Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Recommendations for Powerbanks / External battery backups that can charge the T100

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    8 times

Recommendations for Powerbanks / External battery backups that can charge the T100

Anker Astro 3E 10000mAh External Battery (Black)

I confirm that this charger works with the provided ASUS charging cable and with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 white charging cable.

I set the Anker Astro to 12V (iPad setting on the Output S port which is 3A) and it charged my T100 an additional 70%.

This is good if you cannot access a wall outlet and are on the go for emergencies longer than 10 hours.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    7 times
    I've got an Anker Astero 3 12000mAh charger that works as well. I'd be worried setting the charge voltage at 10V, as the adapter mine came with is rated 5V@2A. But hey. :P
    Asus T100TA 32GB

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    Charging a 5V device at 10 or 12 volt is NOT a good idea and very likely to cause damage! They call is Ohm's law for a reason...

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Funnel View Post
    Anker Astro 3E 10000mAh External Battery (Black)

I confirm that this charger works with the provided ASUS charging cable and with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 white charging cable.

I set the Anker Astro to 12V (iPad setting on the Output S port which is 3A) and it charged my T100 an additional 70%.

This is good if you cannot access a wall outlet and are on the go for emergencies longer than 10 hours.
    The anker device only outputs 5 volts at 3 amps via the USB port. It does not output 12 volts.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    2 times
    i have Anker Astro 3E as well, it is rated up to 3A via the USB port so I guess our Asus T100 will regulate the exact current it requires from the external charger. it requires AT LEAST 2A and all the other chargers are rated either exactly at 2A or 2.1A which is not good for the T100 if the chargers are lousy and drops below 2A causing the T100 to potentially get fried

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loba View Post
    it requires AT LEAST 2A and all the other chargers are rated either exactly at 2A or 2.1A which is not good for the T100 if the chargers are lousy and drops below 2A causing the T100 to potentially get fried
    You are confusing amps and volts. Less amperage just means it will charge slower. Less voltage can / will cause problems.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks for the correction. There are 3 output ports. Two are USB 5V 2.1A according to the paperwork that came with it and a 3rd output port that is switchable between 9V and 12V which lets me charge up digital cameras, camcorders, laptops and anything else that the various round plugs will fit into. Here's more info: AndroidSPIN | Anker Astro 3; 10,000 mAh of pure external battery power at a price we can all Afford

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Loba View Post
    i have Anker Astro 3E as well, it is rated up to 3A via the USB port so I guess our Asus T100 will regulate the exact current it requires from the external charger. it requires AT LEAST 2A and all the other chargers are rated either exactly at 2A or 2.1A which is not good for the T100 if the chargers are lousy and drops below 2A causing the T100 to potentially get fried
    If you plugged the device into a 500 amp 5 volt charger it would not matter, the unit can only use the 2.1 amps that it draws. Conversely if you plugged it into a .5 amp (1/2) it would only charge slower it would not harm the device in either scenario.

Think about a house. A house has 200 amp at 220 volt service. Divided into smaller circuits of lesser amp capacity. I can plug a light which draws 1 amp into a 15 amp circuit and it only uses one amp. But if I plug a 20 amp motor into a 15 amp circuit it will trip the breaker because it uses more amperage than the circuit allows. A battery is always the "regulator" like in a car, the alternator can output 60-120 amps and will recharge the battery. As soon as you start the car, the alternator outputs 40 amps or so for a few minutes to recharge the battery, then tapers off to 3-5 amps, till you energize electric accessories, the headlights draw about 10 amps max. Just because the alternator outputs 60 amps, does not change the brightness or cause the headlights to use more electricity.
    Less amps = slower charge, more amps = faster but only up to the limit the device battery will accept.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.
    Last edited by osmosis; 12-11-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    2 times
    ahh ook, i messed up voltage with the current. Even though this is rated 5V, it kinda dropped below 5V when 2A current is drawn, which is why i avoided this and went for anker instead

Review of the New Trent IMP120D iCarrier 12000mAh Heavy Duty 2A/1A Dual USB Ports Portable Charger Review | Battery analysis and reviewsBattery analysis and reviews

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    7 times
    As long as it doesn't drop below 4.75V you're OK. USB is 4.75 to 5.25 Volts by the specs.
    Asus T100TA 32GB

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links