Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy poor battery life- should I RMA?

Hi all, for some reason, i can just not get the advertised battery life out of my transformer. with a fresh install of windows 8, at 40% brightness wifi surfing test, i can only get about 7.5 hours on a full charge, and less than 3 while gaming. i can hardly get 10 hours with the tablet sitting there doing nothing. am i overreacting, or should i exchange for one with a better battery?

thanks!

adam

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by abarryford View Post
    Hi all, for some reason, i can just not get the advertised battery life out of my transformer. with a fresh install of windows 8, at 40% brightness wifi surfing test, i can only get about 7.5 hours on a full charge, and less than 3 while gaming. i can hardly get 10 hours with the tablet sitting there doing nothing. am i overreacting, or should i exchange for one with a better battery?

thanks!

adam
    Yes...you should get better battery life...

That said...there are many settings that can affect the battery's charge...and perhaps it might be premature to rush to judgement.

In addition, it's important to make sure you are current on you BIOS and drivers on the unit.

Please check the other threads in this section - several deal with the latest v2.2.0 BIOS (and all the improvements), as well as other driver updates that have been released within recent weeks. Many of these updates can positively effect the battery life.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    I just wonder...there is one setting in display options "display power saving option". is this something usefull, eg to set it at max battery?

and is there a similar option awailable for wifi? the wifi works very good on this tablet and i wonder if i lower itş power it would still work good but might give me some extra minutes of battery life?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    I can bet your tablet is fine, your usage time is ok and you cannot compare your usage patterns with other people's. You may have a weak Wi-Fi signal, for example. But the T100 currently has some issues with battery draining faster than it should, even when sitting in sleep mode. It can drain in one night if docked. Hopefully some kind of update will fix this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I really like this tablet but the standby drain is killing me. It fluctuates all the time. Sometimes I lose 10% overnight, sometimes 30%. I could live with 10 but I can't produce consistent results. I don't really know what to do but I find it very difficult to believe that manufacturers aren't seeing serious battery drain from this so called connected standby if they've done any testing. I wish Microsoft would give the option to turn it off. But it's hard to get the advertised 10 hours of usage since you aren't going to use it for 10 hours straight as almost every time you sit it down for a few hours it is continuously draining.

I really don't think a new battery would help much as I see this as an issue with connected standby all together. I feel like every time I set it down, I need to hibernate (using the command to force hibernation). That's the only way my tablet isn't dead overnight. It's a bit of a pain, I think the best solution would be if Windows would allow the atom processors to go to sleep and then hibernate after so many minutes/hours of inactivity like most other processors offer. With mixed usage, I still think I get about 8 hours on a charge, with any lost usage due to stand by drain. But I don't blame that on this tablet as I've tried other tablets with the previous version of atom (Clover Trail) and experienced similar standby issues.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Have you thought about total shutdown for now?
    Because it boots up so quickly.
    Of course one should not have to shut down like this; only until Asus or Ms programs a fix...

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jordant2 View Post
    I really like this tablet but the standby drain is killing me. It fluctuates all the time. Sometimes I lose 10% overnight, sometimes 30%.
    Those symptoms typically point to something being configured on the T100 that is using the power when in "standby/dormant" mode.

Bluetooth, WIFI, and the internal SSD drive are among the 3 largest battery users, along with the graphics card.

If you have (for example) your Bluetooth turned on...it will use battery power even if you have the screen "powered off". The same holds true for WIFI.

It is hoped that a future BIOS update will allow for these to go into a true dormant state when powering off the screen.

One thing you might try is to use the charms menu (swipe from the right side of the screen) and put the unit into the airplane mode ON position and then turn off your display. When doing this, my fully charged T100 uses only 2-3% battery power when totally unplugged from the charger over a 15 hour time period.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I'll try airplane mode. I'm actually trying to create a task that consistently calls my hibernate shortcut and forces hibernation 30 minutes after the connected standby starts (aka when the device goes to sleep). Sometimes it executes, sometimes it doesn't. Once I get this perfected, it will be like a "normal" pc. After a few minutes it goes to sleep, and then after a half hour of no use, it hibernates.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links