Thread: Battery issues

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Battery issues

My T100 is thus far amazing. However, after installing battery bar I've noticed that my battery wear level is is now at 8.2%. It reached a high of 9%, at which point I fully discharged it (booting into the BIOS and letting the machine run out of battery). That dropped the wear level to 7%. But every time I charge the device (I charge it while turned off) and power back up to check the wear level it's about 0.2% to 0.5 % higher. It's now made its way back to 8.2% from 7%. Is anyone else having battery wear issues? Anyone else with high wear levels? I'm a bit concerned because I would expect to see these numbers after about a year of use, but I've had it for less than a month.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Could be a issue with the App, remember the T100 is running Windows 8.1 and is a UEFI FW...

BatteryBar 3.5.5 was one of the first fix for Windows 8 but that was before 8.1 release... They just released version 3.6.2 on September 13, but change log doesn't seem to mention 8.1 and so that doesn't mean it's 100% accurate for every new device...

App has a bug report feature, so you can see if the developer has anything to say about it...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Could be a issue with the App, remember the T100 is running Windows 8.1 and is a UEFI FW...

BatteryBar 3.5.5 was one of the first fix for Windows 8 but that was before 8.1 release... They just released version 3.6.2 on September 13, but change log doesn't seem to mention 8.1 and so that doesn't mean it's 100% accurate for every new device...

App has a bug report feature, so you can see if the developer has anything to say about it...
    Thanks for the reply. I thought about that possibility, so I've been opening up a command prompt and typing in "powercfg -batteryreport" to have Windows generate battery reports. They all show the same wear level as battery bar. This is to be expected since both approaches pull their data from the ACPI. A quick google search of "acpi asus battery wear" returns similar problems with other ASUS models, so I'm wondering if maybe the T100 should be added to that list, or if I (and/or these other people) just got a defective battery.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    That leaves it either being a FW issue or the battery wear level being high to start with... but if it keeps changing then it's more likely a FW issue...

It's a budget model and budget batteries tend to be dumb batteries that don't provide much feedback to the system on its status. So, the system basically does a best guess estimate and runs with it.

Batterybar and other 3rd party apps compensate for such cases by developing a system profile to better calculate run times based on actual run time results and thus why the accuracy improves over time... So maybe just let the system run until it runs out and a few times and see if its estimate stabilizes?

Though, budget batteries could also start out old as they tend to be lower quality cells... Have to wait and see if other T100 owners note the same behavior or not... unless one of the two resident Asus reps/board members care to jump in and provide a definite answer sooner...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    That leaves it either being a FW issue or the battery wear level being high to start with... but if it keeps changing then it's more likely a FW issue...

It's a budget model and budget batteries tend to be dumb batteries that don't provide much feedback to the system on its status. So, the system basically does a best guess estimate and runs with it.

Batterybar and other 3rd party apps compensate for such cases by developing a system profile to better calculate run times based on actual run time results and thus why the accuracy improves over time... So maybe just let the system run until it runs out and a few times and see if its estimate stabilizes?

Though, budget batteries could also start out old as they tend to be lower quality cells... Have to wait and see if other T100 owners note the same behavior or not... unless one of the two resident Asus reps/board members care to jump in and provide a definite answer sooner...
    Thanks for all the insight. I think I've (at least for now) figured out how to consistently drop the battery wear level shown by both battery bar and the powercfg -batteryreport command. First, a little background.

Since I first started charging the T100 I noticed that eventually (say after 2 to 3 hours) the charger itself got hot. Today, for an unrelated reason, I was only able to charge my device (while it was on) for about an hour at a time. Each time I checked the battery wear level and voila! It dropped! Then I checked the charger and it was nowhere near how hot is usually is. According to battery bar, the "magic" number is 30%: the two times I charged my device it charged 30% each time.

Conclusion (for now): for those (if any) having similar problems, try charging your device while on in 30% chunks. I've already recovered about 30 minutes of capacity.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I noticed today that my battery wear level is already at 24%... Not very happy about this. Will try the methods that Oefum82 tried to see if that makes a difference. Do you guys think I should contact ASUS otherwise?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
    I noticed today that my battery wear level is already at 24%... Not very happy about this. Will try the methods that Oefum82 tried to see if that makes a difference. Do you guys think I should contact ASUS otherwise?
    I have the same issue. Have you found a solution ?

Thx

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillaid View Post
    I have the same issue. Have you found a solution ?

Thx
    I didn't find a solution unfortunately. Ended up getting it exchanged from my retailer.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
    I didn't find a solution unfortunately. Ended up getting it exchanged from my retailer.
    What retailer and what is the new battery wear?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah same problem here only charged 3 times now 10% wear. So annoying. Guess will try the 30% charge sometime. thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links