Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Asus t100 sleep battery drain problem - share your battery life & settings info

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Hi all, i want to share some info regarding my drain situation and what i did to solve it. This is not a guide how to fix the problem, but just what i tried and what helped my device.

So i was having some strange and not even drain situations, like from time to time i would lose up to 5-6% per hour. I tried a lot of things, made several Resets of the system installing different drivers , updates and so on. For the moment i have tested the device connected to a network, disconnected, docked and only in tablet mode. My drain in the moment is around 1% for 6 hours in tablet mode and around 2% for 8 hours in docked mode.

What i did is following: i reseted my device for the 100th time, cleared all files, and installed the latest SoC Drivers, the latest WiFi drivers, updated all Critical updates and recommended driver updates BUT i did not install any Windows Deffender / Malware Updates or optional (recommended) Windows 8.1 updates / fixes. I took only the drivers. Despite i have the latest WiFi drivers Asus Updater thinks it must update those, just refuse. Inside Asus Updater i have installed all but the WiFi update. Actually i have updated manually SoC and WiFi and let Asus Updater install what was left.

So i will monitor the system. I did not alter any other settings, did not turn off background sync, or anything, powercfg tool not used eather. I think a very carefull reset can solve the problem, but i am totally pissed that you need to do things like that in the first place.

One more finding, just to warn you, dont uninstall and than reinstall Asus Gestures Software, with me, it messes all the touch input - making scrolling with touch impossible - speed is changed, screen is jumping and all sort of other strnge glitches. This is just for the record.'

PS. bios is 225 , so the latest one.
    Last edited by porkovich; 02-21-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    So, I've been playing with my T100 more. I've discovered the following:

1. I get good battery life as long as it sleeps.
    2. It sleeps fine without the dock.
    3. It sleeps fine with the dock.. unless
    a. The tablet and dock get too close when I close it.
    b. The tablet and dock get messed with too much while closed.
    If either happens, it wakes up and won't fall asleep.

My thoughts: what function does the keyboard use to wake the tablet? It's buggy, and I'd rather just disable it and use the button at the top. Any idea if that's possible? I already have waking disabled for the touchpad and the keyboard, but I don't know what "device" or whatever the dock uses to wake the tablet.

If I can disable it, I think I'll have this where I want it. It's not even remotely a pain to wake the thing manually with a button press, especially given the alternative.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I left it sleeping in the dock last night with 32% remaining, 8 hours later I opened it with 29% . The only change I made was disable wake with keyboard and mouse.

that is pretty good right? if I disable updates and wifi while sleeping it should be the best I could do probably

im running 225 bios

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, that's similar to what I saw. I think most people are having issues with the thing waking up when it should be asleep, and the keyboard and touchpad are definitely causing wake-up issues. I still feel like I have to be careful when putting it to sleep, as it can wake up when closed if jostled too much. For longer periods, I'm just turning it off entirely. However, just a bit of caution has lead to a huge boost in battery life.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    What is your average predicted battery life using baterry report? Mine says 6 hour 40min. Is that normal?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    One thing that might help all. I noticed that when I had zonealarm set with restrictions set my battery would drain when turned off. Also there where some optional windows updates that might have been doing it as well. I did a windows restore and didn't run those and everythings been fine. What my t100 would do is when I would

Plug a usb hardrive in and shut it down it wouldn't turn back on without effort or it would drain my battery.Only after using the usb hardrive this would happen.
    I suspect the zonealarm or optional windows 8.1 updates messed with the shutdown process in some way.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by killias2 View Post
    I think most people are having issues with the thing waking up when it should be asleep, and the keyboard and touchpad are definitely causing wake-up issues. I still feel like I have to be careful when putting it to sleep, as it can wake up when closed if jostled too much.
    +1 I've just joined the club with a recent purchase. It seems to be interaction between the screen and the touchpad. I put rubber "bumpers" on the keyboard surface that keeps the lid 2-3mm above the touchpad, and the T100 functions as expected - it sleeps (connected standby) when you close the lid and stays that way.

I've contacted ASUS and we'll see how they respond. This just seems to be too dumb a situation to be a "feature" by design.
    MallyRain likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi

Brand new T100, same problem as most here are describing. Without doing much, not trying any of the solutions proposed here, just installing updates and configuring I tested 5-7% drain per HOUR while docked/asleep, three times in a row. Screen was off, so it was not a touchy-touchpad thing. Also, I tried putting the tablet to sleep while docked but with the lid open. Same thing. Then I went to see if it was draining while undocked. 4 hours asleep, 1-2% drain. Much better, suggesting it was the dock that caused the excessive energy consumption. Need to test it some more. Still, it probably is the culprit considering the huge difference coming from just undocking the darn thing. I like the T100, but the amount of stupid tinkering caused by this obvious hardware/software bug/glitch (or a FEATURE (!), as per someone's post quoting a really brilliant ASUS rep) is unacceptable. I seriously consider returning the device. My 13" MacBook Air sleeps for days, works for hours, then sleeps for days again, and then works for some more hours. I can almost forget where I put it's power adapter. I am sincerely amazed how they did it and this experience sets some high expectations, I am sure, but really, battery dying overnight while SLEEPING is an *edit* punch in the face. And to call it a "normal bahavior" is beyond stupid.
    Last edited by Swipe; 03-01-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: forum language guidelines

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MallyRain View Post
    Hi

Brand new T100, same problem as most here are describing. Without doing much, not trying any of the solutions proposed here, just installing updates and configuring I tested 5-7% drain per HOUR while docked/asleep, three times in a row. Screen was off, so it was not a touchy-touchpad thing. Also, I tried putting the tablet to sleep while docked but with the lid open. Same thing. Then I went to see if it was draining while undocked. 4 hours asleep, 1-2% drain. Much better, suggesting it was the dock that caused the excessive energy consumption. Need to test it some more. Still, it probably is the culprit considering the huge difference coming from just undocking the darn thing. I like the T100, but the amount of stupid tinkering caused by this obvious hardware/software bug/glitch (or a FEATURE (!), as per someone's post quoting a really brilliant ASUS rep) is unacceptable. I seriously consider returning the device. My 13" MacBook Air sleeps for days, works for hours, then sleeps for days again, and then works for some more hours. I can almost forget where I put it's power adapter. I am sincerely amazed how they did it and this experience sets some high expectations, I am sure, but really, battery dying overnight while SLEEPING is an *edit\8 punch in the face. And to call it a "normal bahavior" is beyond stupid.
    The battery size of the T100 does not compare to your Apple's, so the example is not really valid, is it? You are comparing apples and pears, so to say.

You might want to have a look at the scheduler activity in Windows or the quality of your wireless connection since the same complaints are quite common with phones (Android, iOS) and often can be linked to over-active apps or bad connections causing the device to put in extra effort to maintain it.
    Last edited by Swipe; 03-01-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Asus T100 Sleep battery drain! Resolved!!

I got my new T100 for 2 days. I love it. The only problem is the battery drain while it sleeps. I search some posts and finally find the reason and solution! I know different people will have different thinking, but please trust me, if you do it as I say slowly, you can resolve this problem.

The reason of this issue is the Smart Gesture software, it always set the touchpad to wakeup the computer. You can see this activity in the system log. And because the touchpad is too sensitive, every time you close the lip then the touchpad wakeup the computer immediately. That's why you can find out there is a user input wakeup follow the close lip standby request in the system log.

The way to resolve this is. Press the power button to sleep, wait for 5 seconds or more, until you do the testing touching of the touchpad, if the computer won't wakeup while you touch, then you can close the lip safely. You can keep your battery overnight now

Another way is add a hibernate shortcut to desktop and start screen. That's shutdown.exe -h. But it take a little bit long time to startup. If you do so, your computer doesn't use any battery no matter how long you don't use it. Because I found the new standby power state of windows system will do some background maintenance job, like windows update or virus scanning. It's not that save power.

[off-topic commercial link removed]
    Last edited by Swipe; 03-01-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: link removed as per forum guidelines

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links