*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times

Exclamation Battery Life Tested and Tracked - the Results Show

Several years ago when I bought my Android Transformer TF101, one of the first things I noticed was that battery life could vary significantly depending on settings. Eventually, it was learned by most users that WIFI and display brightness were 2 of the biggest impact points on not only the TF101 tablet but many others.

Over several months, I did extensive testing, research, tracking, and follow-up testing on multiple aspects of the TF101. Several months after the TF101 was released, an app called Auto Airplane mode was released by a 3rd party developer - this essentially allowed you to configure your tablet to turn off WIFI whenever closing the tablet/keyboard dock or putting it into standby/idle mode - would automatically turn back on is about 1-2 seconds after opening up or pressing the power button. In a nutshell, when you closed it or hit the power button into standby - WIFI turned off to save battery life.

On the ASUS T100TA device, this can only currently be replicated by manually turning off WIFI in the right side swipe menu before going into idle or standby. After extensive research...I have learned that this is a Windows 8 issue, not a device-specific issue. I would anticipate Microsoft and/or 3rd party developers will address this in the form of configurability and/or a configurable app sometime in the near term.

Meanwhile...some test results after 1 week of T100 testing:

[Please note that another factor is what apps are installed and running on the T100 - I had no apps actively started - closing up all active programs. I also refrained from using the device during test periods other than turn on the units from standby and reading the battery levels remaining.]

Over the past week, I have conducted a number of tests to determine the impact of WIFI on or off within the idle/standby state. I started with my T100 at 100% full charge.

When turning off WIFI only on my T100 - the remaining battery life in standby for 12 hours dropped to about 96-97% (varied very slightly day to day, but not much of a loss). Assuming you roll this out on a daily basis...it's about 6-8% per day.

When leaving WIFI turned on (active) on the T100 - the remaining battery life in standby for 12 hours in similar conditions, it dropped to about
    92-94% (again...it varied slightly per day).

Temperature, T100 configuration, and other factors may contribute to results. Your mileage may also vary.

My basic conclusion was that much like my tests with the TF101 tablet a few years ago...the T100 tablet battery life is indeed impacted by WIFI during standby/idle mode. Over 5 days, this could be significant enough to add one additional day before recharging was needed.

Hopefully we see something like "Auto Airplane Mode" configurability or from a 3rd party for WIN8 soon. I would not be surprised to see Microsoft address in in a future WIN 8.1 update.
    Jeffrey and Maine_Coon like this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Administrator
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    976 times
    Nice post. Thanks for sharing...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Turned on Airplane mode and put it to sleep for one hour. It lost 10% of the battery in 1 hour!
    something weird is going on with my T100.

Update:

Downloaded and installed Battery Optimizer http://www.reviversoft.com/battery-optimizer/

Killed couple of processes it reported as "most CPU-consuming". Will update in an hour.

I totally refuse to lower Brightness from 100% BTW.
    Last edited by Maine_Coon; 12-14-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times

my test

some good points in the 1st post i also will try Battery Optimizer software.

I have done my first test on charging with original usb cable; i drained tablet and then while shutdown i charged it to 100% in just under 3 hours and 15 minutes

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine_Coon View Post
    Turned on Airplane mode and put it to sleep for one hour. It lost 10% of the battery in 1 hour!
    something weird is going on with my T100.
    I just swipe to turn off WIFI...and then tested to get the reported results.

Agree that there are a number of settings that can use up the battery as well...including how much brightness is turned up. I have mine up pretty high as well.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    just as i am writing i am testing sleep mode and WiFi:

1. When i sleep tablet and ping it from a pc, after a min i get time out
    2. After 5 mins of continues ping, i start to get reply again

Of course WiFi on is not helping to preserve battery in sleep mode

ps: i have fresh install OS and know exactly what applications are installed

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Update:

I have found the offender and killed him

It is a process called AsPatchTouchPanel.exe.

After 1 hour sleep 0% battery loss.

Wifi is on, brightness 100%

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine_Coon View Post
    Update:

I have found the offender and killed him

It is a process called AsPatchTouchPanel.exe.

After 1 hour sleep 0% battery loss.

Wifi is on, brightness 100%
    That exe seems to be an Asus utility to patch the built in Windows 8 touch drivers. Does killing it have any detrimental effect on using the touchpad or screen? Does the exe automatically restart when the system wakes?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    That exe seems to be an Asus utility to patch the built in Windows 8 touch drivers. Does killing it have any detrimental effect on using the touchpad or screen? Does the exe automatically restart when the system wakes?
    1 - Yes.
    2 - Not that I noticed. In any case being able to put the tab to sleep without massive battery drainage would overweight any potential benefits of this utility.

3 - This exe not just restarts. I am pretty sure the system is unable to shut it down during sleep. But not anymore I killed it and deleted the folder from C:\Program Data where it used to reside
    Last edited by Maine_Coon; 12-14-2013 at 07:24 PM.

rscheller
    I tried Battery Optimizer on my T100... looked like an OK program but... it disabled my anti virus (Avast) and the only way I could get Avast re-enabled was to uninstall Battery Optimizer. Ooops!!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links