Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Asus t100 sleep battery drain problem - share your battery life & settings info

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not sure how to interpret this report. Is this saying my tablet was only sleeping for 37 minutes before something woke it up? The other 3 Session Standby report has the UART Controller being the top offender each time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello.

Don't know if this is already been asked but here it goes.

When I suspend the tablet I I'm still getting notifications.

Should this be happening? Can I disable the notifications if in suspended mode?

Thanks.

kodiak

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, common sense would suggest that suspended/asleep etc. = minimum conscious state = machine is essentially OFF, with the only circuits active being those responsible for WAKING it up. It would appear this is not how it is implemented. Notifications and ANY OTHER activity is a serious sleep disorder. My T100 can go from full charge to null in under 12 hours, yet a day later nothing like that happens. I suspect some services, apps, whatever - activate hardware they shouldn't be allowed to touch while asleep. For example, I open up my T100 and see that ASUS update has already ran it's update check. When exactly? While sleepwalking? SkyDrive also appears to be background-active, as it's suspiciously too well aware of the changes I've made - right after I open the lid. In my non-technical observation this thing is FAR from being asleep when we think it is.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    26 times
    i
    Quote Originally Posted by MallyRain View Post
    Well, common sense would suggest that suspended/asleep etc. = minimum conscious state = machine is essentially OFF, with the only circuits active being those responsible for WAKING it up. It would appear this is not how it is implemented. Notifications and ANY OTHER activity is a serious sleep disorder. My T100 can go from full charge to null in under 12 hours, yet a day later nothing like that happens. I suspect some services, apps, whatever - activate hardware they shouldn't be allowed to touch while asleep. For example, I open up my T100 and see that ASUS update has already ran it's update check. When exactly? While sleepwalking? SkyDrive also appears to be background-active, as it's suspiciously too well aware of the changes I've made - right after I open the lid. In my non-technical observation this thing is FAR from being asleep when we think it is.
    Disable wake timers when on battery with the powercfg tool and leave them on when plugged in (so your system can still do some automatic maintenance periodically) That should help you with your wake when sleeping issue. Also before you go to sleep, open task manager and manually close all apps/programs that you are done with. Windows seems to leave apps open or in some suspended state even when you've close them from the start screen.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    As much as I appreciate the advice, I sincerely hope ASUS and MS will get around to fixing this issue properly and permanently, not in some erratic manner, where it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's a MOBILE device ffs, used on the go, throughout a day, in a multitude of applications, once as tablet, once as a notebook. You do not turn it off, you put it to sleep. One cannot expect people to remember to switch some services on or off when on battery, or plugged in or to kill executables, etc. Do we really have to nurture a tablet? That's beyond ridiculous. I have no idea whether that's Windows issue, or ASUS is to blame, but one or both of them should realize what everybody else on this planet seems to understand - proper energy management on a mobile device is a top priority. If it's botched, the device no longer serves it's purpose.

Edit: I've just read that other devices, for example Samsung Smart PCs with detachable docks have very similar problems.
    Last edited by MallyRain; 04-11-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    26 times
    As much as I appreciate the advice, I sincerely hope ASUS and MS will get around to fixing this issue properly and permanently, not in some erratic manner, where it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's a MOBILE device ffs, used on the go, throughout a day, in a multitude of applications, once as tablet, once as a notebook. You do not turn it off, you put it to sleep. One cannot expect people to remember to switch some services on or off when on battery, or plugged in or to kill executables, etc. Do we really have to nurture a tablet? That's beyond ridiculous. I have no idea whether that's Windows issue, or ASUS is to blame, but one or both of them should realize what everybody else on this planet seems to understand - proper energy management on a mobile device is a top priority. If it's botched, the device no longer serves it's purpose.

Edit: I've just read that other devices, for example Samsung Smart PCs with detachable docks have very similar problems.
    While its not perfect, the Windows 8 mobile platform has a way to go. Some people expect a sleeping device to do nothing regardless of whats installed... others understand that Windows OS WILL perform automatic tasks for system maintenance unless you configure it differently from its out of the box state. After all windows 8 is not just a mobile OS and does not regulate every piece of software developed to ensure proper sleep functions.. For me, I'd prefer to have the configurable options than not, that is a big reason why Microsoft has given us some power management tools with win8. IMHO its worth the trade off for the flexibility I get with a full windows system.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Dear sir, powercfg is NOT a power management tool for common folk. Of course, tinkering is good, but it's not for normal users. Normal users want things to work, not spend their precious time pulling levers and writing scripts so their stuff can finally behave as it should out of the box. Or stand guard and kill apps before going to bed. Unless we assume T100 and Win 8 are not for common folk but people who spend more time in their garages fine tuning their cars, than actually driving them. Have you ever laid your hands on an iPad, or a Mac notebook? If you have, you wouldn't be saing things you say - these machines can sleep and perform whatever necessary system maintenance without compromising their sleep abilities. Even some older Windows 7 notebooks I had, did not have to do "automatic tasks" in a way that would make them lose most of their charge during a night. I like Win 8 and Win 8 tablets but I do expect them to be power-conscious, because there is no way a tablet/notebook should require a recharge every day because of it's sleep disorders. And to address this:

windows 8 is not just a mobile OS and does not regulate every piece of software developed to ensure proper sleep functions
    Apparently what breaks proper sleep functions are either Windows elements or ASUS software, NOT some wonky app here and there.

Besides, new BIOS and driver releases that improve these sleep patterns slightly with each step would suggest that the problem exists "out of the box", so to say, wouldn't you agree? So here's to the effort, I hope they can finally make it NOT lose more than 10% of charge every 24 hours WHILE docked as well as plug holes that cause intermittent heavy charge drops due to activity that should not happen while the system is asleep.
    Last edited by MallyRain; 04-11-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    26 times
    Dear sir, powercfg is NOT a power management tool for common folk. Of course, tinkering is good, but it's not for normal users. Normal users want things to work, not spend their precious time pulling levers and writing scripts so their stuff can finally behave as it should out of the box. Or stand guard and kill apps before going to bed. Unless we assume T100 and Win 8 are not for common folk but people who spend more time in their garages fine tuning their cars, than actually driving them. Have you ever laid your hands on an iPad, or a Mac notebook? If you have, you wouldn't be saing things you say - these machines can sleep and perform whatever necessary system maintenance without compromising their sleep abilities. Even some older Windows 7 notebooks I had, did not have to do "automatic tasks" in a way that would make them lose most of their charge during a night. I like Win 8 and Win 8 tablets but I do expect them to be power-conscious, because there is no way a tablet/notebook should require a recharge every day because of it's sleep disorders. And to address this:

Apparently what breaks proper sleep functions are either Windows elements or ASUS software, NOT some wonky app here and there.

It could be an app or desktop program that is utilizing a windows service and keeping it active..

Besides, new BIOS and driver releases that improve these sleep patterns slightly with each step would suggest that the problem exists "out of the box", so to say, wouldn't you agree? So here's to the effort, I hope they can finally make it NOT lose more than 10% of charge every 24 hours WHILE docked as well as plug holes that cause intermittent heavy charge drops due to activity that should not happen while the system is asleep.
    Of course I would agree that is the way things should work. If it worked that way with windows tablets then this thread wouldn't exist. We're here simply to try and rectify some issues that the developers have not finished thoroughly addressing and the community here shares what has improved operation for them. Hopefully with a bit of time they'll work out the bugs but until then we'll tweak what we need to.

Windows 8 / RT being the first mobile windows OS for tablets, its still in its infancy.. You mentioned apple, yes of course they have a great reputation for battery management no doubt, but they also have a strict process for hardware design and allowing what software is available in the apple app store. Their content is regulated. Apple designed their phones and tablets for the everyday Joe, simple and easy without much out of the box option for customization, customer misconfigurations etc.. Windows is on a completely different landscape as it has to function with the million different OEM's out there creating Windows OS based products. There is only one apple.

You could take the conversation further and discuss Android's similarity to use by multiple OEM's, in that case I know that certain apps WILL completely drain a battery overnight even if they are "closed".. often times only a re-boot would fix a random drain issue.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Android, yes, I remember having some Google phone of the Nexus line. It wouldn't wake me up in the morning because it was dead, despite having a full charge in the evening Yeah, all that true, with one exception - I also mentioned a Mac, which does not have as closed an ecosystem as iOS devices. Still, with my MacBook Air I could easily forget where I kept my charger... After six months of use, this was that particular thing I remembered - a battery management at it's best. I had to sell it though for other reasons - it wasn't compatible with my wife. The T100 came to take it's place and it's been battery woes ever since. WITH ZERO OEM apps, just the ASUS stuff. Sigh. I really hope ASUS guys can see this through, because when the T100 works as it should, one can only admire it's battery - I bet it's on par with Mac's, just missing the efficiency factor.

Analyzing my yet another sleepstudy I think I should drop the SD card, disconnect the dock and disable the SkyDrive updates Well, I wonder, I can as well turn the *edit* thing off for the night. Hopefully it won't drain power while being completely OFF )
    Last edited by Swipe; 12-27-2014 at 04:57 AM. Reason: forum language guidelines

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links