Windows Recording Devices dialog (not sure how else I can disable the camera...?). After doing that, battery drain during sleep is much improved (and I haven't had to remove my SD card).

BEFORE = ~350mW drain per hour (with camera & mic disabled in Device Manager)
    NOW = ~75mW drain per hour (with mic disabled in Recording Devices instead, camera still enabled)

I calculate that as going from 3 days standby to over 2 weeks!
    I arrived here from typing that exact Unregistered Device string in the search box. I am using a Dell Venue 8 (3845) and squeezing as much battery as possible has kind of become a hobby for me. I will try what you suggested and post my results. I've also tried one additional thing that seems to help:

I set my screen timeout to 1 min on battery and require the password after 3 minutes.

I then created two scheduled tasks. One that runs when the tablet is locked (on workstation lock) and another on the inverse.

When the workstation locks, it will run the following command

Code:
    netsh interface set interface name="Wi-Fi" admin = disabled
    and the inverse command runs when it is unlocked. There is a 5 second delay before WiFi is back on, but this will keep my tablet from downloading email, and any other crap I don't want while it is off anyway.
    Last edited by senturion; 12-13-2016 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Didnt finish

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I'll also add that I get about 12-14 hours on my 8" tablet... so even smaller battery devices can reap better results.

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - iOS
    Liked
    0 times
    switch to airplane mode when not in use

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links