Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Recommendations for Powerbanks / External battery backups that can charge the T100

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    7 times
    HWInfoCharging.jpgThis is the charge rate from the pack with the tablet and dock fairly idle and the screen brightness set low. If I max out the brightness, the charge rate goes down to a few hundred mW. Interestingly, having the dock attached reduces the charge rate by 300mW automatically. I've got the US version w/o the hard drive, so I have to wonder how much the charge rate drops on the Euro versions w/ the 500GB laptop drive in the dock.

ETA: After some more tests, I'm not sure what to think about the charge rate. If I attach the hard drive and crank the brightness up, the charge rate can peak at 5W. But, under the same conditions without a charger, it says -6W. LOL. When the charger is attached and the hard drive stressed, the tablet slowly dies. I have no idea. But the charger does work.
    Last edited by vpr5703; 01-17-2014 at 06:28 AM.
    Asus T100TA 32GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    been looking at this one,
    Battstation Tough Dual Pro 12000 mAh
    debating on whether to buy or not, not sure about charging the T100 but i'm sure it can handle my tablets & phones......i would order the Anker if i had a shipping option available to me, i can only order in-store or P.O. Box so i'm limited.
    Asus T100 64GB
    Asus MeMO Pad HD7
    Asus Nexus 7 fhd
    Acer A210
    HP-TP 32GB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vpr5703 View Post
    HWInfoCharging.jpgThis is the charge rate from the pack with the tablet and dock fairly idle and the screen brightness set low. If I max out the brightness, the charge rate goes down to a few hundred mW. Interestingly, having the dock attached reduces the charge rate by 300mW automatically. I've got the US version w/o the hard drive, so I have to wonder how much the charge rate drops on the Euro versions w/ the 500GB laptop drive in the dock.

ETA: After some more tests, I'm not sure what to think about the charge rate. If I attach the hard drive and crank the brightness up, the charge rate can peak at 5W. But, under the same conditions without a charger, it says -6W. LOL. When the charger is attached and the hard drive stressed, the tablet slowly dies. I have no idea. But the charger does work.
    Thanks for the info!

That is pretty close to what my guess was for the dock, .3w. I figured low of .1 up to maybe .3w.

300mw also correspond to, roughly, a 10% reduction in runtime if using the T100 in rather low power tasks. Much more negligble if hammering with gaming or something where you'd probably only have a run time of 5-6hrs anyway (in which case the dock might knock of 5-6% runtime).

At a guess, the HDD is going to add a MINIMUM of another 100mw. That is the sleep state power draw of the Travelstar Hitatchi HDD in the dock. The standby is 200mw. Not sure how low a power state it'll go to with the USB3->SATA bridge in the dock. There is also the extra power of the bridge at work and probably voltage conversion.

You may be able to check with your external HDD though. If drive spin-down is supported on your USB3 enclosure, and it is a low power 2.5" 7mm drive in there, the standby/sleep states are probably pretty equivelent in power draw and the USB3->SATA bridge and voltage converters (it has to convert 5v to break it out to 5v and 3.3v for the SATA power connection for the HDD) are probably roughly the same.

From what I know of voltage converters, you are probably looking at an additional few tens of mw with the drive sleeping/standby. Figure 125-250mw of extra draw without every using the HDD in the dock.

At idle, its going to go up to 600-1000mw of power draw for the HDD and read/write activity you are looking at around 1500-2000mw of power draw (1.5-2w).

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Threads merged
    Thread title edited & expanded
    Thread adopted as the "official" thread for this subject on the T100
    Thread stuck
    Swipe likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been trying to understand how the t100 behaves with backup battery chargers after buying one and having trouble getting it to work. The battery I bought is an Anker Astro E5 which has a 5V2A and a 5V1A port and 15000mAh capacity.

The cable used appears to be very important in whether the device charges or not. Out of 4 USB cables I tried (including the one that came with the t100) I found only one cable would charge, a USB multi-cable (with mini, micro, iPhone, etc) that I got from a discount store. Everything else causes Windows to report that the device is charging but when I use hwinfo the figure for remaining battery power goes down. Strangely all four cables charge the device when connected to the mains plug.

At the moment I'm not sure what it is about that cable that makes the t100 charge. It is a lot shorter than all other cables I tried, but I think it may also be charge-only whereas the others are probably charge+data. Unfortunately I don't have any other cables to test with.

What I would say right now is if you are having trouble getting the t100 to charge using a backup battery then try some different cables and see how you get on.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Romoss-20000.../dp/B00FTVUK0A

can this powerbank charge our unit?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boeight View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Romoss-20000.../dp/B00FTVUK0A

can this powerbank charge our unit?
    I opted for this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CEZBKTO as it supports 4A max out / 2.4A on one channel
    Last edited by r4nd0m; 05-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello, i was wondering if the Anker Astro Pro 2 would be able to charge my T100TA (DK026H/z3775/64GB+500GB)? I got an EC TECHNOLOGY® New 22400mAh*from Amazon but it wouldn't charge, only discharge the tablet using various microusb cables and the provided one. It wouldn't even charge the Tf700 of my girlfriend at all. Whilst it charged my S4 just fine so the pack did work. But I decided to return it and look for something else. Anyone got some advice? Thanks.

P.S. greetings from The Netherlands

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazuya17 View Post
    Hello, i was wondering if the Anker Astro Pro 2 would be able to charge my T100TA (DK026H/z3775/64GB+500GB)? I got an EC TECHNOLOGY® New 22400mAh*from Amazon but it wouldn't charge, only discharge the tablet using various microusb cables and the provided one. It wouldn't even charge the Tf700 of my girlfriend at all. Whilst it charged my S4 just fine so the pack did work. But I decided to return it and look for something else. Anyone got some advice? Thanks.

P.S. greetings from The Netherlands
    If you get the 2nd Gen version of the Astro Pro 2 it should work. It claims to have up to 3A per port

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Portable charger help/ advice

Hi Guys.

Need some help/ advice.

After a portable charge for my T100 32GB with 500GB hard drive.

Which of these would be best:
    Anker® Astro E5 15000mAh
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?tag=diy0c-20

Or
    Anker® 2nd Gen Astro3 12000mAh
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/12000mAh-Por...ds=anker+astro

Would they both work? Read somewhere that Astro E5 works but depends on USB cable?

Any advice/ experience with the above would be appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by janner43; 08-07-2014 at 01:25 AM. Reason: THREAD MERGED

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links