Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Asus t100 sleep battery drain problem - share your battery life & settings info

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    After all the suggestions that I read in these posts I was able to figure out my problem was with the print drivers I installed. I was getting the USB reference in the Sleep Report so I wonder if the driver kept trying to find the printer on the USB. Anyway all is good now and sleeping all night barely takes 1% of my battery. Thanks for all the posts folks.
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Battery Drain

Hi guys, I really need your help

i have bought asus T100TAS, 32gb, with keyboard dock about 2 month ago. I was bought from japan (all the software is in japanese).

at first, my t100 doing good. The battery can survive more than 8 hours

but, after two month, when I close the lid ... battery drain so fast.

I have done sleep study report. this is the result

ss.png

another problem, sometimes i got BSOD

with notification IRQ not equal "something like that", memory error, kernel prower bla bla bla.

I have reset the tablet to factory setting, but the problem remains.

thank you,
    david

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi,
    Im using the T100 for 3/4 year now and as far as I can tell, out of 95% of all battery drain problems, the cause is not the hardware but the *edit* Windows 8.1 OS.
    On my ancient Windows XP Notebook, I never had any problems. If it went to sleep mode it stayed there.
    But Windows 8.1 has the annoying habit, to do all kinds of stuff in sleep mode. And sometimes, depending on the games or programs that are running in the Background, it just doesnt want to go to sleep and wakes up just seconds after I closed the lid or pushed the power button. Sometimes I can even hear BGM while the monitor is shut off and the tablet is supposed to be sleeping.
    So I guess any kind of problem solving is just symptomatic. The real problem is Windows 8.1
    Last edited by Swipe; 12-19-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: forum language guidelines

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    I was having some issues with the battery draining like mad in sleep mode. like 10-15 % per hour. Would wake up in the morning and the tablet would be dead,

Browsed this thread and read some remarks about certain apps and programs running in the back ground. The big two i had were Chrome and Skype. After uninstalling the metro app of skype and installing the normal version, along with upgrading to chrome beta, my battery drain problems have went away. Granted i turn off skype now manually before put tablet to sleep. But so far so good. They were the culprits for me. Not sure which one.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I have an Asus T100TA, purchased from PCWORLD, UK, 15 Dec 2014.
    BIOS A307
    'Setup and personalise' done by PCWORLD, ie set up personal Microsoft account (already existing, used on desktop windows8.1 PC), load Office365, configure Outlook2013, do latest Windows updates,

Day 3 the battery went dead overnight when on sleep mode. I suspected that the battery was not holding charge when on sleep. So I found this forum, read every message, and did some testing, summarised below for what its worth.

Checked Asus Live Updates - none.
    Checkd Windows updates - none.

Battery charge 61% at 6:45
    No wifi, no bluetooth. logged in to Microsoft account. Desktop open.
    Close lid, go to sleep.
    2 hrs later at 8:45, open, lock screen appears, Login required. Still in airplane mode. Battery level = 61%. Good news! Not sure why, maybe wifi off and Bluetooth off is the answer. Still not sure why sometimes swipe up goes straight to deskop but sometimes requires login. Probably time dependent?

8:50, close lid goes to sleep. 61%

9:50, open, login required, 56%. So, 5% lost in one hour. Not good news. Cant work this out. SHUTDOWN.

30-12-14.
    Swipe down to turn camera on, switch this function OFF
    Search and Apps - Use Bing to search online, switch to OFF
    Notifications, switch to OFF
    All apps greyed out ON because top option is OFF?

PC settings, Accounts, password policy, requires a password when display has been off of 15 mins. Set to Never.
    PC settings, Privacy, Location, only 2 ON, maps and weather.
    Updates and Recovery, no change, leave as automatic.
    Lock screen applications in background, switch off:- skype, mail, calender, alarms, so now none.
    Wifi still conncted. Press 'sleep button', 6:00pm, 60% charge.
    7:15pm, 55%, so lost 5% in an hour. Not good.
    Press sleep button.

Swipe up to get All apps, find command prompt, rh click, 'run as administrator'
    Cd to users/****/desktop
    Run powercfg /sleepstudy, CPU time C0 activity main offender
    Bios is A.307
    Dec 30 11:30pm, 94%. Task manager, CLOSE 3 Apps. Wifi Off, ie flight mode. Power button to sleep, close lid.
    Dec 31 9:30am next day, open lid, swipe lock screen, 93%! This is good, only 1% lost in 10 hrs on sleep.

Test 1, Dec 31 tea time, level at 99%.
    Set to Airplane mode, not docked to keyboard, use Task Manager make sure no Apps are still running. Individually selct Live Tiles and select 'close' from the App bar at the bottom. Press sleep button, display off, leave on desk.
    At 1:00am 1/1/15 check by pressing sleep button to get to lock screen, swipe up to Start Screen (no login reqd, previously set to never). On desktop, battery icon, 98%. Lost 1% in 7 hrs? Not too bad, much better than 5%/hr.

Test 2, Continue test, press button to sleep.
    -Nxt morning, 1/1/15 9:00am chck again, 98% . Very good, no battery loss over 8 hrs.
    Test 3, -So, next test, connct keyboard, leave open! Press sleep button. Result? 3 hrs later 12:00, 97%. Not too bad. 1% over 3 hrs.
    Test 4, -Next test, NOT use sleep button, but CLOSE lid manually, screen goes off (sleep), to see if closing lid makes a difference? Result - 6 hrs later, 96%. So good news, method of going of sleep and the lid closed and docked doesnt seem to use much battery power during sleep.

Test 5, Next test - 6:00pm, switch ON wifi, by switching off airplane mode. All other same as above. 96%. Close lid, goes to sleep. Leave idle. Check 4 hrs later at 10:00pm, battery level 90%, So, lost 6% in 4 hrs. Not great, but just over 1% per hour with WIFI enabled. So, wifi ON is significant to battery loss during sleep.

Test 6, 10:00pm, 90%, switch Off wifi agin, airplane mode, sleep by closing lid, to confirm previous test. Result? 10hrs later at 8:00am, battery = 88%. Good, only 2% lost in 10 hrs on 'sleep'. This confirms tests 2,3 and 4 above.

So, where does this leave me? I can get acceptable battery loss (about 2% over 10 hrs if I leave the conditions described in Test 1 above, and set to FLIGHT mode, ie no wifi.

This is not ideal, but I think acceptable. Its not an Ipad (which I also own). Its a Windows 8.1 Transformer book, to be used as a tablet. As others have said I think a certain amount of tweaking is necessary, expected. Sad but true.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    in sleep mode with wifi enabled, your T100 will "phone home" for things like email, facebook, twitter, etc. The OS will also check for updates and other active apps will continue to use a low level of battery. This is in an effort to have these portable devices running Win8+ OS to awaken and be immediately usable. This is a great thing and is by design to make Windows devices compete with other instant on devices such as Android and Apple devices.

I do have one question... are you running an anti-virus or the Chrome browser or anything else that stays resident from the START screen while in sleep?

Your write up was great by the way... it's affirmation that your scenario is pretty normal compared to others.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Rickscheller-Thanks for the acknowledgement.

The T100 also has McAfee Live Update anti virus, loaded and setup by PCWORLD. Chrome is not on the PC. I think I closed all Live Tiles from the Start screen.

Regarding the apparent high loss of battery charge when in sleep mode, I contacted Asus Online Support twice.

The first reply I got from Asus Support was the suggestion that I take it back to the shop for a replacement. I didnt think was helpful. I didnt (and still dont) think that its an actual battery problem per se, but a problem with a combination of OS, Asus hardware and/or activities.

The second response I got from Asus in response to my question as to whether I should update the BIOS (currently 307) was the following - "If you look at the the following webpage, and select BIOS, you will see all the updates and what they fix. The latest is 313. It is entirely up to you whether to update the BIOS."

Im still not sure if I should update the BIOS. Will it make any difference? Will Asus Live Updats facility take care of this?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I always suggest using Asus Live Update because it's a good way for the non-tech types to be close to where they should be with BIOS and drivers. Now having said that Live Update currently thinks 307 is the last available latest, greatest BIOS (Asus are you listening?) and the website has 313 available. I used too think Live Update just lagged behind a few weeks deliberately but over the last six months, it seems stuck at six months ago for not only BIOS but drivers and such. Again... ASUS ARE YOU LISTENING?

From what I know hanging around here for about 15 months, 307 is a solid BIOS but 313 is too. I do suggest updating to 313 if you're comfortable downloading it from Asus and installing it by running WINFLASH. You'll find instructions on how to do that on these forums. It's pretty straight forward. Just make sure you're plugged into power and be patient as the screen will go black for some seconds a couple times and I think some folks get a bit anxious and press the power button during a BIOS reflash and break their device.

307 to 313 may make a slight difference in power draw but it's basically the nature of the beast to use some power in sleep.

As for MacAfee AV, there is a very good thread here on AV software and as I recall, it's not considered to be really power lean for portable devices. YMMV.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello all,

it was very frustrating to buy a new device, got all updates, and still have a battery's drain issue as described in this topic.

Actually I believe nobody should buy devices with such bad karma as Asus t100. Users are not beta-testers for Asus.

I spend hours to solve the issue as I just want to have a working device in my bag no matter how many hours it wasn't in use.

It seems Microsoft was just a fantasy on how they get to post-PC age and so they invented this 'Standy Sleep' which is not working properly for years.

So I just switched off Standby Sleep Mode.

To do that you need to go to the register editor, find this line

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnab led

and switch it to 0.

After rebooting you get full energy settings and, yes, you can set Hibernation as an default action when you power off PC (that is what I did).

You also get many useful settings, and the only loss is Sleep Mode (which wasn't working anyhow).

Good luck.
    rayway99 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavero View Post
    Hi,
    Im using the T100 for 3/4 year now and as far as I can tell, out of 95% of all battery drain problems, the cause is not the hardware but the *edit* Windows 8.1 OS.
    On my ancient Windows XP Notebook, I never had any problems. If it went to sleep mode it stayed there.
    But Windows 8.1 has the annoying habit, to do all kinds of stuff in sleep mode. And sometimes, depending on the games or programs that are running in the Background, it just doesnt want to go to sleep and wakes up just seconds after I closed the lid or pushed the power button. Sometimes I can even hear BGM while the monitor is shut off and the tablet is supposed to be sleeping.
    So I guess any kind of problem solving is just symptomatic. The real problem is Windows 8.1
    i did uninstall the metro skype and the metro fb. battery drain was 4% in 20h

Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links