Thread: Battery issues

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oefum82 View Post
    Thanks for all the insight. I think I've (at least for now) figured out how to consistently drop the battery wear level shown by both battery bar and the powercfg -batteryreport command. First, a little background.....
    Hi,
    How do I find out what my batt's wear level is? I tried the powercfg /batteryreport but have no idea where the wear level is indicated.
    Thanks.

Also, recently Wired.com recommends the 40%-80% "rule". Charge your battery when it gets to 40% and stop charging when it's 80% full to increase cycles.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tbogunro View Post
    What retailer and what is the new battery wear?
    ExcaliburPC and 7.8%

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Mine was at 8.2% new. Now its 9.7%. It jumps around between those values slowly getting worse overall. When I first received the unit the battery was dead at 0% which I find disturbing given this chemistry (LiPo) is really bad and can damage the capacity and even increase the risk of an internal short. I also think the inclusion of an overcharge protector would be good to stop the battery voltage getting charged to high so you can extend the cycle performance and retain capacity. Typically if you charge to 4.25v you will get max possible capacity but only around 300 cycles till you start to lose charge capacity. If you only charge to about 4.15v you can extend that to around 900 cycles and reduce your battery life by about 10%. The same rule can be taken to near extremes and you can only charge to 3.8v and only discharge to 3.5v and ud have a battery that didnt wear out for over 100,000 cycles or more but with just under 30% of original capacity. In an ideal world simply not discharging past 3.1v and not charging above 4.15v gives you the best blend of improved battery life and remaining capacity. Saying that if you upgrade your system every year then don't worry 300 cycles is fine to just rince your battery and sell/discard the tablet lol.
    ndbpro likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AceTK View Post
    Mine was at 8.2% new. Now its 9.7%. It jumps around between those values slowly getting worse overall. When I first received the unit the battery was dead at 0% which I find disturbing given this chemistry (LiPo) is really bad and can damage the capacity and even increase the risk of an internal short. I also think the inclusion of an overcharge protector would be good to stop the battery voltage getting charged to high so you can extend the cycle performance and retain capacity. Typically if you charge to 4.25v you will get max possible capacity but only around 300 cycles till you start to lose charge capacity. If you only charge to about 4.15v you can extend that to around 900 cycles and reduce your battery life by about 10%. The same rule can be taken to near extremes and you can only charge to 3.8v and only discharge to 3.5v and ud have a battery that didnt wear out for over 100,000 cycles or more but with just under 30% of original capacity. In an ideal world simply not discharging past 3.1v and not charging above 4.15v gives you the best blend of improved battery life and remaining capacity. Saying that if you upgrade your system every year then don't worry 300 cycles is fine to just rince your battery and sell/discard the tablet lol.
    Good point, but I do want to say this. I use to worry about wear level and charge cycles, making sure I was doing the right thing, until I said screw it and just enjoy the tablet, charging whenever I want and using it a lot while charging. My wear level went from about 9% to 4-5%. The thing is wear level is always changing and the best thing you can do for Li-ion is USE and CHARGE whenever. Whether you charge at 90%, 50%, or 0% or use it while charging..who cares. These batteries really are much better than the past, your job is to relax and enjoy the device, let the batteries handle itself lol. Yes the "experts" are right about smaller discharges being better but at the end of the day I found out that me not caring actually was beneficial. Charge frequently or not, just ENJOY the device .
    Last edited by tbogunro; 12-20-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    ndbpro likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    18 times
    I too wonder if the wear level reports are accurate. Anyway, this is a budget device for me. I'm not too concerned about preserving battery life as much as I would with my $1500 MacBook Air. If my T100 dies I'll just buy another, but I fully anticipate my machine to last the two years that I have warranty for (1 year Asus, doubled by my credit card). In 2 years I'll be surprised if I'm still using my T100 lol.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    I guess the part that puzzles me is that some people are willing to trust a free or cheap app to be 100% accurate when it comes to measuring the battery level of a $300+ device.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetofu View Post
    In 2 years I'll be surprised if I'm still using my T100 lol.
    I totally agree with this! I don't even keep my phone for two years. For me to keep this for two years, it would have to get an update that make the battery last twenty hours! Don't get me wrong, I really like this device and I love the price, but I'm not going to monitor the wear. I'd say if your getting close to the end of your warranty, just rma it if the battery isn't holding a good charge.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Looks like we may have yet another duplicated discussion about battery experiences that needs to be merged into the main one...
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Id like to report that last night I went to bed with 11% battery and shut down thinking that it would actually shut down. By shutdown I mean power off and draw no power. I get up to find that my battery is totally flat and the system consumed the power in connected standby even though I shut it down. Annoyingly on top of that my battery wear has jumped to 17.9%. Now to ensure that it does not go into connected standby I press and hold down the power for 8 seconds using the override power cycle feature. Honestly if the override didn't work id of peeled it apart and pulled the battery. I'm in control grrr lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links