Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Asus t100 sleep battery drain problem - share your battery life & settings info

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi all

Flashed new 223 bios last night and have all the latest drivers from Asus and after putting my T100 into sleep last night whilst docked and in airplane mode I got some better results:

Connected standby time |9:06:11
    Battery Usage| 4,323 mWh = 15% of battery

This is much better than 220 bios however I still think this connected standby (not entering real sleep) is more trouble than it's worth to be honest and might follow the guides on here to set up hibernation instead of sleep.

Anyone else got any new 223 bios results?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Here's what I got last night after applying BIOS 223 and the driver updates:

Connected Standby Session 1

START TIME DURATION ENERGY CHANGE CHANGE RATE % LOW POWER STATE TIME
    1 2014-01-07 23:10:01 6:39:47 632 mWh 2% of battery 95 mW Drain 97% HW: 96%

So, 2% over 6hrs 40mins is a big improvement for me, although that is just one night of testing. Recently I have opted for full shutdown rather than risk standby after finding the tablet running from 100% to completely flat overnight.

Zox
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Guys! Do you have battery drain problem while the computer is connected to DC supply? My battery dropped about 30% last night after 5 hours of light browsing, despite the fact it was charged at the same time! I updated bios to version 2.20, but the problem has persisted.
    dcho33 likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zox View Post
    Hi Guys! Do you have battery drain problem while the computer is connected to DC supply? My battery dropped about 30% last night after 5 hours of light browsing, despite the fact it was charged at the same time! I updated bios to version 2.20, but the problem has persisted.
    This is my test

Airplane Mode On
    Brightnest lowest
    Energy settings 1 min and 1 min
    without Dock conected (I dont use keyboard)
    Bios 2.20

After 15 Hours 4-5% - Not bad

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zox View Post
    Are you using the included charger? If so that sounds like a serious problem. If not using the included charger, go back to the included one.

The T100 is not compatible with all USB chargers. Apple compatible chargers will NOT WORK AT ALL. Period. It'll show the LED charging light and under windows it'll say it is charging, but the T100 will not accept a charge from it. I've tested with 6 different Apple compatible chargers and an apple compatible powerbank and none will charge it, even though it looks like they are. Of the non-apple compatible chargers, one will not charge my T100, 2 will and both Asus chargers I have (for 10w from T100 and 7.5w from Memo pad HD 7) charge my T100 fine.

Its annoying to the extent that using non-Apple compatible chargers with my iPhone iPad 2 WILL charge them, just at 2.5w trickle charge rate. The Asus T100 though, not at all. My kill-a-watt registers 0W from the wall using them and the battery life either doesn't go up after several hours off/sleeping and plugged in or even loses a couple of percent.

As for typical, I haven't been keeping close track, but overnight if I leave mine on and in connected standby mine seems to use around 2% in 8-10hrs asleep which I consider pretty good. My wife's iPad 2 I think is a little better as it'll burn around 4-5% per 24hrs sleeping (she has almost no alerts or anything set on it). That said, even if it is 6-7% per day, that is cool with me as that is maybe 50% a week. I can't think of a time I'd just leave it sitting around for a week without using it and without thinking about turning it off before I did that, but I could. Its when battery drain goes up around 10% just overnight that it gets to the infeasible level for me.

Of course, I haven't had battery drain issues on mine, but at least with a working model, the drain in connected standby (updates are set to NOT download or install, only check automatically) is very good IMHO. My laptop, which is an HP Envy 4t Ivy Bridge i5-3317 burns around 8% overnight if left in sleep mode. Which ends up being maybe only 4-5 days of power sleeping the entire time. The T100 seems more like 2 weeks till the battery would be flat, and that is while actually doing a bit of stuff while asleep (like occasionally checking emails, or seeing if there are updates out there, just not downloading them or installing them).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    Apple chargers have a circuit connecting D+ and D- to the +5 and GND. Hence the t100 will default to 500mA charging speed as spec'd in the USB standards. It is still charging albeit very slow. You could hack a USB cable shorting D+ and D- for use with these chargers.

I don't really depend on the percentage level of battery charge on my electronic gadgets. It is not really accurate. That's why other manufacturers just put an idiot icon to show more or less the remaining charge.

Is your t100's battery really that bad? Aren't you hitting the advertised battery life? I just measured twice in mine and it's good. Now I don't worry about it and just enjoy playing with it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Does anyone know how much of an effect that allowing the wallpaper to shuffle has on battery life? I wouldn't imagine it should effect it very much, but it's there under power options so... Yeah, does anyone have an idea? It's not the kind of thing that would show up in a battery report, would it?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TonySon View Post
    Does anyone know how much of an effect that allowing the wallpaper to shuffle has on battery life? I wouldn't imagine it should effect it very much, but it's there under power options so... Yeah, does anyone have an idea? It's not the kind of thing that would show up in a battery report, would it?
    While in use and on? Very, very little. Its more of an issue with HDD based systems in that likely, it might force the HDD to spin-up to retrieve the wallpaper (assuming windows doesn't cache all that to RAM, which it probably does NOT do), which if it hadn't been in use, could mean anything from a few minutes to a lot of minutes of HDD idle battery use. With flash based memory, the additional power use should be miliwatt hours if not microwatt hours everytime it changes the wallpaper.

With a spinning disk, if its set to spin down after 10 minutes, that might mean using an additional .2-.5% battery life in a regular laptop/ultrabook everytime it changed the wallpaper if the HDD was already spun down and would not have otherwise needed to be spun back up for some other reason.
    TonySon likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    i get 4% drain over 14 hrs. Connect to Wifi, BUT i have it only update me of any windows installation rather than downloading.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the response, azazel, and an encouraging one at that. I think I'll give it a shot and see how the battery fares. I'll probably wait a couple of days until I'm even more familiar with how it drains in/under certain conditions, and then do some experimenting with shuffle on. Hopefully, being an SSD-based system, it won't sweat for it at all.

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links