Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Same here.

The 3 components that use the bulk of the battery power are the display, WIFI, and of course the SSD.

With the WIFI setting turned to OFF, the unit power button pressed to OFF, and the tablet/keyboard folded up into the "closed" position...the battery is still at 98% after 7 1/2 hours of sitting dormant with no AC adapter attached.
    What do you mean 'the unit power button pressed to OFF'?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    5 times
    Is it bad if I leave my T100 constantly plugged in for charging? Whenever I'm at my desk I keep it plugged in.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by id3alistic View Post
    Is it bad if I leave my T100 constantly plugged in for charging? Whenever I'm at my desk I keep it plugged in.
    yes it will damage battery, eventually it wont hold charge

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Depends what data you want to believe.

I have a TF101 SUS Android tablet that is plugged in charging whenever I don't use it. After more than 2 1/2 years...it still holds 100% of its charge just fine and battery life is still as strong as day one. I know of several other folks with the very same experience.

That said...over the past few years...have read conflicting information/opinions/data on whether or not this a good practice. It comes down to who's data/opinions you want to accept. Personal experience here indicates there is no harm no foul in keeping your unit on the charger when not in use.

Your mileage may vary.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times

I have a TF101 SUS Android tablet that is plugged in charging whenever I don't use it. After more than 2 1/2 years...it still holds 100% of its charge just fine and battery life is still as strong as day one. I know of several other folks with the very same experience.

That said...over the past few years...have read conflicting information/opinions/data on whether or not this a good practice. It comes down to who's data/opinions you want to accept. Personal experience here indicates there is no harm no foul in keeping your unit on the charger when not in use.

Your mileage may vary.
    i have seen over years laptops with bad battery, they were typically used as desktop at home with charger plugged in always, thinnk battery works best when you use its charge with out total drain.

perhaps some devices now have stop charge even when charger is plugged in however for instance on asus t100 if its 100% and charger is still plugged in OS sees it as connected to charger and that tells me that charger is still feeding the tablet

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    I had a couple of laptop batteries die after being constantly plugged in.
    It was a few years back.

Maybe new technology prevents it from happening.
    Still, I use my laptops in the on/off plugged state.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Here's the thing...

• Lithium batteries prefer smaller frequent charges to massive "nearly empty to full" deep cycle charges. That is scientific fact.
    • Chargers & their devices are supposed to be "intelligent" and will stop charging when they register the battery is full. But if you have your device powered on, with the screen in use, then it is likely that the charger will be permanently providing charge to your device in order to counter the battery drain that will be taking place naturally in use. That, on balance, is unlikely to be good for your charger or for the calibration / wear of your battery.
    • My advice to you is that if you have the T100 powered on while at your desk then best practise would be to refrain from plugging your T100 into the charger permanently until part way through your working day. Set a repeating alarm for your normal work days so that you are reminded to plug in the charger at the optimum time that ensures your device is fully charged for the time that you leave the office. That way, you both protect the life of your charger, treat your battery with the best charging practise & still have a fully charged device when you leave.
    • If your T100 is turned off, and has a partially charged battery, then plugging it in to charge for a number of hours each day so that you have smaller, frequent charges & a fully charged device as a result would be a good thing.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by janner43; 12-16-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    MA83 likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    It will shorten the number of cycles your battery will have, yes. The best thing you can do is not discharge your battery completely and not top it up all the time. Ideally if you can keep it above 50% and below 95% most of the time, your battery will last up to three times as long as it will if you run it down to 5-10% all the time and/or keep it plugged in and pegged at 100% all the time.

This isn't an old wive's tale or a guess or some random speculation. It's a scientific fact determined by a lot of testing done by people who really understand how these batteries work. I wouldn't listen to anyone else's theory unless they have at least as much credible data to back it up as these guys do:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times

Your mileage may vary.
    I've never seen ANY data contradicting what the Battery University guys say, i.e. that the most longevity will be realized if you don't deep discharge the battery or keep it pegged at 100% all the time. I have seen a lot of people claim that based upon anecdotal evidence, but I will chose the scientific method over "seat of the pants" opinions every time.

I have been following their recommendations more or less for a while with great results. I did virtually the opposite with my MacBook Air before I knew better and after 2 years the battery life is probably 60% what it was new, if that.

Looking at solid scientific evidence from people who are experts and have done formal testing, combined with personal experience which bears the results that confirm everything they said, I'm pretty convinced. It would take some extradordinary evidence to convince me otherwise at this point.

I wish I had known this before I started using my MBA plugged in all the time and frequently draining the battery to near zero, but alas I didn't. Now I am paying the price. I'll never make that mistake again though..

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    46 times
    Just to let you guys know, I had to bring back AsPatchTouchPanel.exe, otherwise my touchpad refused to work.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links